Totem Coil - issue with Mission Control

Aug. 15, 2009, 10:42 p.m.

Hey,

Have had my '09 Totem coil now for about 4 months. All was good when I had her in the plush confines of Boise, Idaho but now that I am in Nelson BC, the thing is puking oil out the top right crown where the compression clickers are. Isn't a huge amount, but it is definitely coming out of there. I am told that my Mission Control do-hickey is hosed and the local shop here (Sacred Ride…..awesome guys) are doing a warranty return for me. I have never used that damn Mission Control thing anyway and don't totally understand what it would do for me, but that's another story.

My question to others out there is if this is a common problem with the Totem coil and if I should expect this to happen again. I like the feel of the Totem but am concerned I am quickly entering Rock Shox reliability hell and would just like to hear from any others who have had this issue. Thanks much.

Aug. 16, 2009, 8:44 a.m.

I have a totem air that did that a couple of times in the last 4 months. Now its just super. Feels sooooo good

P.S. Get someone at the shop to show you how to set it up and how to tweak it. I like to set and forget, but finding how you like it makes it a thousand times better.

:england:

Aug. 16, 2009, 9:20 a.m.

mission control compression cartridges do that a lot. sorry. sell the fork now, because when it's out of warranty, the cart. is $200.

Check my stuff for sale!

Aug. 16, 2009, 11:17 p.m.

Hi there,

looks like you have the problem that all totem and lyric owners have.
You can repair it by yourself,
and it should not cost you more that 10 bucks.
The problem of oil leaking comes from foodgate knob.
First of all, you should get the mission control cartridge out. After this you should start to dissassemble the cartridge from the top (pay attention to small balls inside and spring). There is a rubber o-ring on the rod that you will find under the floodgate knob. You should remove the o-ring, add some fluoroplastic insulation tape (usually we have such for tubes), and then put the o-ring back. Or you can just add some tape above the ring, both works. Now you shoud assemble the cartridge and put it back. I've made this with mine fork, have no oil leaking issues for half a year.

Aug. 18, 2009, 5:23 p.m.

I have a totem air that did that a couple of times in the last 4 months. Now its just super. Feels sooooo good

P.S. Get someone at the shop to show you how to set it up and how to tweak it. I like to set and forget, but finding how you like it makes it a thousand times better.

Setting up and tweaking it has nothing to do with oil leaking out of the top.

Listen to the guy above me and fix the O-ring area.

Aug. 18, 2009, 5:50 p.m.

Setting up and tweaking it has nothing to do with oil leaking out of the top.

Listen to the guy above me and fix the O-ring area.

lol I realize. But his fork will feel so much better if he learns to set up correctly.

:england:

Aug. 18, 2009, 11:20 p.m.

Hi there,

looks like you have the problem that all totem and lyric owners have.
You can repair it by yourself,
and it should not cost you more that 10 bucks.
The problem of oil leaking comes from foodgate knob.
First of all, you should get the mission control cartridge out. After this you should start to dissassemble the cartridge from the top (pay attention to small balls inside and spring). There is a rubber o-ring on the rod that you will find under the floodgate knob. You should remove the o-ring, add some fluoroplastic insulation tape (usually we have such for tubes), and then put the o-ring back. Or you can just add some tape above the ring, both works. Now you shoud assemble the cartridge and put it back. I've made this with mine fork, have no oil leaking issues for half a year.

Can you elaborate a bit more on this fix? Where exactly do you put this tape? What is it sticking to……the floodgate knob or something else? The boys at Sacred Ride got my new cartridge in today and showed me how easy the thing is to slap in. My plan is to ride this one, hope it doesn't blow up like the last one did, but when it inevitably does, I will try this fix you have here……just wanted to see if I could get a bit more specifics. I also thought the poster who said sell the fork as the cartridge is $200 was just pulling my leg, but I saw the $200 price on the bag and was really glad it was covered under warranty.

On a totally separate note, what is it with all the new fangled shiznit forks? I have this '09 Totem coil on my SS and I have an '09 DH40 on my STD. Both forks feel great but the Totem coil has this Mission Control issue and the DH40 likes to be stored inverted and requires me to adjust the spring condom on it about every 3 weeks. I know lot's of folks with the new Boxxers that are having all sorts of issues and don't think I know a single person with an '08 or newer 888 that doesn't want to throw the thing out a window. Honestly, I am kinda nitpicking on the DH40 I think but, for the price of the thing, I don't think I should need to store it upside down. Anyway, just wondering what the hell is going on here as I had 2 '05 888RC's that ran perfectly for years with no issues……just changed out the oil once per year.

Sorry, I got off on a tangent there. Back to the point here…..I really appreiciate the help. Take care.

Jim

Aug. 18, 2009, 11:28 p.m.

Please have a look. During dissassembling, pay attention to the balls inside, that initiate clicking

Aug. 19, 2009, 8:21 a.m.

Please have a look. During dissassembling, pay attention to the balls inside, that initiate clicking

Wow…..this is awesome. Thanks much for doing this…..really appreciate it.

Jim

Sept. 26, 2009, 11:04 a.m.

My gf just got a replacement Mission Control cartridge put into her Totem (under warranty) but it no longer clicks when turning the high speed compression knob. Does anybody know if there have been changes to the cartridge? Or maybe it has been improperly installed by the shop?

Sept. 26, 2009, 12:03 p.m.

My gf just got a replacement Mission Control cartridge put into her Totem (under warranty) but it no longer clicks when turning the high speed compression knob. Does anybody know if there have been changes to the cartridge? Or maybe it has been improperly installed by the shop?

I am the guy who started this thread and have now had my replacement Mission Control cartridge for about 6 weeks now…….my high speed compression knob doesn't click either. The good news is the thing has worked perfectly and I've got no leaking, so I am sticking with it. My understanding when I received this cartridge was that it was the "redesigned" one…….I don't know if that means it's the same one they now have in the 2010 Totem's or not, but I can tell you mine doesn't click either. Would I like it to click, yes. However, since it appears to be working well, I am sticking with it.

I hope this helps

July 17, 2015, 11:02 p.m.

I'm wondering what fluoroplastic insulation tape is and where to buy it?

Cheers!

July 22, 2015, 12:42 p.m.

Thanks my Lyric has the same issues.
I wonder how many mechanics in bike shop a know about the fix werewolf mentioned?

common sense…..Whats common about sense?!