TLD D2 or D3 helmets in Lower Mainland

April 21, 2015, 2:47 p.m.

So… if safety equipment is "cool", then who am I to argue.

My boy is doing the full DFX program this summer, plus the spring program, so will be putting in lots of miles in the park.

His old Bell is too tight and a tank of a hot helmet. He dreams of a TLD D2 or D3 helmet (who doesn't, really?)…. but a couple things:

1. I work full-time, so can't drive around every shop in the City looking;
2. I work full-time to put food on the table and give the kids and ourselves a good life, which mean $$$ gets spread across the board, so full price TLD is not in the cards;
3. This will be the boys' 10th B-day present from us and his grandparents

Anyone know which shop carries TLD D2 and D3 helmets, and preferably, who has them on sale??? Looking for XS/S in D2 and S in D3.

Thanks in advance for any help. We'll deal with "colourway" when we get there….

April 21, 2015, 3:16 p.m.

I drove around north van the other weekend and the only place I found any D3's was at cove. Not on sale though

April 21, 2015, 3:26 p.m.

So… if safety equipment is "cool", then who am I to argue.

My boy is doing the full DFX program this summer, plus the spring program, so will be putting in lots of miles in the park.

His old Bell is too tight and a tank of a hot helmet. He dreams of a TLD D2 or D3 helmet (who doesn't, really?)…. but a couple things:

1. I work full-time, so can't drive around every shop in the City looking;
2. I work full-time to put food on the table and give the kids and ourselves a good life, which mean $$$ gets spread across the board, so full price TLD is not in the cards;
3. This will be the boys' 10th B-day present from us and his grandparents

Anyone know which shop carries TLD D2 and D3 helmets, and preferably, who has them on sale??? Looking for XS/S in D2 and S in D3.

Thanks in advance for any help. We'll deal with "colourway" when we get there….

Off the top of my head: in Vancouver, Dunbar but I would call and have them triple check stock before coming in; North Van: Cove, Steed and Lynn Valley Bikes carry TLD, but again call… Steed and Cove would probably have the best stock.

I'd personally get the D3 if those are the only two options; I feel like it's a safer helmet of the two. Price is generally irrelevant to me when I'm considering safety of my head and brain, and would be thinking of the same for my child.

To be honest, the D3 to me isn't something that does anything better than many $100-150 helmets; other than say TLD on it and match some race pyjamas.

April 21, 2015, 3:43 p.m.

you can find them online cheap. I know Lynn Valley bikes used to carry them and I would buy there if I was in the market for another one.

TLD are light and very comfortable. I say if you don't plan on crashing much go for it. If you crash often $300 - 600 is alot to spend on a helmet you may need to replace frequently.

April 21, 2015, 7 p.m.

at one time Velocity had a good selection of TLD helmets , no idea if they have any in stock heard the place is a ghost tomn now

#northsidetrailbuilders

April 21, 2015, 7:10 p.m.

Cove and Steed. Not sure on pricing though. Do you know the exact size he needs? Fanatik in WA. Not sure what FanatykCo and Summit will have in next week when WeSlurr opens but could call them as well

There is a D3 Composite now as well. Lighter on the wallet, slightly heavier on the neck.

No interest in POC?

I didn't like the D2 but found the D3 to fit myself much better. Just ordered a colour matching A1 a few days ago 8)

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

April 21, 2015, 7:14 p.m.

store.dunbarcycles.com has a bunch of TLD D3 helmets at decent prices.

April 21, 2015, 7:15 p.m.

You can often get smokin' deals on helmets that are 1 or 2 model years old. Usually large or small sizes. That's what I've generally done. I don't think I have a melon-head by any stretch, but I take an XXL TroyLee D3 which served me well for 3 seasons which I've replaced it this season with a POC L/XL (I only paid $150 at Dunbar).

I didn't like the D2 but found the D3 to fit myself much better. Just ordered a colour matching A1 a few days ago

I take an XXLarge D3 but my size Large A1 is a tad large. I have to pull the chinstrap really tight to stop it from moving around. Go figure.

April 21, 2015, 8:19 p.m.

For TLD helmets you need to shop on line and Pinkbike buy and sell. Lots of deals out there but you need to search. Not many deals in local shops except maybe Dunbar.

April 21, 2015, 8:48 p.m.

No interest in POC?

I wondered the same thing….really like the fit and feel of the one I have.

Loud Hubs Save Lives

April 21, 2015, 9:07 p.m.

^Could be fit related, could be styling, could be marketing, could be his favourite riders wear one.

Hit or miss on the styling for people between TLD and POC.

I can't recall the fitment of the POC, but I did spend the extra cheddar on the D3 Carbon as I liked the look m0ar!

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

April 21, 2015, 9:48 p.m.

at one time Velocity had a good selection of TLD helmets , no idea if they have any in stock heard the place is a ghost tomn now

They're good for small parts, and odds and ends. They carry some really cool bikes and if it's in stock they'll cut you a good deal. But gone are the days of being a super packed, over stocked shop. As far as I know none of the shops are like that anymore. Most have HUGE floor space, and sparse stocked walls.

April 21, 2015, 10:11 p.m.

D3 XL fits me like a glove. The biggest POC I could only wear as a hat. Wonder if their sizing has changed in the last few years.

April 22, 2015, 9:25 a.m.

Walrus nailed this one! I simply couldn't afford new retail prices for the TLD D3, but get what folks were saying about fit and quality. I surfed the PinkBike, and we found a new with tags D3 2014 model from Onterrible from a reputable seller. A few emails and back and forth and a couple more photos to verify and the deal was done. $250 shipped, not taxes.

It's a bit blingy, but he'll have it for 2 or 3 years (depending on crashes). If his head swells to much due to mega-whip glory on A-Line, his mom can "inherit" it.

And it was the Deep blue/white version that will nearly match his TLD GrandPrix Jersey.

Punky… also bang on. It's the helmet of his hero's. Fairclough, Hill. And when will Stevie be back???? So marketing does work. It was the other way with POC for skiing being the only acceptable choice. I'm happy to buy them safety gear that they WANT to wear. And BTW, Summit in Whistler FTW for POC stuff (at least last season).

Thanks everyone.

April 22, 2015, 11:42 a.m.

You'll need to fit it. That's the most important thing about helmets. So if you don't know the fit for sure, don't buy online. I wore D2's for years, tried a D3 and couldn't find one that fit. I ended up with a Fox Rampage, a size smaller than what I'd normally use. I tried on a ton of different helmet brands, every single one fit very differently.

Dunbar generally carries a good TLD stock.