Trek Fuel 29ers

Feb. 17, 2018, 1:05 p.m.

Any thoughts on the Trek Fuel 29er range? 

After years of steel hardtail riding, I've decided that age is beginning to catch up with me (50+ years), but the market has changed dramatically. I live in Wales and our terrain is very similar to the Vancouver terrain (wet, steep and slippery).  Any thoughts on suitably, cheers

Feb. 17, 2018, 4:19 p.m.

When in Britain.....

Last edited by: tungsten on Feb. 17, 2018, 4:20 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 17, 2018, 7:38 p.m.

Posted by: tungsten

When in Britain.....

That is on my list for a bigger travel 29er. Really like that color as well.

Feb. 17, 2018, 9:40 p.m.

I rode one,  I'd echo JBV's take.  Very nice bike, XCish bent.

But man, I'd take one of those Starlings over a couple of Fuels...

Feb. 18, 2018, 1:50 a.m.

Thanks Gents some good insights. The Starlings are beautiful but too niche for me these days, I've owned too many niche bike's and have found difficulties getting parts or upgrades, so I have decided to go mainstream for a change. Sounds like the Trek Fuel is suitable for my less 'radical' riding but can still mix it up if needs be.

If you interested in UK designed bikes these are also very nice and a great company to deal with

http://www.cotic.co.uk/product/rocket

Last edited by: Jasn on Feb. 18, 2018, 1:52 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Bad grammar
Feb. 19, 2018, 11:53 a.m.

Posted by: Jasn

Thanks Gents some good insights. The Starlings are beautiful but too niche for me these days, I've owned too many niche bike's and have found difficulties getting parts or upgrades, so I have decided to go mainstream for a change. Sounds like the Trek Fuel is suitable for my less 'radical' riding but can still mix it up if needs be.

If you interested in UK designed bikes these are also very nice and a great company to deal with

http://www.cotic.co.uk/product/rocket

I spent three rides on a Fuel EX 29 recently in an attempt not to buy a Slash.

It didn't work, but it almost did which seems crazy given how short travel it is compared to the Range I currently ride. 

Basically I felt comfortable riding everything that I usually ride, including drops and jumps and steep techy gnar, but i was closer to what I felt the limit of the bike is. Which is fair - that's why if you want to push harder/feel more couch like there's a Slash in the Trek lineup.

A Remedy 29? I'd not want for anything more i think..

Feb. 19, 2018, 7:47 p.m.

Thanks Gents some good insights. The Starlings are beautiful but too niche for me these days, I've owned too many niche bike's and have found difficulties getting parts or upgrades, ...

Like the shock on the Fuel? I’m a big fan of the Fuel EX but I really don’t like Trek’s use of proprietary shocks.

Feb. 19, 2018, 7:53 p.m.

Posted by: bogey

Thanks Gents some good insights. The Starlings are beautiful but too niche for me these days, I've owned too many niche bike's and have found difficulties getting parts or upgrades, ...

Like the shock on the Fuel? I’m a big fan of the Fuel EX but I really don’t like Trek’s use of proprietary shocks.

Unless I'm mistaken, the reactive /through shaft shocks aren't different sizing or anything, so can be replaced easy enough, you're not stuck looking for a through shaft shock

Feb. 19, 2018, 9:48 p.m.

Posted by: Kevin26

Posted by: bogey

Unless I'm mistaken, the reactive /through shaft shocks aren't different sizing or anything, so can be replaced easy enough, you're not stuck looking for a through shaft shock

The eye to eye length is very long on the thru shaft shock so I can’t see another shock fitting. The shock shaft needs extra room at the bottom to poke through as the shock cycles.

Feb. 19, 2018, 10:04 p.m.

All the new Fuel EX's have a 210x52.5mm shock regardless of Thru Shaft or not. Fox list the DPX2 in 210x52.5 for the Fuel. And the 2017 Fuel EX 5 had a Rockshox Deluxe. Not sure about any others.

Feb. 19, 2018, 10:30 p.m.

Posted by: kiwizak

All the new Fuel EX's have a 210x52.5mm shock regardless of Thru Shaft or not. Fox list the DPX2 in 210x52.5 for the Fuel. And the 2017 Fuel EX 5 had a Rockshox Deluxe. Not sure about any others.

True story but those are not trunnion mount and the lower mount is also quite different. Does Trek make some sort of adapter kit?

Feb. 21, 2018, 12:44 a.m.

Thanks again Chaps, some interesting insights, I've looked at the Transition Smuggler and love it, what I don't love is the weight (I'm not getting any younger you know). Lot of ups where I ride and I need all the help I can get. I'm not overly keen on Orange bike's, the asthetics are wrong for me (an important point, but shallow I know). I like the Norco sight also, but there's a chance of a deal on a Trek so being steered in that direction.

Last edited by: Jasn on Feb. 21, 2018, 12:45 a.m., edited 1 time in total.