Trailer hitch Bike tray rack- Advice

June 19, 2016, 12:42 a.m.

The 1up start at 650$ canadian for 2 bikes. With the free shipping in the US, it's actually the cheaper option if you're ready to go pick it up on the other side of the border. I've had mine for 2 years and I'm really pleased with it, I had a thule roof rack before and wasn't impressed with durability, lots of brittle plastic.

June 19, 2016, 9:31 a.m.

Got my 1 Up to the boarder.

Bit of a pain to retrieve, but shipping was free.

Spendy, but nicest rack on the market.

So you then put in on the hitch and drove it across like it was nothing new?

What is the duty on this item?

Thanks for the input everyone.

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

June 19, 2016, 9:56 a.m.

Didn't put it on as I crossed at Point Roberts and was gone for all of 20 mins. Don't particularly want to get busted for that. It is a US made rack, so there will be no duty. As for tax, I'd assume you would have to pay gst and pst. I find anything under $500 generally gets waved through. This rack will be much more than that so I'd expect to pay the taxes.

June 19, 2016, 10:12 p.m.

Same, PR pick-up.

I have to travel to the US regularly for work, so I don't mess around with trying to save a few bucks.

Just paid P [HTML_REMOVED] GST.

June 19, 2016, 11:33 p.m.

I rock a saris that I found at the dump. It works flawlessly. I recommend you all do the same

Pastor of Muppets

June 20, 2016, 8:30 a.m.

I rock a saris that I found at the dump. It works flawlessly. I recommend you all do the same

I like the cut of your jib!

Originally posted by Purecanadianhoney
I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.

June 20, 2016, 1:21 p.m.

For tray style hitch racks, is 2 bikes the safe max? I've seen people with 3 or 4 trays but it looks sketchy to me leverage wise, especially if DH bikes are involved. Currently running two Sidearms on the roof but next vehicle will be some kind of compact SUV with a hitch. Would be nice to have capacity for 4 which I guess means NSR.

June 20, 2016, 1:54 p.m.

For tray style hitch racks, is 2 bikes the safe max? I've seen people with 3 or 4 trays but it looks sketchy to me leverage wise, especially if DH bikes are involved. Currently running two Sidearms on the roof but next vehicle will be some kind of compact SUV with a hitch. Would be nice to have capacity for 4 which I guess means NSR.

There are plenty of tray style racks that allow 4 bikes. I agree the leverage they create seems sketchy, and they hang a looong way off the back of the vehicle, but if the hitch (and vehicle) is rated up to the task they should be fine.
Id do the NSR for 4 bikes over a tray style as you suggest.

June 20, 2016, 2:36 p.m.

I picked up a 2 bike 1up recently, shipped to the border, with the exchange rate, probably cost about the same as buying a kuat here, crossed over on a weekday before work, they guy didn't even ask what I was doing in the states, guess they don't get people doing a lot of shopping at that time, just said you're good and waved me on so no taxes :) best thing is it comes on and off in seconds, folds up and fits into the back of my golf, so less risk of a ticket when i'm not using it.

June 20, 2016, 7:07 p.m.

I've had three on mine, but I didn't feel too comfortable.

1Up now has an extra beefy two-fer that works with a two inch receiver (mine has an adapter on the one inch). Claims to work with 50-75 pound bikes. I could see three on there no prob.

June 20, 2016, 9:51 p.m.

My Yakima hold up works very well.

June 20, 2016, 10:07 p.m.

There are plenty of tray style racks that allow 4 bikes. I agree the leverage they create seems sketchy, and they hang a looong way off the back of the vehicle, but if the hitch (and vehicle) is rated up to the task they should be fine.
Id do the NSR for 4 bikes over a tray style as you suggest.

Not saying one is better than the other, but the weight is the same on the hitch receiver for 4 bikes regardless of the style of rack (minus the difference in rack weight). Also, unless you can put the NSR in the most upright position, both set ups stick out about the same amount.

June 21, 2016, 7:24 a.m.

Sketchy on a Class I or II hitch. Wouldn't trust two DH bikes on those.

June 21, 2016, 8:38 a.m.

Payload on the vehicle can be an issue. Our Santa Fe is rated for 950lbs, that's all passengers and cargo. Put three adults (600lbs), luggage (100lbs), hitch mounted rack (75lbs? I'm guessing here, but it's not light), three bikes (100lbs), you're basically at 875lbs already. I don't think you could safely put four adults and bikes on there, or even four kids and bikes without blowing the payload limit.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

June 21, 2016, 12:27 p.m.

Most vehicles have a specified Tongue weight. I cant remember what my old 4runner was but my 95 pound rack with 4 bikes equalled about 250 pounds. This was within spec from what I remember. Google it would be my suggestion.