Transition Siren - First womens specific fr bike

Aug. 17, 2007, 4:44 p.m.

I agree with many others here that the bikes should all be marketed toward body size/weight/application rather than towards a specific gender.

I've never been a good match for the many of the women specific bikes as I am definitely not a in the light-weight category that they all seem to cater towards, yet I am vertically challenged. I always appreciate it when companies market items toward my gender only to discover that according to them I'm not a "women" - in relation to their specifications.

The biking industry (and others that offer women specific sporting items) could learn something for other sports that don't market to genders but have products based on performance, utilizations and size rather than gender. I would rather see items marketing that way rather than whether I have an X or Y chromosone.

"only the good riders wipe out on the easy stuff" - Heathen

Aug. 17, 2007, 5:24 p.m.

OK, I gotta say this.. major props to transition for building bikes people want.

Of course there's a few flaws etc etc.

But they've got a bike out there for almost everyone and at an ok pricepoint.

Marty's Mountain Cycle

Aug. 17, 2007, 10:55 p.m.

For those interested in the bike, there is a review from a ride on Seymour last weekend posted here: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=324051

Aug. 18, 2007, 6:39 a.m.

Devinci makes the Frantik in XS
that's what my girl's rockin'
13" seat tube/21" TT/25"SOH
very very small bike but still a big bike.
it's sprung soft and has 180mm/165mm travel.
way too small for me to even be able to ride.
Mini loves it…..it fits her perfect.

Aug. 18, 2007, 9:29 a.m.

maybe not the first one
http://www.bikes.com/bikes/2007/ladies_only/index.aspx

Aug. 18, 2007, 10:06 a.m.

maybe not the first one
http://www.bikes.com/bikes/2007/ladies_only/index.aspx

The Ladies Slayer is only a colour and parts spec thing. The geometry numbers are the exact same as the regular Slayer. I'll bet that that tube set is the same also.

Nov. 2, 2007, 6:24 a.m.

:repost: I spent about an hour yesterday transferring my reviews from MTBR to NSMB's Inside Line thread for your reading/viewing pleasure. Womens specific, body type/size specific, whatever; this bike is awesome!

Nov. 2, 2007, 10:47 a.m.

I understand the marketing … I mean why not try and sell half the population on yer product ?BUT I know guys that don't have enough standover on say a bullit who would go for a smaller person specific bike rather than a women specific, altho YES a high propportion of women are smaller

didnt some of those women specific bikes in xc at least have different top tube lengths to accomadate a womens torso?Is that so on this model or is it all about size [HTML_REMOVED] weight ?

the range of sizing thing is totaly on, they make womens skis with flowers and all but mainly they are just sized to decamber in a turn for a lighter person .If you arent small I don't see why a woman would go women specific anything IF its nothing more than height/weight range

I am 5'8" 166 but I got small feet ,I have bought nike triax runners that come with a pink breastcancer supporter ribbon ,I gave it to my buddies girl friend the nurse .My last 2 pair of hi-end ski boots have been womens models cuz the mens don't go small enough ,this last pair of garmont AT are leisure suit blue and have a "femme" sticker on the side … BUT if you look at the date stamp [HTML_REMOVED] model inside the cuff it sez it came out of the mold for the mens equivilent of the boot … maybe blue plastic is more serene than orange ?

marketing eh?

Nov. 22, 2007, 8:19 a.m.

Yes, the top tubes are different lengths and as far as design specific for women goes, Transition also engineered the bike to be easier for women to lift the front of the bike. I have a lot of upper body strength that I have worked for but I'll admit I'll never have the natural strength of a guy. For a lot of women, getting the front end of a bike off the ground can be a challenge.