Tips for sore hands?

Sept. 10, 2012, 11:04 p.m.

Or your boxxer is just shitaked, throw some fresh oil in that shiz.

Sept. 11, 2012, 10:09 a.m.

In this order:
1. don't hold on so tight
2. less brakes
3. adjust riding position
4. oury grips

Sept. 11, 2012, 2 p.m.

One possible fix - that I'm eager to play around with next time I'm on the bike - is body position. Google "downhill biking body position" there's a Transition video on pinkbike on it. The jist of it is if you are riding too far back, and not centered over your bike with a light grip, you'll have a lot of arm and hand fatigue as you're constantly fighting to hold yourself up slightly.
My guess is if you're over braking you also might be a little hesitant with body position and hanging over the back wheel a bit too much in what feels like a safer position?

This is a good point - I think a lightbulb just went off in my head. Thanks for the heads up!

I think I do lean too far back sometimes. I know this because sometimes on steep rock rolls my front tire ends up coming up once I reach the flat ground at the bottom and I basically end up in a wheelie position(since my weight is too far back).

Sept. 11, 2012, 6 p.m.

Have a boxxer RC… I'll try switching up the settings and see how that goes

Oh I see the problem. The easiest solution is going and getting yourself a newer coil spring 888. Problem solved.

Biking: As addictive as cocaine, twice as expensive!

:safrica: - :canada:

Sept. 13, 2012, 10:14 a.m.

Oh I see the problem. The easiest solution is going and getting yourself a newer coil spring 888. Problem solved.

As soon as I read the first post I thought "I wonder if this person is using a Boxxer". I used to get sore hands until I ditched my Boxxer and got a Fox 40. The more supple forks are way more forgiving on princess hands (like mine).

Of course that is an expensive solution that you don't want to hear I'm sure :) so… your hands/forearms will strengthen and you will learn to brake less as you gain confidence over time. Also grip exercises will help too - you can get all sorts of contraptions for grip strength from climbing shops, MEC, etc.

Sept. 13, 2012, 11:31 a.m.

Bring your levers in and angle them a bit more level rather than pointing straight down so you're not reaching as far for them. Seems to work for me.

Sept. 13, 2012, 11:44 a.m.

As soon as I read the first post I thought "I wonder if this person is using a Boxxer". I used to get sore hands until I ditched my Boxxer and got a Fox 40. The more supple forks are way more forgiving on princess hands (like mine).

Of course that is an expensive solution that you don't want to hear I'm sure :) so… your hands/forearms will strengthen and you will learn to brake less as you gain confidence over time. Also grip exercises will help too - you can get all sorts of contraptions for grip strength from climbing shops, MEC, etc.

Interesting point on the Boxxer… not going to go spend like $1500 on a new fork anytime soon though (bike only cost me 2300 new!). Would be interesting to test out another fork though to see how different it feels.

Got some of those grip things too… Maybe I can build up some strength in my hands before the 2013 WBP season!