time for a new pack

Dec. 26, 2016, 1:01 p.m.

EVOC packs are awesome… they have separate packs sized for your height which makes them super versatile and comfortable…. I have 2 and they are my go to pack now. And they have a size for riders well past 6'… I am 6'1" and wear the M/L so the XL should fit you giants just fine…

Dec. 26, 2016, 8:24 p.m.

I retired my Dakine Nomad at the beginning of last season and replaced it with a Dakine Amp. The new pack is great and I've been liking it more than the Nomad. It's a bit smaller so not as cumbersome for rides, but can still pack all my gear. And has a mesh panel on the back that the keeps the pack off your back, so keeps your back cooler on rides. Worth a look too.

Dec. 28, 2016, 5:55 p.m.

EVOC packs are awesome… they have separate packs sized for your height which makes them super versatile and comfortable…. I have 2 and they are my go to pack now. And they have a size for riders well past 6'… I am 6'1" and wear the M/L so the XL should fit you giants just fine…

Looked at them for the first time and they look great. Holy c-rap they're expensive though!

Dec. 29, 2016, 6:12 a.m.

Looked at them for the first time and they look great. Holy c-rap they're expensive though!

Expensive, yes, but even basic Camelbak packs now are pushing $200… and a good pack is one of the best investments you can make in personal comfort, so probably justified?

Dec. 29, 2016, 9:15 a.m.

I have been riding an EVOC for at least 5 years now…it's just now starting to show it's age…amazing pack! Looking to replace it soon though, may just end up getting another.

Dec. 29, 2016, 10:33 a.m.

I got a PLATYPUS DUTHIE A.M. 10.0 earlier this summer. It's been great.

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5046-142/Duthie-A-M-10-0-Hydration-Pack

Consider going to MEC (or another LBS with large selection) and just trying on every pack they have, then look for the pack that has the most features that you like if the perfect pack isn't available.

Asking NSMB is great, but until you try on a bunch of packs, how will you know what __you__ really like.

"I know that heroes ride bicycles" - Joe Biden

Jan. 1, 2017, 8:56 a.m.

Another vote for Evoc, I got the FR Tour for when the ride is a little longer and I want to carry stuff like a rainjacket etc.

They are expensive, yes - but well-thought out details, good/high quality construction and the various sizes are just great, the rather large waistbelt just adds comfort and a feeling of security than all these small and tiny ones on other packs, and a removable back protector is just another bonus. It might get a little warm on really hot days though.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Jan. 24, 2017, 9:59 p.m.

The evocs are gold plated beauties. I however returned my evoc fr 22 l
It was way too big for me.
I went with osprey zealot 15 L it turned out to be the right choice , perfect shore pack , great room and features for less money.
I am even using for boarding now which it work well for too.

Jan. 24, 2017, 10:01 p.m.

Asking NSMB is great, but until you try on a bunch of packs, how will you know what __you__ really like.

nonsense.

if nsmb tells you what's great then that's what you use - end of story.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Jan. 25, 2017, 9:27 a.m.

USWE Patriot or Airborne , either or in the 9L.
These fit amazing well, even when 100% full with 3L of water, tools, tube, snacks and phone it still isn't awkward at all. Its a comfortable pack and not hot on long summer days.

Jan. 26, 2017, 7:25 a.m.

I retired my Dakine Nomad at the beginning of last season and replaced it with a Dakine Amp. The new pack is great and I've been liking it more than the Nomad. It's a bit smaller so not as cumbersome for rides, but can still pack all my gear. And has a mesh panel on the back that the keeps the pack off your back, so keeps your back cooler on rides. Worth a look too.

I have an AMp with the mesh back but the tensioing system for suspended back panel failed and I got had to get it warrantied . Great packs for hot weather riding. However the rated volume is not accurate dues to the rigid panel. I loved it on hot days though. The osprey zealot 15L is what I switched to handing off the my amp pack to my wife. The osprey is a far better pack, separate roll up tool pouch that sits at the botton for low CG. Very much more secure and comfortable , pockets on the waist belt and a million ways to strap riding gear.
And machine washable too.

Jan. 26, 2017, 9:47 a.m.

USWE Patriot or Airborne , either or in the 9L.
These fit amazing well, even when 100% full with 3L of water, tools, tube, snacks and phone it still isn't awkward at all. Its a comfortable pack and not hot on long summer days.

Any place to see USWE packs locally?

Jan. 26, 2017, 10:48 a.m.

^ Any shop that has a NRG account can get you one. Will they is an entirely different question.

USWE packs have the huge advantage of set it and forget it harness straps. I run mine as tight as they'll go and just unbuckle for the uphill if I'm feeling restricted. Even unbuckled it moves around less than any other pack.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Jan. 29, 2017, 6 p.m.

I have an Osprey Raptor 10, it's perfect.

Jan. 31, 2017, 11:56 a.m.

Mec has this one that caught my eye…good price for a nice looking pack.
https://www.platy.com/ca/catalog/product/view/id/16779/s/duthie-am-10-hydration-pack/category/43/