To sell, or not to sell...

Jan. 3, 2016, 4:13 a.m.

So, I have the opportunity to sell my old bike (2011 Trek Scratch Air):

And pick up one of these:

(Canyon Spectral EX 7.0)

The Trek has served me quite well, and I've got some time and love invested in it. That being said, I've always felt it was a touch too small for me (Geometry resembles more of a medium than a large, and I'm 1,83m (6ft)) and lets face it, she's getting old. On top of that, I'm not hitting the bike park that much these days, and although it still happens, I'm rarely hitting any drops/jumps over 1.5 meters. At 14.2kg, it's a lot of bike to lug around on longer rides.

I can just afford the Canyon right now, and I find the spec really good for the price. Outside of the wheels. I mean they're OK, but I'm used to relatively quick DT hubs and wide rims. Is 21mm enough to run tubeless with 2.3" tires? I'm currently on 23mm rims, which I guess aren't THAT much wider.
I still like to rail berms and see if I can cut my tires open through rock gardens… Am I going to kill these rims? Also, 24 spokes?

Oh and last but not least, I would be without a proper mtb for 4.5 months waiting for the Canyon.

All advice is welcome. I'm really flip flopping on this one…

Jan. 3, 2016, 7:27 a.m.

I would do it. Few things motivate more than a new bike. Maybe getting a new bike after a four month wait motivates even more.

FWIW I have a friend with a similar canyon and she is very happy with it.

Jan. 3, 2016, 11:57 a.m.

That Canyon looks tasty. It also seems to have a longer tt than your Trek.
I'd do it. 'specially if it came in carbon flavour, eh?

edit: Just checked out the SPECTRAL CF 9.0 EX on their site and except for the press fit bb the numbers on that thing excite!

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Jan. 3, 2016, 12:22 p.m.

Do it,
but get the Strive AL instead of the Spectral =)

The SRAM wheels have DTSWISS freehubs. At least the higher end ones do.
I actually just upgraded my Rail50 (in my Strive CF) from the 18t ratchet to the 36t ratchet. Really dig the faster engagement.

Don´t know if it works with the Roam wheels, but might be possible.

The Rail 50 is 22mm internal rim width. I actually do like the wheels. My 25mm id Rovals offered a nicer tire profile, but if I am honest - there´s little to no difference when riding.

4.5 months without a bike suck though. And be sure your Canyon arrives on time - they sometimes deliver not exactly in time.

All in all they make really good bikes though.

Jan. 3, 2016, 12:44 p.m.

Looks like a great ride if you can justify the cost! Nice specs for the price and heard good things about the brand.

Maybe not expect too much in terms of weight difference if your current ride is 14.2 kg all in? The Canyon spec says 12.8, probably based on a medium so say at least 13 for a large. Add pedals and the difference is probably a bit less than a kilo.

Geometry is way more important than a couple of pounds… are you able to test ride a canyon so you know it fits you and you're getting the right size frame? Also yeah imagine if those 4.5 months turn into 6 or 7, still worth it?

Not sure where you're located but around here last years bikes come up for sale around this time of year. And you could get a bike right away. So maybe worth shopping around?

Jan. 3, 2016, 3:17 p.m.

Never ask strangers for direction on an important personal decision. So……….do it.

Shed head!

Jan. 3, 2016, 5:10 p.m.

id do it in a heart beat. Although it would be hard going to the new rims from wtb i23 frequency rims which I think are perfect for 2.3 tires.
The canyon looks tasty…

Jan. 3, 2016, 5:58 p.m.

so new bike but you will be without a bike to ride til mid April ?? not sure if I could be bike-less for that long unless there was 3ft of snow covering everything around .

#northsidetrailbuilders

Jan. 3, 2016, 6 p.m.

No bike for 4.5 months would suck but if you have a good opportunity to sell your old bike take it! It's only getting older.

Jan. 3, 2016, 6:37 p.m.

If you want something in the similar price range and geo, there's new 2016 devinci Troy RS 3400 cad for alloy

http://www.devinci.com/bikes/bike_703_scategory_166