Trunk Rack

June 12, 2006, 8:11 a.m.

What about ground clearance with ur bikes? Do you have to take off the front wheels?

June 12, 2006, 11:24 a.m.

I have a Saris Sentinal, and my only complaint is that the cups that hold the bike are made of rigid plastic and scratched up my downtube. I filled the cups with shoe-goo, and no more problems. I have had 3 dh/freeride bike on the rack with no issues other than a little space fiddling. I would only recommend putting 2 on. I have been happy with this rack and have been using it for almost 2 years now. I chose not to go with the Bones rack because it seemed like there was a lot of issues with carrying big bikes.

June 12, 2006, 9:16 p.m.

What about ground clearance with ur bikes? Do you have to take off the front wheels?

Ground clearance can be an issue, depending on how you mount your bike. You can often mount it so that a fork/prong is under the downtube, in which case ground clearance won't be an issue. But if you have to use one of those steer tube to seat post adapters, the front wheel can be quite low if the bike has a long fork.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

June 12, 2006, 10:23 p.m.

http://www.northshoreracks.com/

when your hauling DH rigs and money is not an object support your local mom and pop.

peace.

Studio B Fine Art and Photographic Prints

June 12, 2006, 10:26 p.m.

They don't have a 1-1/4" version of their rack.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

June 12, 2006, 10:31 p.m.

A 2 bike model is being developed for the 1 1\4 inch receiver, but the release date for this model is yet to be determined.

not quite yet…

Studio B Fine Art and Photographic Prints

June 12, 2006, 11:07 p.m.

Thanks for stay'n on topic with the whole budget, me being a broke student, idea… Honestly, There seems to be FAR better racks for the dollar out there

Dave

http://www.northshoreracks.com/

when your hauling DH rigs and money is not an object support your local mom and pop.

peace.

June 9, 2007, 4:06 p.m.

Guys, your tounge weight on a hitch has to be devided in half. 200lb tounge weight means 100lbs of rack and bikes. That's two DH rigs MAXIMUM, even that's almost pushing it. The reason is simple leverage, and momentum (roads have bumps)

The best trunk mount is the Yakima right now, it's the most bomber in my opinion, but all trunk mounts are rated to carry 30lbs bike maximum. They are not made for DH rigs, they are only for short trips. If you can spend $3000 on a DH rig, then you should be able to find $500 for a hitch and a real rack.

Also, Single mast Swagman style racks are a poor choice, simply because most newer frames wont' fit without adapters. And ones that do, or with te adapters have clearance issues. I.E a kona stinky's rear wheel will drag on the ground behind a stock 1996 Grand Cherokee with a swagman style rack.

June 9, 2007, 5:41 p.m.

Also, Single mast Swagman style racks are a poor choice, simply because most newer frames wont' fit without adapters. And ones that do, or with te adapters have clearance issues. I.E a kona stinky's rear wheel will drag on the ground behind a stock 1996 Grand Cherokee with a swagman style rack.

You can either:
a) have a welder add a few inches to the rack, which would cost about $50, or
b) mount the adapter in a more creative way so that the wheel doesn't drag.

- Josiah Stamp

- H.G. Wells

June 9, 2007, 5:50 p.m.

or C) spend the additional $75 off the bat, and have a rack that bikes don't fall off of, folds down, folds up for storage and parking, most all bikes fit on, has a real warranty, and doesn't rattle in your hitch like a mofo/