Trainers for winter...

Dec. 8, 2014, 5:35 p.m.

What's your favourite saddle for spinning? On the MTB I move around way more than the spin bike. I've got a road saddle on there, but will try my MTB one soon.

Dec. 8, 2014, 5:50 p.m.

picked up a Blackburn Trackstand spinner for the winter, just have a shitty $20 10spd (with the handlebars flipped up, of course) set up on there. 30 minutes givener with maximum resistance/hardest gear and I'm about ready to puke by the end, pretty good workout - way better than I get even on a multi-hour XC ride.
I try to do 30 minutes a day but it's not always easy, so I find putting aside the time first thing in the morning and watching snowboard flicks or reading a magazine makes the time go faster.

Thinking about installing a drink holder soon though.

Dec. 8, 2014, 7:31 p.m.

What's your favourite saddle for spinning? On the MTB I move around way more than the spin bike. I've got a road saddle on there, but will try my MTB one soon.

The one that is on my road bike.

Dec. 9, 2014, 7:52 a.m.

Picked up a Tacx Booster for the winter after my rollers packed it in. It is noticeably quieter than the Cycleops trainer I was borrowing. Also, the covered magnet is a nice little feature.

Dec. 9, 2014, 10:07 a.m.

i got a set of rollers a few years ago. keeps things a bit more interesting having to maintain balance - i can't read but i can listen to music or podcasts

sold my road bike this past summer though, so i'm trying to find a cheap roller bike now that the weather has arrived

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Dec. 9, 2014, 12:43 p.m.

I've been running my Marin mountain shit bike with slicks on the rollers. It soooooo stable compared to a road bike. And I can use mtb handlebars too. The only downside I'm in the biggest two gears the whole ride. Although, 90rpms in my biggest gear for half an hour and I can barely walk afterwards.

Oh, I found the rollers I'm using off kijiji last year for $20. A little surface rust but the bearings are perfect.

Dec. 9, 2014, 2:16 p.m.

I would rather ride outside in absolute sh! t conditions than ride a trainer. Or go snowshoeing
… or just about anything.

Did it for years when I lived on the coast but then came to my senses.

Dec. 10, 2014, 11:44 a.m.

Right now the temps over here are ok, hovering around freezing point so no point in getting out the trainer.

But if it should turn into something with lots of snow or slush I get it out just to keep my legs from having to re-learn how to pedal properly.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Dec. 10, 2014, 9:32 p.m.

Picked up a Tacx Booster for the winter after my rollers packed it in. It is noticeably quieter than the Cycleops trainer I was borrowing. Also, the covered magnet is a nice little feature.

I was in Steed the other day and they have a new Tacx set-up to have a spin on. I couldn't believe how quiet it was compared to my old Elite.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman