tires and rims that work for ghetto tubeless

June 5, 2008, 1:33 p.m.

I had huge issues with Nevegals on 729 and doubletracks. No issues with Michie Comp 24's and same rims.

June 5, 2008, 3:12 p.m.

I had huge issues with Nevegals on 729 and doubletracks. No issues with Michie Comp 24's and same rims.

I have 729's and 2.5 neve's no issues with stans

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

June 9, 2008, 7:08 a.m.

Syncros DS28/Stans freeride/Maxxis DHF……still up in the air.

Me too. I have a DHF 2-ply with a Stans Rhynolite and a DHF single-ply ghetto and both have fluid leaks around the bead. I have not had any flats or burping but it is annoying. Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't have bought the DS28's with the intention of going tubeless.

I'm not up in the air about these Syncros rims any more, specifically for tubeless. I'm done. Another flat on the weekend, hit an off camber rock and blew all the air out of the front tire, tossing me yet again into the bush. I've hit this section dozens of times exactly the same on my 729's without issue. The DS-28's just don't seem to hold the bead in tubeless. I've been running tubeless for about 3 years and this is the first rim that I've had problems with.

In their defence, they aren't a tubeless specific rim, but neither were any of the other rims I used.

I've had to re-tension the rear rim 3 times in the couple of months that I've had these too. I guess my hackness doesn't go well with lightweight rims. The worst part of it all is the silent snickering coming from Robot, Seand and Ewan after they all advised against me buying these rims.

June 9, 2008, 8:05 a.m.

im thinking of going tubless. ive got mitch comps a mavic 729 front wheel back is a 321. is the 321 ok or will i need to get a different wheel?

June 9, 2008, 8:21 a.m.

I'm not up in the air about these Syncros rims any more, specifically for tubeless. I'm done. Another flat on the weekend, hit an off camber rock and blew all the air out of the front tire, tossing me yet again into the bush. I've hit this section dozens of times exactly the same on my 729's without issue. The DS-28's just don't seem to hold the bead in tubeless. I've been running tubeless for about 3 years and this is the first rim that I've had problems with.

In their defence, they aren't a tubeless specific rim, but neither were any of the other rims I used.

I've had to re-tension the rear rim 3 times in the couple of months that I've had these too. I guess my hackness doesn't go well with lightweight rims. The worst part of it all is the silent snickering coming from Robot, Seand and Ewan after they all advised against me buying these rims.

breaths sigh of relief for ALMOST buying the ds-28's

July 9, 2008, 7:06 a.m.

Anyone tried 721s with Ghetto?

July 9, 2008, 8:12 a.m.

I have 729's and 2.5 neve's no issues with stans

I recently discovered 729 + Minions + stans = good

Sun Doubletracks/Stans DH strips + Kenda Nevegal DH = good
Alex Supra D/Stans DH strips + Kenda Nevegal DH = good
Mavic 729/Stans DH strips + Kenda Nevegal DH, Maxxis Minion DHF = good

Syncros DS28/Stans freeride/Maxxis DHF……still up in the air. I dented the front in Kamloops and flatted. I didn't question it too much. This weekend the rear flatted after a practice run at the Rat Race for no apparent reason. I didn't notice it until I was loading up for the next shuttle. I threw a tube in for the rest of the weekend.

Here are a few combos I have run over the years.

Kenda Nevegal 2.5 DH casing + Mavic EX729 - Ghetto = GOOD
Kenda Nevegal 2.5 DH casing + Deemax - UST = GOOD
Kenda Nevegal 2.5 DH casing + Mavic 823 - Ghetto = GOOD
Maxxis High Roller 2.5 ST + Mavic EX729 - Ghetto = GOOD
Maxxis High Roller 2.5 ST + Double Track- Ghetto = GOOD
Maxxis High Roller 2.6 24" + Double Track 24"- Ghetto = GOOD
Maxxis Mobster 2.5 DH + Mavic EX729 - Ghetto = GOOD
Michelin Comp 16 2.5 + Mavic EX729 - Ghetto = GOOD
Michelin Comp 16 2.5 + Mavic 823 - Ghetto = GOOD
Michelin Comp 24 2.5 + Mavic EX729 - Ghetto = GOOD
Big Earl 2.5 + Mavic 823 - Ghetto = GOOD
Big Earl 2.5 + Deemax - UST = GOOD
Big Earl 2.35 kevlar + DT Swiss 5.1D - Ghetto = GOOD
Maxxis Minion DHF 2.35 Kevlar + DT Swiss 5.1D - Ghetto = GOOD

Kenda Nevegal 2.5 single ply + Mavic EX729 - Ghetto = BAD

Anyone tried 721s with Ghetto?

I think someone has…..

There's no difference between ghetto and stans strip IMO (except Stans is easier
to reuse).
I think no matter what use the Stans sealant though (I do on both my Stans strip
rims and ghetto strip rims).

July 9, 2008, 8:44 a.m.

Posted via Mobile Device

"Walk a mile in another man's shoes. Then, you'll be a mile away from him and have his shoes."

http://www.valleyvetservices.com
www.vmta.ca

July 9, 2008, 8:50 a.m.

I too have had it with the same syncros rims. I completely noodlified it without doing anything worthy. Unlike others experiences, mine still held air with a single ply folding bead 2.5 nevegal. Regardless, I have checked this rim off my list and am now back using a WTB Laserdisc that is running true and leak free with the same tire after some good Whistler abuse.

"Walk a mile in another man's shoes. Then, you'll be a mile away from him and have his shoes."

http://www.valleyvetservices.com
www.vmta.ca

July 9, 2008, 9:49 a.m.

I think someone has…..

There's no difference between ghetto and stans strip IMO (except Stans is easier
to reuse).
I think no matter what use the Stans sealant though (I do on both my Stans strip
rims and ghetto strip rims).

721s NOT 729s

July 9, 2008, 7:44 p.m.

721s NOT 729s

Haha, my face is red…

July 9, 2008, 9:27 p.m.

In fact…they are a tube specific rim. Those gouges are supposed to keep the tire from sliding over on the tube and pinching the valve stem. I wish I had known that before I bought them…although I have not had the same problems you have had.

July 9, 2008, 11:28 p.m.

i just did tubeless tonight
729 w/ minion dhr 2.5 super tackys
721 w minion dhf 2.5 super tackys

used the stans kit

worked out sweet and easier than i thought it would be

thanks north shore bike shop!

brokezors

Jan. 10, 2009, 11:30 p.m.

Kenda Nevegal 2.5 single ply + Mavic EX729 - Ghetto = BAD

I'm having trouble with Kenda Nevegal 2.5 single ply (wire bead) on Mavic 521s (ghetto). Has anyone had success/failure with these tires? Dean W, were these the wire bead or folding type Nevs?

The rims worked great for both single ply and DH Maxxis tires. The sealant just keeps squirting out between the tire and rim and never gets enough pressure to seal.

Jan. 11, 2009, 9:13 a.m.

Under the stans strip (or ghetto tube/strip) put either:
a) a few layers of grip tape (like the kind you use for a baseball bat/or maybe
a hockey stick?) with a final layer of electrical tape (cheap)/rim tape (not as cheap). This works if your groove isn't too deep. That's all I used when I had
mag 30's/dhx etc.

b) one strip of foam insulating strip (the kind that comes on a roll) w/ a final layer
of electric tape/rim tape. What I use on my 729's.

If you have a really deep grove (forgot the proper name) and the foam doesn't
do it alone, try a bit of both.

I found that for a DH rim (729/mag/dhx) that I needed three final strips of electrical
tape to finish. One in the middle over the foam and one over lapping on either
side. If you just try and put on in the middle, the foam kinda gets deformed
and offsets the strip a bit giving a wobble to the tire.

Anyway, good luck with the nevegals, I've only had success with the DH versions.
The others (wire and kevlar bead leaks like crazy out the side walls).