Trade bikes/parts/gear for auto body work?

Feb. 24, 2021, 6:25 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

Posted by: [email protected]

Insurance for a kid as primary driver is fucking absurd.

Still insure it in your name and put minimal insurance on it - no collision - should be cheap as chips. If she bumps a pole or something then who cares? She can practice parking in tight spots and work on those spatial skills with no worries of dinging the paint on your nicer vehicle. Just do it for 3-6 months while she learns to drive and then she can either keep it or dump it for close to what you paid for it. And yeah, an older Honda/Acura would be the ticket - reliable and cheap/easy to fix most maintenance type stuff which you could probably do yourself.

Doesn’t matter with the new ICBC rules. You pay hefty for having a new driver on your insurance. And you should put them on your insurance. If there is an accident caused by the kid they will get you and make you pay dearly.

Feb. 24, 2021, 6:34 p.m.

Posted by: Poz

Doesn’t matter with the new ICBC rules. You pay hefty for having a new driver on your insurance. And you should put them on your insurance. If there is an accident caused by the kid they will get you and make you pay dearly.

yeah for sure, the idea is simply that if she hits a pole/fence/whatever then don't bother paying to fix the car. different story of course if she hits another vehicle.

Last edited by: syncro on Feb. 24, 2021, 6:35 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 25, 2021, 2:16 p.m.

Posted by: skooks

Posted by: XXX_er

had this discussion with Lance the owner of Freelance auto, basicly he sez running a cheap car doesnt work

Sez he doesnt like fucking people over so he should do a talk to the kids at the HS across the street

about how/why cheap cars are not cheap and what owning/ running a car actualy costs

the days of plugs/points/condenser for 15 $ or the entire front end on a chevy II for 67 $, 12$ to align it at sears are gone

Idk, my kid bought an old beater, and he had learned so much by keeping it running and doing all his own work. Clutch, head gasket, turbo rebuild. Also, he is a student with no money and somehow manages to find used/cheap parts. Turbo bearings from Amazon!

thats awesume but there are also a lot of people let alone kids who shouldn't be allowed to own tools and work on a car so this is not what I would call a great business model.

You can buy a cheap car that needs money pumped into it to stay running that will probably still look like shit, or buy a car for more money that doesnt need work or money spent on it ... the net cost is the same but there is robably more equity in something that doesnt look like ass

Last edited by: XXX_er on Feb. 25, 2021, 2:17 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 25, 2021, 7:55 p.m.

had this discussion with Lance the owner of Freelance auto, basicly he sez running a cheap car doesnt work

Sez he doesnt like fucking people over so he should do a talk to the kids at the HS across the street

about how/why cheap cars are not cheap and what owning/ running a car actualy costs

the days of plugs/points/condenser for 15 $ or the entire front end on a chevy II for 67 $, 12$ to align it at sears are gone

Idk, my kid bought an old beater, and he had learned so much by keeping it running and doing all his own work. Clutch, head gasket, turbo rebuild. Also, he is a student with no money and somehow manages to find used/cheap parts. Turbo bearings from Amazon!

thats awesume but there are also a lot of people let alone kids who shouldn't be allowed to own tools and work on a car so this is not what I would call a great business model.

You can buy a cheap car that needs money pumped into it to stay running that will probably still look like shit, or buy a car for more money that doesnt need work or money spent on it ... the net cost is the same but there is robably more equity in something that doesnt look like ass

Yeah for sure, but in my kid's case the skills and knowledge he is gaining are worth far more than a fancier car. It helps that he is very mechanically inclined and doesn't care that he drives a beater.

Feb. 26, 2021, 12:12 p.m.

Must be a glass half full/empty thing but looking back at all the POS cars /houses/ boats/ sleds/ things I have seen kids and or people buy,I would rather my kid be savy enough to do the math in his head in about 30 sec as to what is a bad idea and he definatly has that cuz I can see the wheels turning in his head.

As you say the person buying a shit box has to be mechanicaly inclined then its just less of a bad idea than some one who has to pay to have it fixed, IMO what is smarter is to get the job fixing stuff if they wana fix things and actualy make some money

in any case in terms of simplicity/ cost i still maintain complexity has made cars way more of an expensive crap shoot to work on yourself and I quit doing that long ago

Last edited by: XXX_er on Feb. 26, 2021, 12:16 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Feb. 26, 2021, 1:37 p.m.

In my ideal world, I would buy a V8 lexus IS500 so that my boys (5,4 &2 at the moment) can hoon it when they are driving age.

Feb. 26, 2021, 1:52 p.m.

Yeah for sure, but in my kid's case the skills and knowledge he is gaining are worth far more than a fancier car. It helps that he is very mechanically inclined and doesn't care that he drives a beater.

Ya, it works for him because he bought a hobby. 

If you have no interest or time for fixing cars a lease/finance on a Hyundai can make a lot more sense than a shitbox.

Feb. 26, 2021, 4:15 p.m.

is a car that doesnt need a bunch of repairs considered a " fancy car "  or is it just a car that doesnt need a bunch of repairs ?

Feb. 26, 2021, 5:54 p.m.

Posted by: rnayel

In my ideal world, I would buy a V8 lexus IS500 so that my boys (5,4 &2 at the moment) can hoon it when they are driving age.

Mmmmmmmm, someone just find me a reliable RWD stick BMW wagon and I’ll keep that thing purring until my kids are ready for it. 

Says the guy looking to ditch his Subaru for something more reliable. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Feb. 26, 2021, 6:36 p.m.

Posted by: tashi

Mmmmmmmm, someone just find me a reliable RWD stick BMW wagon and I’ll keep that thing purring until my kids are ready for it. 

I recently picked up a saweet ml500 for cheap as temp transportation. It's an auto but it's the sport model with the AMG package so I can shift it like a stick without having to use a clutch which is nice. There are deals to be had if you're patient.

Feb. 26, 2021, 7:21 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

I recently picked up a saweet ml500 for cheap as temp transportation. It's an auto but it's the sport model with the AMG package so I can shift it like a stick without having to use a clutch which is nice. There are deals to be had if you're patient.

Diesel? I have a 2015 ml350 that goes 1000km on one tank of gas. Best suv for road trips! The diesel also rips and can tow something like 6000lbs. I love that vehicle

Feb. 26, 2021, 7:36 p.m.

If you have no interest or time for fixing cars a lease/finance on a Hyundai can make a lot more sense than a shitbox.

Actually he bought an education. Way cheaper than tuition, and it will benefit him for the rest of his life. Funny enough I taught myself mechanical skills the same way, and it definitely helped me get in the door and thrive in my engineering career. Looks like he is following the same path.

Feb. 26, 2021, 7:39 p.m.

is a car that doesnt need a bunch of repairs considered a " fancy car "  or is it just a car that doesnt need a bunch of repairs ?

Depends on the car. They all need repairs sooner or later. I sure like being able to take care of it myself instead of being at the mercy of the dealer.

Feb. 27, 2021, 12:12 a.m.

why do you want to teach them to use fossil fuels? they will hopefully live in a post fossil fuel world.

Feb. 27, 2021, 6:06 a.m.

Actually he bought an education. Way cheaper than tuition, and it will benefit him for the rest of his life. Funny enough I taught myself mechanical skills the same way, and it definitely helped me get in the door and thrive in my engineering career. Looks like he is following the same path.

Yes there is value in it for the right person. 

The key is knowing if they’re the right person. I don’t know Cams kids but LOTS of kids can see what an expensive, dangerous pain in the ass driving and owning a car is so they have far less interest than us. That kid should have a lease on a Kia, not a ‘98 Golf with 300,000k.