Time Speciale 8 vs 12 - first clipless pedal

April 8, 2021, 1:28 p.m.

Posted by: thaaad

I have some Time MX6's that were ridden for about 1kilometer that you can have for like 40 bucks if you want them.

I have been an SPD guy my whole life and just can't deal with the amount of float, and I like my pedals to be very tight and these are more medium engagement and non adjustable.

Did you still have these? I'm game to come pick them up as I'm in need of a new set of pedals.

April 8, 2021, 5:59 p.m.

replied to pm

May 16, 2022, 8:47 a.m.

I've been on Time XCs for decades but starting to get hot spots under the ball of my feet.  I'm thinking about switching to the S8 for the wider platform, to distribute the weight.  When you are clipped in to the S8,  does your shoe come in contact with the platform?

May 17, 2022, 1:57 p.m.

I have the 12's, you can only feel the pins with your shoe not the actual pedal body when clipped in (at least with my Shimano AM9 shoes). I set the pins high enough to be able to just feel them when clipped in as I prefer that feeling. Fully free float feels weird to me, but I'm only one year into clipless on the mountain bike.

Side-note, a couple months after getting the 12's I clipped a rock and bent one of the spring mechanisms so that the retaining bar is at maybe a 10 degree angle. Tried to see if there was a warranty claim or rebuild option and told by SRAM nope, best they can do is crash replacement for $285. Kind of sucks you can't rebuild these things with new springs given the price and the fact it's marketed as an enduro pedal. So my solution is I have to look down at my left pedal every time I clip in to make sure it's the "good" non-bent side. The bent side is fine for climbing but doesn't have same retention now.

May 17, 2022, 2:35 p.m.

Posted by: grambo

I have the 12's, you can only feel the pins with your shoe not the actual pedal body when clipped in (at least with my Shimano AM9 shoes). I set the pins high enough to be able to just feel them when clipped in as I prefer that feeling. Fully free float feels weird to me, but I'm only one year into clipless on the mountain bike.

Side-note, a couple months after getting the 12's I clipped a rock and bent one of the spring mechanisms so that the retaining bar is at maybe a 10 degree angle. Tried to see if there was a warranty claim or rebuild option and told by SRAM nope, best they can do is crash replacement for $285. Kind of sucks you can't rebuild these things with new springs given the price and the fact it's marketed as an enduro pedal. So my solution is I have to look down at my left pedal every time I clip in to make sure it's the "good" non-bent side. The bent side is fine for climbing but doesn't have same retention now.

I think I have an old XC8 body at home that has ok springs/clips on it that you can have if there's a way to swap the guts over.

May 19, 2022, 1:28 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

Posted by: grambo

I think I have an old XC8 body at home that has ok springs/clips on it that you can have if there's a way to swap the guts over.

Thanks for the offer, need to take a look at how the pedal is actually assembled to see if it's even possible to replace the mechanism. SRAM/Time claim it is not on the Speciale 12.