Trailer hitch Bike tray rack- Advice

June 17, 2016, 2:01 p.m.

Looking to buy a 2 bike tray for the back of one of my Subarus.
Hard to decide which one will be the best buy.

What do you have? Do you recommend it?

BTW don't want a NS rack, although I do like them.

Thx

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

June 17, 2016, 4:19 p.m.

Money no object: Kuat NV
Realistically priced and decent: Thule T2

I have the T2 and a Sidearm on the roof racks. Recommend them both for being easy to use and solid, very little sway with the threaded locking hitch pin on the T2, plus matching locks and one key for everything is a bonus

June 17, 2016, 8:15 p.m.

I had a T2 for years! Super solid and trouble free. I had to go to the NSR as I have 2 kids or I would have kept the Thule.

June 17, 2016, 8:21 p.m.

$270.00 ticket if it covers your license plate.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

June 17, 2016, 10:18 p.m.

Looking to buy a 2 bike tray for the back of one of my Subarus.
Hard to decide which one will be the best buy.

What do you have? Do you recommend it?

BTW don't want a NS rack, although I do like them.

Thx

This has been covered in numerous threads on other boards I think. My opinion would be 1UP. Pricey yes, but I found the Kuat to be wobbly and worn out after less than a season of use. Sold it to get a 1UP and have never looked back.

June 17, 2016, 11:47 p.m.

$270.00 ticket if it covers your license plate.

Parked at Moja earlier this week with a Kuat on the subaru, right between the NV Bike police van with at NS rack, and an SUV with a rear tray rack that covered the plateā€¦driven by an off duty cop. Your luck may change when you cross the bridge though (I've been warned in Vancouver a couple times in recent years).

Have had a Kuat NV for 5 years now. Very solid but keep the bits lubed and you'll be good to go. I had the ratchet arms replaced this year do to the internals being corroded, free of charge. Almost every part can be ordered for these racks as well, at a very reasonable price on their website.

June 17, 2016, 11:47 p.m.

1up

June 18, 2016, 8:42 a.m.

We have a Thule T2, has to be at least 8 years old or more, not a minute's problem with it. I checked out a Kuat on another car once, it looked really wobbly. With a DH bike on it, the whole rack could move around a few inches, and not at the hitch. Maybe there was something broken on it but I'd have a close look at one installed before buying. A couple of buddies have the 1up rack and highly recommend them. Pretty solid, well built.

June 18, 2016, 10:30 a.m.

Parked at Moja earlier this week with a Kuat on the subaru, right between the NV Bike police van with at NS rack, and an SUV with a rear tray rack that covered the plateā€¦driven by an off duty cop. Your luck may change when you cross the bridge though (I've been warned in Vancouver a couple times in recent years).

Have had a Kuat NV for 5 years now. Very solid but keep the bits lubed and you'll be good to go. I had the ratchet arms replaced this year do to the internals being corroded, free of charge. Almost every part can be ordered for these racks as well, at a very reasonable price on their website.

Off duty cops do not have to be concerned with minor infractions such as obscured plate.

June 18, 2016, 12:34 p.m.

I've been using a Yakima Hold-up (2 bike version) for the last 4 years. It works. Holds everything from a BMX to a road bike to a DH bike. I assume the same thing can be said about the Thule or Kuats as well.

June 18, 2016, 1:53 p.m.

1up

June 18, 2016, 3:58 p.m.

Question for the 1UP people. Did you have the rack(s) shipped to a Canadian address [HTML_REMOVED] if so how bad did you get burned for brokerage fees? I just checked [HTML_REMOVED] 1UP is using Fedex now instead of UPS.

1UP does look sweet in the videos!

June 18, 2016, 4:40 p.m.

Question for the 1UP people. Did you have the rack(s) shipped to a Canadian address [HTML_REMOVED] if so how bad did you get burned for brokerage fees? I just checked [HTML_REMOVED] 1UP is using Fedex now instead of UPS.

1UP does look sweet in the videos!

Got mine shipped to the border and picked it up there. Sorry can't answer that one.

June 18, 2016, 6:20 p.m.

Got my 1 Up to the boarder.

Bit of a pain to retrieve, but shipping was free.

Spendy, but nicest rack on the market.

June 18, 2016, 8:07 p.m.

Off duty cops do not have to be concerned with minor infractions such as obscured plate.

She didn't seem to care about my infraction. YMMV

Maybe when I get a Tacoma, I can get a 1up. Then I'll truly be North Van. It's more Enduro than the gate pad ;-)

They are seriously nice BTW, and not too too much more than the Kuat NV now days