Time for new leg armour, what to get?

Sept. 14, 2008, 9:20 p.m.

recently I have tried the RAce Face ralley pads, both of the TLD's and a couple of others and none of them really fit me and to be honest none of them offer any more coverage than the Value Village special soccer shins and roller blade knees I've been using for the last couple of years. Until something comes along that fits well and offers some more protection, I will stick with my $15 of ghetto goodness.

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

Sept. 15, 2008, 7:35 a.m.

Beastgear did not write back - so I have to turn to other sources. And considering the price of Race Face or other stuff over here, I think about the following.

Last summer I bought some TSG knee guards (hard plastic outer, originally for skateboarding) but I found them comfy while in the bike. Now I think about getting some bmx shinpads.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

July 16, 2009, 11:53 a.m.

The DH model is what I have, they stay up great and arent too hot, the top half straps to the thigh and the bottom half to the shin/calve, and they pivot wonderfully. Your knee is completly encased from all angles in hard plastic, the hinge system is great, check them out in person.

After waiting way to long, I finally picked up a set of AXO TMKP leg armour from Obsession this morning.

A few friends of mine are using this armour and they are happy with it.

We'll see how it goes.

(If you are into coloured armour, it looks like the MX guys use the same armour and it is available in white, red, blue [HTML_REMOVED] chrome as well as the black.)

July 16, 2009, 1:18 p.m.

i just got some fox raptors, great pads.

http://elbry.blogspot.com/

Aug. 7, 2009, 1:18 p.m.

I had Race Face, then Roach, and now bought the SixSixOne storm trooper pads.

They're super comfortable. They slide down a little, but not as badly as the RF and Roach did. You have to take your shoes off to put them on and the mesh rips pretty easily at the top, but other than that I like them better. My buddy ponied up the cash and bought the new Roach's and they look pretty sweet.

I have no rep power….. :ohthedrama:

Aug. 7, 2009, 1:48 p.m.

I got the TLD's and while I like the ease of use, the quality is def not up to par. Stitching is coming undone after only 3 months of riding.

Aug. 7, 2009, 2:11 p.m.

Aug. 15, 2009, 6:32 p.m.

I have the fox launch shorty pads. I used to have the regular length launches and they were pretty good. The shorty's slide down a little over super rough rides. I just bought some fox knee gaskets (kind of like the TLD ones) that have a little pocket for the top of your shin pads.
Hope this will work to keep them where they should be.

http://shop.foxracing.com/ecomm/AutoForward.do?forward=home.pagedef#aforward=asyn[HTML_REMOVED]proId=12717[HTML_REMOVED]cid=148[HTML_REMOVED]cname=Guards[HTML_REMOVED]proNumber=29007[HTML_REMOVED]imgName=29007001F.jpg

sorry i couldn't get a pic to post

Aug. 16, 2009, 5:45 p.m.

I had Race Face, then Roach, and now bought the SixSixOne storm trooper pads.

They're super comfortable. They slide down a little, but not as badly as the RF and Roach did. You have to take your shoes off to put them on and the mesh rips pretty easily at the top, but other than that I like them better. My buddy ponied up the cash and bought the new Roach's and they look pretty sweet.

I'm going on 5 months with the 661's and the stitching on the top velcro leaves
something to be desired. Started to come off after the 4-5 ride or so. I've been
babying it since. They do give good protection (learned the hard way) though.

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

Aug. 16, 2009, 5:54 p.m.

I have worn 3 pairs of raceface and it is by far the best it take a bit to break in but after that they ae super comfy
and never move around

Aug. 16, 2009, 6:06 p.m.

TLD Lopes suck nuts, the hard shell is now cracked and I cannot even remember having a bail with them…

Aug. 16, 2009, 8:03 p.m.

TLD Lopes suck nuts, the hard shell is now cracked and I cannot even having a bail with them…

English?:dizzy:

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

Aug. 16, 2009, 11:02 p.m.

any reviews on those poc pads? where can you even buy them?

www.travelswithtyler.com

Aug. 17, 2009, 7:44 a.m.

I do not know - apparently POC have been around for some time in the winter sports, and their r[HTML_REMOVED]d seems to be good…have not had the chance to try some stuff.

I have the RF Rally DH and they are awesome. Comfy and they feel super sturdy and reliable. A bit warm maybe because of the extra protection on the back…but pedal bites suck more.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Aug. 17, 2009, 8:52 a.m.

I do not know - apparently POC have been around for some time in the winter sports, and their r[HTML_REMOVED]d seems to be good…have not had the chance to try some stuff.

I tried those POC legs on at Interbike last year and it was a super nice design. The knee has a seperated articulated piece underneath the hard plastic shell (filled with a D30 like gel) so that you still have above knee coverage when your leg is bent.

Raceface/Roach design is pretty old at this point and they haven't really improved on it at all.