Tires 27.5

Jan. 20, 2015, 1:51 p.m.

ran the mm / rr setup last year (worked well enough for me, though wore fast). thinking mavic charge/roam this year for something different. anyone with experience on these? maxxis does work, but they're kinda boring, ya know? plus, the short knob rear tires (with big cornering blocks) are really fun.

Jan. 20, 2015, 4:34 p.m.

Maxxis Minions, in either DHF or DHR pattern. Get 3C / TR / EXO and never look back.

Really want Maxxis to offer a 26x2.4 folding bead DHR2 3C/TR DH tire. Would run those front/rear all season and throw a Magic Mary up front when the slop comes.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Jan. 20, 2015, 8:17 p.m.

Maxxis Minions, in either DHF or DHR pattern. Get 3C / TR / EXO and never look back.

Yes.

Jan. 20, 2015, 8:24 p.m.

From what I'm reading the MM Trailstar tires seem to be likely the closest to Nevegal Stick-e tires with regards to weight and sticky/spin. Best for slow tech wet rooty stuff.

Hans Dampf are in between Nobby Nic Trailstar and MM Trailstar. Probably like the current tires I have the Maxxis Highroller II ?

Tires use to be easier to figure out years ago - best wet sticky tires for the NShore trails (which were all the same - steep, rooty, rocky, stunted and all slick in the wet but not too muddy) was the Mich Comp16 tires (no longer made, heavy DH tires, that wore out crazy fast). Nearly everyone rode the same trails (not much else available) and most came to the same conclusion about the tires of the day. Now with a lot of trail/riding styles available it becomes difficult to determine the best tire for an individual.

But thanx for the input. Still not certain what to get but interesting to see the opinions - esp when the poster describes the trail types or riding style they usually ride. If anyone use to (or still) rides Nevegal stick-e (NOT the DTC) kevlar bead and can compare them to other tires they ride/rode that's great (one poster did - thanx).

Weight and ride wise anything comparable to the Nobby Nic Trailstar tires? Thanx again.

The Michy 3.0's on the front were the shit back in the day. The widest they come now is 2.6.

Thread killer

Jan. 20, 2015, 9:42 p.m.

Quoted because there is no better tire combo. My preference being DHR2 front and rear.

Jan. 21, 2015, 6:09 a.m.

I've been rocking the Vee Rubber Trail Taker up front lately. Pretty impressive I have to say, super cheap too. Best of both worlds. Its very similar to the HR2 but has these little intermediate knobs instead. The profile is very round, which definitely would benefit a wide rim. Its a good example of where I would love to see other brands go - cheap but good.

I've also been running the WTB Vigilante in the rear and that tire blows me away. Its almost perfect for riding in Kamloops. I have yet to use it anywhere else but I'm guessing for most areas it will be a winner.

Trail Taker:

Jan. 21, 2015, 5:31 p.m.

I was running a Magic Mary upfront with a Nobby nic in the back until I shredded the Nic at the bike park. Now I'm running an old Hans Dampf on the back and it feels like shit. Slidey, no traction during braking, feels heavy and slow. Anyone ridden the new Nobby nic? It looks friggin awesome.

Jan. 22, 2015, 10:44 a.m.

Good combo but I find that Specialized tyres wear almost as fast as Maxxis do

Everyday on a bicycle is a good day!!

Jan. 22, 2015, 11:17 a.m.

my favorite mid-size combo so far has been butcher front / purgatory rear

all hail the big red s

Haven't tried the Butcher. But Purgatory on the back is my fave. As soon as I burn through the Bontragers that came on my new Remedy, a new Purgatory will be on the back. May try the Butcher up front then, too. Or go back to my old personal front fave…the Ardent 2.4 EXO.

Jan. 22, 2015, 2:48 p.m.

Hr. But Purgatory on the back is my fave. .

Anyone ever try it on the front?

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Jan. 22, 2015, 6:21 p.m.

Really want Maxxis to offer a 26x2.4 folding bead DHR2 3C/TR DH tire. Would run those front/rear all season and throw a Magic Mary up front when the slop comes.

They already offer this for a awhile..
Just checked website because I had considered them last year. I run the 2.3 (true to size) and have been loving it
http://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-470-121-minion-dhr-ii#sizes

Jan. 22, 2015, 6:29 p.m.

Just saw a tire on Maxxis website called the shorty? Anybody try one of these? Supposed to ve for loose wet mud conditions..

Jan. 22, 2015, 7:05 p.m.

Anyone ever try it on the front?

Yeah. Doesn't corner for shit.

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Jan. 22, 2015, 8:29 p.m.

Yeah. Doesn't corner for shit.

Well neither can I so it'll have to do 'cause it's already there. :D
Can't be any worse than the worn out Nevegal it's replacing.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Jan. 22, 2015, 9:52 p.m.

Quoted because there is no better tire combo. My preference being DHR2 front and rear.

I used to feel this way (DHF f[HTML_REMOVED]r) but now I am enjoying the HR2 up front and DHR2 in the back. Great combo in EXO 3C format.