Titanium alloy 3D printed frame

Feb. 10, 2014, 5:29 p.m.

Here's the link. http://www.dezeen.com/2014/02/07/worlds-first-3d-printed-bicycle-frame/

Apparently it lowers the cost of production, and it's lighter without compromising strength. I could see the cost of production being reduced significantly, but I'm not sure of their credibility regarding the strength vs. weight until some thorough testing has been completed. The testing so far looks like it backs up their optimistic claims.

Thoughts?

Feb. 10, 2014, 5:51 p.m.

That seat post holding web thingy though

:japan:

Feb. 10, 2014, 5:57 p.m.

thats pretty cool.

this carbon fibre printer has me really excited. http://markforged.com/

i can see a not too distant future where the large scale use of 3d printers bring med/high tech manufacturing back too north america.

Feb. 10, 2014, 6:24 p.m.

Awesome.

i can see a not too distant future where the large scale use of 3d printers bring med/high tech manufacturing back too north america.

i hope you're right, but it still takes labour to clean it up, weld it and assemble it

Feb. 10, 2014, 7:42 p.m.

The technology is interesting, but for good or bad, I can't help but be reminded of this:

….which is a hell of a lot older than some people may think, and as awesome as it was for it's time, it's weird that Empire would chose the same layout as it for much of the bike. Same for their production bikes. It'd be a good kick in the face to the marketers if the design still holds up though.

treezz
wow you are a ass

Feb. 10, 2014, 10:04 p.m.

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Feb. 10, 2014, 11:29 p.m.

Bikes will still be expensive cuz Fox Racing Shox and Shimano XTR still be bling.

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

Feb. 11, 2014, 10:47 a.m.

The technology is interesting, but for good or bad, I can't help but be reminded of this:

….which is a hell of a lot older than some people may think, and as awesome as it was for it's time, it's weird that Empire would chose the same layout as it for much of the bike. Same for their production bikes. It'd be a good kick in the face to the marketers if the design still holds up though.

Exactly.

Feb. 11, 2014, 12:19 p.m.

Ridiculously cool bike - both the San Andreas and the printed contraption.

I wouldn´t necessarily buy it, as I am almost cured of my early-adopteritis. But I´d wager that I´ll live to see the world of ubiquitous 3D-printing. (I just turned 30)
:mullet:

Feb. 11, 2014, 2:24 p.m.

I realize that this is some sort of prototype but it definitely looks like the rear swingarm will smack the seatube under the tiniest of compression.

Doesn't leave much trust in the rest of their work!

Feb. 11, 2014, 4:44 p.m.

Charge made printed ti dropouts a while back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkwd2YXNy9I