Toddler full face helmet?

May 23, 2013, 1:56 p.m.

I think your worrying too much most of it have made it to adulthood without even wearing helmets when learning to ride, just go for a well fitting skate lid. I got my front teeth broken later when I was a drunk idiot. Although you might be right I did catch my 20.5 month old daughter taking a 6" drop on her trike the other day crazy little fruit bat.

^This… I don't think a full-face is required for kids unless they are Steve Smith prodigees… just let them ride and learn to crash… like others have mentioned most of us are still here with all of our teeth.

May 23, 2013, 11:22 p.m.

Thanks guys, it looks like there are a few options, will look around at various shops. I'd agree most kids don't need FF most of the time if making it to adulthood is the main goal. Baby teeth get replaced eventually, but if you can find a FF helmet that's comfy why not? Especially after your kid knocks his tooth out going off a sheer 2 foot drop on a Strider.

Hockey helmet might be practical but I think the cage would block the vision too much.

May 24, 2013, 9:25 a.m.

Hockey helmet might be practical but I think the cage would block the vision too much.

Fraser Valley Mountain Bikers Assoc.

May 24, 2013, 9:41 a.m.

I remember being like 6-7 and building a jump out of a milk crate and a shitty piece of plywood and eating a face full of gravel after both item broke. I turned out just fine. lol.

No you didn't.

Love,
Mom

Wrong. Always.

May 24, 2013, 7:36 p.m.

My kids first FF was a Pryme Evil Small (52-24cm). Don't know if that would fit a 2-year old. I suspect a 2.5 year old is at just as much risk for a whiplash/neck injury as from a head injury from impact.

Never wore a bike helmet until my 20s (I'm old). I remember when I was a kid we used to build ramps with 2X4s and cinder blocks on our dead end street. That was my my first sensation of being airborne on a bike - or on anything - taking flight into the air. We came equipped with chopper handlebars, banana seats, bad haircuts, nerves of steel and clothes of polyester. My buddy kept making the jump bigger and bigger and bigger until finally on his last jump late in the evening, he soared through the air and his parabolic flight path took him right into the rear of a parked car. Everybody scattered in different directions in the fading twilight … I saw him the next morning and he didn't seem any the worse for wear. Those were the days … we were young, foolish and we were invincible. Cue music from "The Wonder Years"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OVNNnAb0LU

May 25, 2013, 10:19 a.m.

^^^ ah the memories

May 25, 2013, 10:57 a.m.

^This… I don't think a full-face is required for kids unless they are Steve Smith prodigees… just let them ride and learn to crash… like others have mentioned most of us are still here with all of our teeth.

Don't know about you guys but I learned to ride a two wheeled bicycle, with training wheels (does that make it a 4 wheeler?), waaay later than most kids learn these days so the balance, strength and skill lever are much different. I'm truly amazed at the skill and balance of my kids riding their run bikes but they sure hit the ground differently than a 4 or 5 year old kid and they're just about as crazy riding off curbs and finding things to try to jump off of. If a good FF helmet can keep them safer while we're out having fun and learning to fall properly then I'm all for it.

Why doesn't Troy Lee make a D2 or D3 carbon for kids?!

May 25, 2013, 11:10 a.m.

Don't know about you guys but I learned to ride a two wheeled bicycle, with training wheels (does that make it a 4 wheeler?), waaay later than most kids learn these days so the balance, strength and skill lever are much different. I'm truly amazed at the skill and balance of my kids riding their run bikes but they sure hit the ground differently than a 4 or 5 year old kid and they're just about as crazy riding off curbs and finding things to try to jump off of. If a good FF helmet can keep them safer while we're out having fun and learning to fall properly then I'm all for it.

Your kids aren't toddlers… They are the size of 9yr olds!

June 27, 2013, 12:56 p.m.

https://www.jrbicycles.com/storefront/index.php?act=viewCat[HTML_REMOVED]catId=279

The FLY brand come in youth sizes. The DEFAULT model https://www.jrbicycles.com/storefront/index.php?act=viewProd[HTML_REMOVED]productId=4659
is pretty light and not too pricey. LANCER model on sale too.

"May a commune of gay, Marxist Muslim illegal immigrants use your tax dollars to open a drive-thru abortion clinic in your church."

June 27, 2013, 2 p.m.

This whole "Well, I did {something that at the time was normal but is now considered reckless/unsafe} and I survived OK train of thought.

Seatbelts, bike helmets, the social acceptability of driving drunk, all of us of a certain age lived through these things. Saying that this proves that these actions were safe is idiotic.

Just because you survived without wearing one while you were young doesn't mean that doing so isn't dangerous, just that you're one of the survivors, the others aren't around to talk about it. Granted, they'd be in the minority, but their absence should be deafening.

A full-face might not be needed all the time, but for the few times it's used, it's invaluable. My 5yr old rides probably more than a lot of people on this board, and I can't count the number of times he's uses the full face aspect of his helmet. It's not only saved him from countless chipped teeth, facial scars and broken noses, but also kept him interested in his bike and possibly saved him from much worse effects of hard crashes.

Bottom line, get a FF and don't listen to the non-parents. You, your dentist, your wife, and especially your kid will thank you.

POC makes a small light one, it's far from cheap though. You can also look at a Bell Bellistic, they're relatively light and a lot less $$.

iforonewelcome.com

June 27, 2013, 2:06 p.m.

John Henry are selling Mace Hornet FF's for $50 (size L/XL only).

June 27, 2013, 2:14 p.m.

Bottom line, get a FF and don't listen to the non-parents. You, your dentist, your wife, and especially your kid will thank you.

True dat. Although you do have consider that the kid may be less interested in riding if he/she has to put on too much padding and all. So some balance (in helmet choice) is a good thing.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

June 27, 2013, 3:02 p.m.

Although you do have consider that the kid may be less interested in riding if he/she has to put on too much padding and all.

Doesn't seem to deter kids from playing hockey…