Tire pressure gauge

Dec. 2, 2013, 9:01 a.m.

I got a Topeak SmartGauge D2. I use it for everything from bike tires, to fork pressure to car tires.

It's brilliant.

Not to hijack the thread, but I have a question about gauges and pumps, and I was going to post a thread about it, but I thought I'd ask here…

I wanted to get a bit more precision out of airing up my tires, so I picked up a Topeak SmartGauge D2. Now I'm more confused than ever. I never quite know what to go with as there's an 8.5 psi difference between my pump (Specialized AirTool Pro) and the gauge. For example, if I pump up my tires to 30 psi according to my floor pump and then immediately put the gauge on, I'm told that they are 21.5 psi… Not sure which one to trust…

I guess if I'm not mashing my rims on every rock, it doesn't really matter, but I'm a bit obsessive about stuff, so having an 8.5 psi difference between two tools is driving me up the wall…

Ride, don't slide.

Dec. 2, 2013, 9:29 a.m.

I always take a reading with either the foot pump gauge, if it works, or a pressure gauge. And I never run high psi for climbing. It is a myth that high psi on rough surfaces rolls faster. On a wooden track high psi is faster. On rough roads every little bump that your tire can't absorb changes forward motion into upward motion.

Schwalbe did testing that confirmed wide tires at low psi rolled fastest and easiest. I think they found a 2.35 at 21 psi rolled best but 21 might be too soft for many riders.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Dec. 2, 2013, 9:52 a.m.

It's nice to have a gauge to calibrate yourself at first. That said, going by feel is, ironically, more accurate. PSI is almost an arbitrary number because tire casings vary so much in stiffness. I'll run ~25PSI in DH tires, but have to run ~33PSI in 1.5 Ply, and [HTML_REMOVED]35 in single ply tires.
There's lot's more to it than just air pressure, but it's still worth getting the gauge, just dont use it like a bible.

Dec. 2, 2013, 10:31 a.m.

Not to hijack the thread, but I have a question about gauges and pumps, and I was going to post a thread about it, but I thought I'd ask here…

I wanted to get a bit more precision out of airing up my tires, so I picked up a Topeak SmartGauge D2. Now I'm more confused than ever. I never quite know what to go with as there's an 8.5 psi difference between my pump (Specialized AirTool Pro) and the gauge. For example, if I pump up my tires to 30 psi according to my floor pump and then immediately put the gauge on, I'm told that they are 21.5 psi… Not sure which one to trust…

I'd try with another gauge and compare. My floor pump (generic MEC china brand) reads low relative to the Topeak as well. My gauge is right.

D.

Dec. 2, 2013, 11:09 a.m.

Only place high tire pressure helps is if you're on a smooth road, and on a road bike.

Not to be a nitpick, but even on road bikes you don't want to pump the tire up to the max. I run 90 front and 100 rear on my 23c Ultremos and it's like rolling on a speedy cloud. Even the smoothest road has little imperfections.

Check my stuff for sale!

Dec. 2, 2013, 11:47 a.m.

I'd try with another gauge and compare. My floor pump (generic MEC china brand) reads low relative to the Topeak as well. My gauge is right.

D.

Did you get the gauge before or after all the burps you got this summer? ;)

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Dec. 2, 2013, 12:18 p.m.

I always take a reading with either the foot pump gauge, if it works, or a pressure gauge. And I never run high psi for climbing. It is a myth that high psi on rough surfaces rolls faster. On a wooden track high psi is faster. On rough roads every little bump that your tire can't absorb changes forward motion into upward motion.

Schwalbe did testing that confirmed wide tires at low psi rolled fastest and easiest. I think they found a 2.35 at 21 psi rolled best but 21 might be too soft for many riders.

Interesting…

Dec. 2, 2013, 12:25 p.m.

Referring to the Lezyne one?

I was actually referring to the one from mec in your orig. post, but the Lezyne one is nicer yet and not a lot more money..

I just carry a mini pen/stick type so if I lose or break I don't have to care..

I ride bikes, when I can.

Dec. 2, 2013, 1:20 p.m.

Home Depot has a small round gauge that tops out at 60 psi. Cheap and I checked mine against a Fluke 717 pressure meter and it was pretty accurate, unlike the meter on my cheap bike pump which was around 10-12 PSI low.

Originally posted by Purecanadianhoney
I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.

Dec. 2, 2013, 2:10 p.m.

Home Depot has a small round gauge that tops out at 60 psi. Cheap and I checked mine against a Fluke 717 pressure meter and it was pretty accurate, unlike the meter on my cheap bike pump which was around 10-12 PSI low.

This one?

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/2-in-round-tire-gauge/968128

I'm assuming this probably doesn't work with presta?

Dec. 2, 2013, 2:56 p.m.

This one?

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/2-in-round-tire-gauge/968128

I'm assuming this probably doesn't work with presta?

That's the one. Schrader only.

Originally posted by Purecanadianhoney
I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.

Dec. 4, 2013, 1:22 a.m.

http://www.lezyne.com/products/hand-pumps/high-volume#!pen-gauge

all the Lezyne stuff I have is pure quality. no comment on this gauge though as I've never used it.

I didn't know they have that. I don't understand the description; any know if it will it work with their road bike pump?

The two Lezyne pumps I have are excellent. Small, light, fast, and it's easy to get 100 psi with the road pump.

As for pressures, I found that my car inflation gauge shows that my Joe Blow floor pump's gauge is pretty accurate.

And for MTB tires, a good pressure is one that's just enough to avoid pinch flats. Tires are the best shock absorbers.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Dec. 4, 2013, 7:27 a.m.

Gosh I threw my Lezyne across the room. I hated the way it spun onto the valve. Was kind of a bummer that i broke it because it was pricey.

But yeah I have a small plastic digital gauge… think it was $20 at Lynn Valley. It's blue and really light so it doesn't slow me down.

Dec. 4, 2013, 7:31 a.m.

Spin hose onto valve, then pump body onto hose.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Dec. 4, 2013, 4:25 p.m.

oh my digital PSI gauge is Schwalbe. works. i test before every ride. Dented a few rims beforehand.