Time for new leg armour, what to get?

Aug. 26, 2008, 12:50 p.m.

The only problem I have heard about the Fox Launch Pads is that they can chafe your skin really badly in some situations (really rainy rides, really dusty rides, excessively sweaty rides, etc).

Ask Ducati, Darthyoga, or even biggles604 about this as I know they have all had problems with it happening.

www.muddbunnies.com
www.nsmba.ca
www.bteamlovesyou.com

you can always make more money but you can never make more time.

I think it's called work for a reason. Or else they probably would have called it fun-time at the fun factory.

Aug. 26, 2008, 1:22 p.m.

The only problem I have heard about the Fox Launch Pads is that they can chafe your skin really badly in some situations (really rainy rides, really dusty rides, excessively sweaty rides, etc).

Ask Ducati, Darthyoga, or even biggles604 about this as I know they have all had problems with it happening.

Yeah, but the chafing stopped when they really broke in and I took a sip from my cup of HTFU :)
The chafing just above the knee was painful though.

Aug. 26, 2008, 1:25 p.m.

The TLD Lopes do look very interesting. Why white plastic though?

cuz it's trendy as fuck?

Aug. 27, 2008, 12:04 a.m.

The TLD Lopes do look very interesting. Why white plastic though?

white is high on the pimposity scale, duh… ;)

Check my stuff for sale!

Aug. 27, 2008, 7:38 a.m.

Is Beastgear out of business? The website does not work for me…damn, now I am in for some new, the threads on my very old Roach (the all black ones with protection at the calves…) are coming loose…:(

Website is working for me, they have direct sales if you are in North America through email.

Aug. 27, 2008, 12:09 p.m.

Website is working for me, they have direct sales if you are in North America through email.

Works for me now as well. Just sent them an email.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Sept. 7, 2008, 7:54 p.m.

CraigH, what did you end up buying, and how have they worked?

Sept. 8, 2008, 5:41 p.m.

Do any of these manufacturers conform to the EN1621-1 standard that applies to shoulder,elbow and knee protection? If crashing on a rock you need real protection not just something that prevents road rash.

Another NSMB elitist know it all wanker!

Sept. 8, 2008, 5:55 p.m.

fox launch pads… they dont slip, their light, they breath REALLY WELL.
that should cover it….

It is the moments in between disaster that we must find joy and meaning to life.

I can mud bog farther, its s chevy

Sept. 9, 2008, 10:30 a.m.

Locally, who carries Fox armour? I should go take a look at them.

I bought mine from Velocity in Langley.
Good guys there, and great prices.

I just feel like a bit of a tit riding around with my shorts tucked into my pads.

:lol:

I hate that feeling too.
Sombrio shorts aren't affected as much by this though.

Fox Launch, ftw!

Sept. 9, 2008, 10:47 a.m.

I tried a pair of the Mace softshell leg pads and like them. I still have my Roach/Raceface hardshells (okay for shuttles but not great for any pedalling).

The Mace softshells fit much better than the old Roach softshells and seem to be good in terms of not getting too hot. They stay in place and would appear to protect from most impacts. I haven't had the pleasure of dragging my legs or knees across sharp jagged rocks with these on so I can comment on how well they will work, but for pedal strikes and a couple of slide out type wipe outs they did what armour should.

Not sure if the softshell armour can every be a bulletproof as the hardshell, but if the pad stays in place it at least offers some protection.

They were also pretty cheap, I think I paid about $60-$65.

Sept. 13, 2008, 11:18 p.m.

CraigH, what did you end up buying, and how have they worked?

Unfortunately, I haven't bought anything yet. I haven't done any more bike park days since, just NS rides (used the old stuff) and XC/AM rides that didn't require armour.

Sept. 13, 2008, 11:32 p.m.

i ran raceface for years, now i run the THE knee/shins and im very happy, low weight and dont move around.

http://elbry.blogspot.com/

Sept. 14, 2008, 6:33 p.m.

I have the 661 Race pads. they have been serving me well for 3 years now…but they are starting to fall apart.

Fraser Valley Mountain Bikers Assoc.

Sept. 14, 2008, 8:14 p.m.

I know a someone that bought the TLD Lopes and they cracked, tore, and had the stitching fall apart within 3 days of easy riding.

I've been riding with the same Fox Launch pads for 3 years and they are still in great shape and haven't slipped once.