Time for new leg armour, what to get?

Aug. 4, 2008, 10:34 p.m.

I've been using Roach/RaceFace leg armour since it came out, but using them for multiple hours in the bike parks causes the fabric to wear the skin off just above my knees. (Yes, I've washed them. Yes, I've tried protecting the skin with moleskin.)

What are people using these days?

Aug. 4, 2008, 10:42 p.m.

661 Tomcats. I have yet to find a reason to even consider anything else, and I've tried lots of leg armor before.

Aug. 4, 2008, 10:52 p.m.

661 Tomcats. I have yet to find a reason to even consider anything else, and I've tried lots of leg armor before.

I want shin coverage too, not just knees. Thanks though.

Aug. 4, 2008, 10:57 p.m.

I want shin coverage too, not just knees. Thanks though.

I've heard good things about the TLD Lopes pads. I'm sure others will chime in about them.

Aug. 4, 2008, 11:40 p.m.

I usually rock just knees pads, but have a pair of Axo knee shin combos, expensive but the best knee shin protection I have seen and very comfortable. Check the Axo out for sure.

Aug. 5, 2008, 2:36 a.m.

So far I have yet to find a pair of leg armour that stays cool and fits comfortably over a long period of time.

I started out using the Race Face FR leg armour and liked it a lot. Unfortunately within a year, almost all velcro straps snapped so I had to replace them.

Then I used the Lizard Skins shins and at first, they were really awesome (as in: I couldn't imagine a more comfortable shinguard). The drawback to those is that they're quite bulky, they're really hot and after a few months of riding they wouldn't really stay in place that well.

This is when I purchased the Troy Lee Lopes guards (pictured above). If you're looking for a full shin protection that you should definitely consider something else as they only go halfway down your shin. They were really comofortable, easy to put on and vented but the quality was to be desired (the stitching came loose withing my first ride) and most importantly, they never stayed in place when I crashed on them - so what's the point?

Right now I'm using the 661 Kyle Strait pads - not to follow some stupid trend but because they fit extremely well, are super comofortable and I usually never have any issues with my pedals hitting my shins, so I can get away with using kneeguards only.

Aug. 5, 2008, 3:56 a.m.

I've been using Roach/RaceFace leg armour since it came out, but using them for multiple hours in the bike parks causes the fabric to wear the skin off just above my knees. (Yes, I've washed them. Yes, I've tried protecting the skin with moleskin.)

I had the same problem. I put spandex/lycra sleeves on my knee area before puting my pads on, and that solved the problem.

Other than the initial de-skinning, they are great pads and have been going strong for a while…

The best things in life all start with the letter B
Hooray for: Bacon, Bikeys, Boobies, Boards, and Beer!

Aug. 5, 2008, 5:43 a.m.

having tried everything on the market the past 8 years..my advice would be to buy another pair of the Roach (race face) freeride knee/shins

sure they go sh*tty after a while..I'm now on my 2nd pair…I got 3 years out of my first set, until eventually the foam compressed too much and made my legs sore from sweat rash in Whistler last year, so grabbed some more whilst out there;)

well worth the price, probably the toughest leg/knee protector available, well made and stay put in any nasty crash i've had whether whistler at 30mph or wet vancouver north shore at 5mph in pile of rocks

I also run the 661 Kyle Strait for 'slopestylin (dirt jumping) and general trail riding, and just got some 661 Evo (D30) knee guards to replace my Kyle Straits which have worn out after 1.5 years of riding

the knee guards are great for less demanding terrain, but don't give the same confidence as the RF

Mythic / Da Kine / Esher Shore / Freeborn

http://hampsteadbandit.blogspot.com/

Aug. 5, 2008, 7:53 a.m.

having tried everything on the market the past 8 years..my advice would be to buy another pair of the Roach (race face) freeride knee/shins

too bulky.
My friend had that and crashed, he was on the ground in pain(knee) for a long time. the conclusion is pads can't save everything mind as well go with a more agile and cooler(temperature wise) than roach.
Fox pads are something to check out, the cross clip by the knees are really fast on the go, don't wear down, and vent fairly well compare to other pads.
The TLD pads are also great if you're worried about strap cutting, because it literally has a soft knee pad which you put on, it may seem like an hassel, but it's really great. You simply put it on climbing, then put the hardshell at the top.

Aug. 5, 2008, 7:57 a.m.

my recommendation is launch shorty.
I run the Launch pads, and my other friend runs the shorty, the shorty is pretty comparable to the TLD lopes pad shin protection wise.
http://shop.foxracing.com/ecomm/AutoForward.do?forward=home.pagedef#aforward=asyn[HTML_REMOVED]proId=16165[HTML_REMOVED]cid=148[HTML_REMOVED]cname=Guards[HTML_REMOVED]proNumber=29009[HTML_REMOVED]imgName=29009001F.jpg

Aug. 5, 2008, 8:03 a.m.

Without a doubt the Lopes pads from Troy Lee. I've had many Roach pads and even the old Dainese. The TLD pads come with a neoprene knee wrap which you can wear without the knee and shin pads on a light XC ride. Or you can strap on the pads when you a going to ride the gnarly stuff. They are light, not bulky, they breathe well and they provide a ton of protection. I went down in Whistler at high speed and the first and hardest impact was on my left knee. Came out without a scratch. Plus all the cool kids are wearing em;)

Shed head!

Aug. 5, 2008, 8:15 a.m.

Step 1 - go to your local thrift store

Step 2 - find a pair of old school hard-plastic soccer shin pads - the best ones are the ones with the built in ankle protectcion.

Step 3 - find the nicest pair of hard-shell roller blade knee pads in the store - make sure they don't conflict with the shins.

Step 4 - throw down the $8-9 dollars the whole deal just cost you and walk away happy.

I have been using a set of roller knees and soccer shins for about 3 years now - cost me about $8 and have survived everything I can throw at them - even a total high-speed "I wasn't looking where I was going" Mt Washington wipe-out. The only thing I am going to add is a hard-clip for the shin-knee interface. They have the same coverage as any MTB specific gear I have tried, the knee stays put better (especially if you get the kind that has a full mesh wrap AND velcro straps) and if I totally destroy them i can get another set for - oh no - $8-9!!!

They are also pretty breathable and I often wear the shin only for climbing to avoid pedal bashes.

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

Aug. 5, 2008, 8:16 a.m.

This is when I purchased the Troy Lee Lopes guards (pictured above). If you're looking for a full shin protection that you should definitely consider something else as they only go halfway down your shin. They were really comofortable, easy to put on and vented but the quality was to be desired (the stitching came loose withing my first ride) and most importantly, they never stayed in place when I crashed on them - so what's the point?

QUOTE]

When sized properly, the pads are long enough so that they come down to just above the ankle. I will agree, the stitching is something not that great but mine have held up nicely. But my crash experience is great comparatively, I would highly recommend these pads.

Shed head!

Aug. 5, 2008, 8:21 a.m.

I usually rock just knees pads, but have a pair of Axo knee shin combos, expensive but the best knee shin protection I have seen and very comfortable. Check the Axo out for sure.

These?

Or the DH model?

Aug. 5, 2008, 8:22 a.m.

Then I used the Lizard Skins shins and at first, they were really awesome (as in: I couldn't imagine a more comfortable shinguard). The drawback to those is that they're quite bulky, they're really hot and after a few months of riding they wouldn't really stay in place that well.