Tonneau Cover and Tailgate Pad

Dec. 18, 2020, 6:23 a.m.

Has anyone been able to successfully install a tonneau cover and a tailgate pad together? 

I need the Tonneau for work and would like a tailgate pad for loading up the bikes on ride days, seems like there is no way to successfully accommodate both full time...Figured I would check here and see if anyone has been able to do it? I've just come to the point where I may just buy a Neoprene mat to throw over the tailgate for the bikes.

Thanks in advance for any input.

J

Dec. 18, 2020, 1:08 p.m.

My buddy has both on his Tacoma and they seem to work fairly well together. Closing the tonneau cover seems to require a pretty good push down though. But it closes with the tailgate pad on. He has a Raceface tailgate pad and the new hard trifold style tonneau cover Toyota dealers sell.

Dec. 18, 2020, 5:36 p.m.

I had the same question, and pretty recently I actually saw a truck exactly like this - tailgate pad and a tonneau cover that looked like it was securely closed on top of it. I don't have any info as to how it works... but looks like it's possible.

Dec. 18, 2020, 7:23 p.m.

My neighbour has a Tundra with a Dakine or maybe EVOC pad and it looks like his tri fold tonneau closes but I’m not positive. Mine won’t close on my Dakine. EVOC make a short two bike pad that might be easier to remove.

Dec. 18, 2020, 9:03 p.m.

When I had a tacoma I had a dakine pad with three straps that secured it. I used to loosen the straps when the pad wasn't in use. That gave me enough slack that I could put the pad inside the bed and secure the tonneau cover over top the webbing. The pad would stay clean and dry inside the bed, under the cover. When I needed to use the tailgate pad all I had to do is pull the pad over the gate and tighten the straps up.

Dec. 20, 2020, 2:14 p.m.

I have an Evoc tailgate pad and a Backflip tonneau cover. The cover will latch with the pad on. You can adjust the tonneau cover a bit. Had to slide it towards the cab so its not sitting right on top of the cover when its closed. Sits more along the inside edge of the cover where the padding is reduced.

Dec. 24, 2020, 1:20 a.m.

I'm looking at something like the Fox Overland or Dakine Pickup Pad. I think if any of these are fairly thin at the inside edge of the tailgate I might be able to adjust my Bakflip forward or remove the weather strip to allow it to close with the tailgate pad installed My Prepaid Center

Last edited by: Deontae on Dec. 25, 2020, 12:52 a.m., edited 1 time in total.