Trade bikes/parts/gear for auto body work?

Feb. 27, 2021, 6:09 a.m.

Posted by: syncro

Posted by: tashi

Posted by: rnayel

In my ideal world, I would buy a V8 lexus IS500 so that my boys (5,4 &2 at the moment) can hoon it when they are driving age.

Mmmmmmmm, someone just find me a reliable RWD stick BMW wagon and I’ll keep that thing purring until my kids are ready for it. 

Says the guy looking to ditch his Subaru for something more reliable. 🤦🏻‍♂️

I recently picked up a saweet ml500 for cheap as temp transportation. It's an auto but it's the sport model with the AMG package so I can shift it like a stick without having to use a clutch which is nice. There are deals to be had if you're patient.

Ya those are cool but I’m talking about a car, not an SUV. I want something nimble with a stick, not a boat that can almost dance.

Feb. 27, 2021, 6:54 a.m.

Ya those are cool but I’m talking about a car, not an SUV. I want something nimble with a stick, not a boat that can almost dance.

With a relatively short wheelbase for an SUV the older ML's handle surprisingly well. I've pushed that thing a few times and come away with a smile on my face. They're no Miata that's for sure, but they'd probably stack up pretty good against something like a 5 series or E class wagon. Considering I only paid $3000 I'm not complaining. My point was more that if you pick up something a little older that is high end you can probably score a good deal, it's just a matter of being patient. Once those luxury vehicles hit about 10-12 years old they often get dumped for peanuts by the original owners as they're just wanting to get it out of the driveway to make room for their new $100K+ vehicle.

@RAH it's not a diesel, but the 5L gasser. I've been impressed that it's not too much of a hog on gas, I've been avg'ing around 15L/100km with 70/30 city/hwy split depending on how heavy my right shoe is.

Last edited by: syncro on Feb. 27, 2021, 6:58 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
Feb. 27, 2021, 9 a.m.

Yes, I’m familiar, I’ve driven a few, including the 550 and they’re fun enough for the size.  Yours looks 👍🏼

They’re a long way from a 3-series for driving experience however which is what I’m after if I ever ditch the Subaru. The atlas has the Big Car duties covered now.

Feb. 27, 2021, 9:17 a.m.

Posted by: Sethimus

In my ideal world, I would buy a V8 lexus IS500 so that my boys (5,4 &2 at the moment) can hoon it when they are driving age.

why do you want to teach them to use fossil fuels? they will hopefully live in a post fossil fuel world.

In 11 years?

Feb. 27, 2021, 9:26 a.m.

Yes, I’m familiar, I’ve driven a few, including the 550 and they’re fun enough for the size.  Yours looks 👍🏼

They’re a long way from a 3-series for driving experience however which is what I’m after if I ever ditch the Subaru. The atlas has the Big Car duties covered now.

Yeah, 3 series makes sense as a rocket grocery cart. For some reason I automatically thought M5 or something similar. Would you consider an Audi at all? Or what about going retro and doing a hopped up Volvo 122S?

Feb. 27, 2021, 9:59 a.m.

I haven’t driven an Audi that would do it, they’ve all (AWD A4’s of various years and an A3) been fun but pretty numb feeling. Is probably get a Golf/Jetta wagon if going VAG. 

The Amazon is super cool but cars that old are waaaay fussier than I want. I need something that’s fun to drive that works most of the time. 

It’s all moot for the moment as COVID and my house reno have killed our bank accounts...

Feb. 27, 2021, 10:27 a.m.

sent you a pm

Feb. 28, 2021, 4:46 a.m.

Posted by: mrbrett

why do you want to teach them to use fossil fuels? they will hopefully live in a post fossil fuel world.

In 11 years?

i would consider owning an ice car in 11 year as a non sellable asset

what good use will it still be by then? you won‘t enter cities with eco zones with it, refueling it will be quite costly (co2 tax) and insurance will be sky high without any autonomous driver assistance systems included

Last edited by: Sethimus on Feb. 28, 2021, 4:53 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 28, 2021, 6:35 a.m.

Anybody tell Exxon that?

Feb. 28, 2021, 8:22 a.m.

In 11 years?

what good use will it still be by then? you won‘t enter cities with eco zones with it, refueling it will be quite costly (co2 tax) and insurance will be sky high without any autonomous driver assistance systems included

Well this got blown out of proportion.  Context, a v8 Lexus will still drive like new in 11 years, heck properly maintained, in 25 years. My wife and I have an agreement, one plug in and one ice car in the driveway going forward. We already have the electrical set up, just need a charger once our current lease (ice) is over. 

Also, to justify myself, I only drive “my car” about 5,000km/year between home and the office , a number that’s been pandemic reduced so the thought of spending an even higher premium for gas isn’t overly concerning.  

Furthermore, I don’t believe that there is the political will to exclude ice cars from entering city centres here in North America

Feb. 28, 2021, 8:56 a.m.

In 11 years?

Yes, driving a car in a major European city is an expensive pain in the ass. It’s already a pain in the ass here in some (well two in Canada) cities. 

Luckily not everyone drives in a major European city, leaving driving ICE cars for fun and travel an attainable option for those of us that enjoy it.

The situation for personal autos here for regular people is very different than more populated places. Selling and owning a classic Lexus will be no problem in 11 years.

Feb. 28, 2021, 11:12 a.m.

Why aren't more people worried about air travel than cars? What is made worse by air travel is that people travel much further than they would be car. I sure hope all future global environmental forums are held via zoom!

Here is the breakdown I found

14 g of CO2 / passenger/km for the train
    42 g CO2 / passenger/km for a small car
    55 g of CO2 / passenger/km for an average car
    68 g CO2 /passenger/km for a bus
    72 g CO2 /passenger/km for a two-wheel motor
    285 g CO2 /passenger/km for a plane

One trip to England would be the same as about 40000km driving. Anyone know if this is correct?

The tesla owner who takes 4 flights/year and preaches about how green they are and that the ICE driver should be ashamed is a hypocrite.

Feb. 28, 2021, 11:49 a.m.

In 11 years?

If I'm still around, quote this in 11 years and we will see. 

/hijack

Feb. 28, 2021, 2:52 p.m.

Posted by: skooks

Posted by: skooks

Yeah for sure, but in my kid's case the skills and knowledge he is gaining are worth far more than a fancier car. It helps that he is very mechanically inclined and doesn't care that he drives a beater.

Ya, it works for him because he bought a hobby. 

If you have no interest or time for fixing cars a lease/finance on a Hyundai can make a lot more sense than a shitbox.

Actually he bought an education. Way cheaper than tuition, and it will benefit him for the rest of his life. Funny enough I taught myself mechanical skills the same way, and it definitely helped me get in the door and thrive in my engineering career. Looks like he is following the same path.

Yes there is value in it for the right person. 

The key is knowing if they’re the right person. I don’t know Cams kids but LOTS of kids can see what an expensive, dangerous pain in the ass driving and owning a car is so they have far less interest than us. That kid should have a lease on a Kia, not a ‘98 Golf with 300,000k.

Yes, for sure. I think a lot of young people are starting to figure this out already. I know quite a few who don't have as driver's license. Of course it's easier for them when they can convince their parents to drive them everywhere 😌.

Feb. 28, 2021, 4:48 p.m.

one plug in and one ice car in the driveway going forward. We already have the electrical set up, just need a charger once our current lease (ice) is over.

We've adopted this for the past 6 months. Our larger SUV sits largely idle as my wife gets to work from home, permanently now. But we want to keep it for summer road trips, and the rare instances right now where we need to have both cars in use. 

The BEV has been so good to us utility wise as a primary vehicle, and we only use the super slow wall plug charger. The driving experience was a real eye opener, and aside from the noise of an ICE engine, IMO there is nothing an ICE does better in a relative sense. And this is coming from a pseudo car enthusiast.

Personally this is making me look toward getting an older 4 seat convertible couple for a summer play toy.