Trek Diesel - what kind of front derailleur mount?

Aug. 22, 2009, 2:30 p.m.

Does anybody know what kind of front derailleur mount the Diesel uses? I know you can't run the CTE with a derailleur, but I'm puzzled as to how a derailleur would mount? Since the bikes doesn't have a seat tube to clamp to, is there an inexpensive bottom bracket style mount? Thanks for any help!

Aug. 22, 2009, 5:38 p.m.

you would need a bb mounted deraileur like this
http://bike.shimano.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/us/index/products/mountain/xtr/product.-code-FD-M970-E.-type-.html

edit. just saw one for sale for $30 at http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/list/?q=e+type[HTML_REMOVED]category=17[HTML_REMOVED]pmin=[HTML_REMOVED]pmax=[HTML_REMOVED]region=3

Aug. 22, 2009, 6:52 p.m.

Cool, thanks!

Aug. 30, 2009, 11:11 p.m.

Well, I ran into some issues with the "E" type front derailleur. The derailleur has a hole where it is to be bolted to the frame to stiffen up its mounting. The Diesel does not have a place in the frame for the derailleur to bolt to. I ended up fabricating a bracket out of aluminum angle and using the CTE bolt holes to mount to the frame. I've not routed the cable yet, but making the bracket was a pain in the ass. I wonder how the bike originally came from the factory equipped with a front derailleur back in '03?

I think my set up will work as the derailleur is mounted securely. I found the derailleur on sale at Jenson USA so I got it for around $30. Unfortunately it was a bottom swing so I converted it to a top swing using parts off another derailleur I had. Building up this Diesel took the majority of my weekend and I'm still not done. From cleaning and regreasing pivot bearings, to fabricating new reducers since the shock didn't come with the right ones. I've spent way more time wrenching and making custom parts than I have ever done when building up a frame. But the bike is finally coming together and looks burly!

Aug. 30, 2009, 11:43 p.m.

pics?

Aug. 31, 2009, 1:27 a.m.

The Diesel came with a front der?
I thought it was single ring only, I remember reading about Trek patenting the idea of using that pulley as a der.

Edit: i would have thought your best bet for der would be to fab a mount for one of the new direct mount der, since you seem pretty mechanical.

Looks to me like the diesel with the front der was a different frame to the diesel with the pulley.

Aug. 31, 2009, 9:34 a.m.

Here is a pic of my bike from the Trek website. One of the mounting bosses for the chain torque eliminator (CTE) is visible above the front derailleur.
http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/2003/archive/dieselfreeride

Here is a pic of the 2004 frame. Trek only made the Diesel for two years. It was only available as a frame in 2004. As far as I know, there were no differences between years. The CTE is a non moving bracket with a derailleur pulley wheel inside. On a single ring set up, the CTE basically relocated the chain pull to another location.

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/2004/archive/dieseldownhillframe

Over a week ago, I asked a big bike shop in Anchorage about the front derailleur mount and they didn't know. Said they'd check witht he rep and I've heard nothing since then. I'll try to post pics of my homemade bracket tonight. I'm thinking Trek must have used something to help secure the derailleur.

I bought my frame used so it didn't come with any provisions to mount the front derailleur.

Aug. 31, 2009, 9:06 p.m.

Well got it together and rode it tonight. The front derailleur is working and the bike feels awesome. It is so plush and solid feeling. I noticed it bobs a lot more than my Bullit. It feels like an old Mountain Cycle, but the rear tire seems to dig in for traction. I can't wait to ride it up my technical hill to see how it climbs.

Here are some pics of my bike and my custom derailleur mount. Hope these photos help others out since there is not a lot of info available about the Diesel.

Sept. 1, 2009, 12:38 a.m.

Awesome fork. That was one of the good years.

Good work on making your own parts.

Sept. 1, 2009, 8:55 a.m.

Thanks, I'm so stoked! I've wanted this frame since it originally came out and can still remember seeing it in the dealer brochure back when we had an LBS in town.

I used most of the parts off my Bullit to build the Diesel and I just got the Monster a few weeks ago. I wanted to upgrade from my Jr T but current 888's, Boxxers and Fox 40's were way more than I wanted to spend. I noticed the older Monsters had good reviews on MTBR. Is the primary reason people like the older Monsters due to them being lighter than the newer models? It is super stiff and rides really nice. It feels like my dirt bike fork.

Sept. 1, 2009, 9:22 a.m.

Thanks, I'm so stoked! I've wanted this frame since it originally came out and can still remember seeing it in the dealer brochure back when we had an LBS in town.

I used most of the parts off my Bullit to build the Diesel and I just got the Monster a few weeks ago. I wanted to upgrade from my Jr T but current 888's, Boxxers and Fox 40's were way more than I wanted to spend. I noticed the older Monsters had good reviews on MTBR. Is the primary reason people like the older Monsters due to them being lighter than the newer models? It is super stiff and rides really nice. It feels like my dirt bike fork.

That is awesome! Props for getting it to work!

Yes, most people liked the older Monsters because they weren't obscenely heavy (the '03+ was like 14 lbs) and they just felt better. I had the same fork you do and it was the plushest fork I've ever ridden. Insanely stiff as well.