Trainers for winter...

Sept. 15, 2010, 4:23 p.m.

You weren't trying hard enough.

+1. Get some Spinervals videos, specifically interval-based ones, and drive that heart rate up. If you do it right, you'll be destroyed and cross-eyed after 45 minutes (including proper warm-up).

HRM is an absolute must if you're not doing all-out intervals, as I find it much harder to drive up the heart rate for tempo or medium-effort workouts on the trainer.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Sept. 15, 2010, 4:27 p.m.

+1. Get some Spinervals videos, specifically interval-based ones, and drive that heart rate up. If you do it right, you'll be destroyed and cross-eyed after 45 minutes (including proper warm-up).

HRM is an absolute must if you're not doing all-out intervals, as I find it much harder to drive up the heart rate for tempo or medium-effort workouts on the trainer.

Me and coach Troy spend winter together. The first Spinercal high intensity video (can't remember the number) had me quitting after 30 min and almost puking. I couldn't handle the 45 min work out. Took me a week and a half to work into it.

Sept. 15, 2010, 4:27 p.m.

hardtail w/ slicks. max psi in the tires. a space to use it that won't piss off your family/neighbors.

i have a trainer i'm not using thats in great condition. let me know if you're interested.

Slicks aren't an issue, I've got a spare rear wheel built up without rubber on it, no hardtail though, I'd assume that that wouldn't make a difference other than being a little (okay, a lot) less efficient??

Definitely interested though, hit me up with some details in a PM ;)

Sept. 15, 2010, 4:40 p.m.

Interesting:
Testing trainers including Kurt + that Bontrager one

Interesting read. Last I heard, the price on the new Lemond trainer is supposed to be US$430.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Sept. 15, 2010, 4:44 p.m.

do bike james coaching program.

Ah, no. One is better to seek programs from more reputable people. First thing to look for is their coaching certifications- Lance Watson, Chris Carmichael, or someone who actually has a coaching cert is a much better resource.

Of course a more structured workout is very helpful. Especially to help with the boredom. There are probably lots of resources on the web for this type of thing. I do intervals of varying lengths.

There are various vids out there. Spinervals was the first and has various DVD's available. Plus some of the Spinervals DVD workouts are available as audio only. Which you can download to an MP3 player. There are others as well.

Other option is to put on race vids and ride doing those. Do things like attack when they attack and so on.

And no, a trainer workout is nothing like riding outside,

Big thing with trainers is you have to set the resistance for more then you think.

The other thing not mentioned is the front wheel. Get a piece of 2x6 and place under the front wheel. This will balance the set up much better.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Sept. 15, 2010, 4:46 p.m.

Before buying new, check for people selling of their old stuff. This is the time of year when people will be buying new or getting rid of it.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Sept. 15, 2010, 4:52 p.m.

You weren't trying hard enough. Spinning the trainer at 60% of your max for an hour does nothing except make you very sweaty. Get a heart rate monitor, fill the ipod with lots of fast tunes and once you've given yourself a good warm-up, pin it. If you're doing it right, you should be absolutely cooked after 30-45 minutes. Spin at near zero resistance for another 10 minutes to cool down. Don't do this everyday or you'll injure yourself.

Of course a more structured workout is very helpful. Especially to help with the boredom. There are probably lots of resources on the web for this type of thing. I do intervals of varying lengths.

And no, a trainer workout is nothing like riding outside, but when the ground is covered in snow or you're recovering from a broken vertebrae it is much better than sitting on the couch.

Yeah I guess I'll have to invest in some technology to make it worthwhile and less boring.

But I think I'll just try to ride more too.

And I don't have a broken vertebrae that I know of. :hurt:

Wrong. Always.

Sept. 15, 2010, 5:01 p.m.

Lemond trainer review:

http://velocitynation.com/content/equipment/2010/lemond-revolution-trainer

The biggest negative to the Revolution is the noise level. It[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;s almost as loud as a vacuum cleaner when you[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;re really cranking.

Pretty much kills the deal for me.

Sept. 15, 2010, 5:07 p.m.

Big tip- sweat is corrosive to frames. Cover your top tube with a towel while riding the squirrel.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Sept. 15, 2010, 5:16 p.m.

Big tip- sweat is corrosive to frames. Cover your top tube with a towel while riding the squirrel.

Even Aluminum?

Sept. 15, 2010, 5:21 p.m.

Even Aluminum?

Headsets, and other stuff as well.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Sept. 15, 2010, 7:16 p.m.

I tend to do a lot of field work in the winter months, last thing I want to do after spending 10 hours in the field when it's +1 and raining is put on my riding gear and go for a ride in the dark.

I've got lights, super fun every once in a while, it sounds really good when you say it fast, but riding solo 5 days a week in the dark just isn't prudent.

Fair enough. I like night riding for the first couple of months, but by mid-Jan I'm usually quite ready for the sun to come back in the evenings. And I'm only going 2-3 times a week, and usually in groups.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

Sept. 16, 2010, 8:18 a.m.

the secret to stationary trainers is intervals. keeps it interesting and actually works you.

Check my stuff for sale!

Sept. 16, 2010, 9:54 a.m.

Spinervals sounds like a winner to me. Where does one get the audio ones? At ye olde LBS?

Wrong. Always.

Sept. 16, 2010, 10:22 a.m.

Spinervals sounds like a winner to me. Where does one get the audio ones? At ye olde LBS?

I got a couple of EBay 3 years ago. They might not produce them anymore.

You might be able to download the audio of Spinervals of the internet.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk