time for a new pack

Dec. 24, 2016, 10:34 a.m.

I really wish companies would start making packs for taller riders. I don't like wearing a pack in the first place so I only wear them on longer rides. Just about every pack on the market makes me look like I'm wearing a kids backpack. Might as well throw an Iron Man picture on the back of it!

Dec. 24, 2016, 11:15 a.m.

Uswe. Not even close. Once you try one you'll be wondering why you didn't do it sooner. Their strap system is light years ahead of whatever else is available on the market. It doesn't move and you eventually forget that you have a pack on. No joke.

http://www.uswe-sports.com/products/hydration-packs/bike

This.

I had a Dakine Nomad for years (eight or so since I started ridding again as an adult.) After an extensive search I settled for a new pack.

This summer I had my LBS order up a USWE Airborne 15 in Black from NRG. First ride it took a few minutes to get used to the harness straps and after that it was on. One sternum click button to fasten and release the pack. The pack has a set it and forget it straps as part of the "No-Dancing-Monkey" system which requires a lil prefitting before hand. The reason is the straps have some stretch sections of straps and the heavy duty velcro that allows one to get the ultimate fit. Afterwards it's throw it on and perfect fit every time. I'll often do extended climbs with the sternum clip undone and the pack stays where it should. The pack sits high up on my back (doesn't extend as low as the Nomad) yet doesn't interfere with my D3 or A1 helmets. In the past I had issue with the Nomad flopping around and knocking the retention web open on my POC Trabec or the top handle looping around the retention dial on my A1. Hasn't happened yet with the Airborne 15. The bladder system I thought was going to be switched with a Camelbak but hasn't been the case yet. If anything I may switch to the CB bite valve.

The back panel and venting feels really light and flimsy compared to other packs. The venting channels aren't super high tech compared to other packs out now but still an improvement from the Nomad. I now have to place items (phone, keys, wallet) in different pockets than my Nomad :lol:)

I likely would've went with the Patriot 15 w/back protector in Black if it was available at the time. And I should get a tool roll for my pack as well.

Other packs I considered:
ACRE Supply 15L (I'll likely get one for bigger days, shitty weather, riding to work, NOT using at WBP)
Osprey Raptor 15
Deuter pack

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Dec. 24, 2016, 11:31 a.m.

For our 75l and 85l packs we have Osprey and I was amazed this year with how awesome their warranty was. On one of them the frame was starting to tear through the nylon. That pack was 10 years old and had been all over Europe and Asia. It owed no one anything but they sent us a replacement and they warrantied the other for another reason. They replaced both of our packs for free. So IMHO for customer service and warranty Osprey is tops.

Dec. 24, 2016, 12:33 p.m.

I picked one of these up before a big Chilcotin ride this past summer. It replaced a Dakine Nomad. I bought this just for big days and multi day trips as I ride without a pack for the majority of the time.

Although more expensive than the packs I've purchased in the past, it's worth every penny. The features, build quality and fit are amazing. The large waist belt helps with heavy loads, I use it for carrying my saw on building days too. The back protector is a nice feature too.

Dec. 24, 2016, 5:16 p.m.

Thanks everyone - some good suggestions.

The deuter and uswe both look like solid options, along with the evoc.

I like the sound of the fit and feel of the uswe, though I'm not sure it's large enough for longer rides. Punky - does it have a greater carrying capacity than the nomad? I found the nomad was packed to its limits on epic days when extra layers and food needed to be carried.

Dec. 24, 2016, 7:54 p.m.

I bought the new Camelbak Skyline in the spring and it's been great.

10L so it's big.

It's a low mount and super comfortable. I carry a bunch of stuff in it and its weight is not noticeable. Big hydration bladder with a hose disconnect for easy filling. Pockets in the belt. Felt pocket for phone. Straps for pads when youre not wearing them, a simple helmet clip that works great for the long climbs. It's awesome!

Dec. 24, 2016, 8:09 p.m.

I started using an EVOC FR Enduro 16-litre pack recently. It's wider and longer than previous packs I have used, but it sits much closer to your back and the wide hip belt is very comfortable and does a good job of transferring most of the load to your hips. The tool storage system and back protector are very nice features. I don't even notice that I am wearing it most of the time. My only concern is that it might be a bit warm in the summer time.

Dec. 24, 2016, 9:06 p.m.

I really wanted to like the Deuter. Suspension system is awesome and buses great air flow. Light with plenty of room. But the damn thing just loves to slide up my back and hit the back of my helmet on any steep.

Gave it to my wife, trying the Osprey now..

YMMV

Dec. 25, 2016, 12:30 p.m.

I really wish companies would start making packs for taller riders. I don't like wearing a pack in the first place so I only wear them on longer rides. Just about every pack on the market makes me look like I'm wearing a kids backpack. Might as well throw an Iron Man picture on the back of it!

Being 6'6" I have the same complaint, most packs being one-size-fits-most (i.e. not me) meaning that the 'waist' strap goes around my ribs.

For 4 seasons I've run an Osprey Raptor 14. It's like 20" long and fits me well. There are more minimal packs out there that never seem to fit as well or weigh much less. It straps down when travelling light and expands just enough when required. It has a way of just staying put. Osprey quality makes a lot of other brands look cheap and unrefined.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Dec. 25, 2016, 12:59 p.m.

I really wanted to like the Deuter. Suspension system is awesome and buses great air flow. Light with plenty of room. But the damn thing just loves to slide up my back and hit the back of my helmet on any steep.

Gave it to my wife, trying the Osprey now..

YMMV

sounds like you need something like this get-up

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Dec. 25, 2016, 1:54 p.m.

10L so it's big.

It's a low mount and super comfortable. I carry a bunch of stuff in it and its weight is not noticeable. Big hydration bladder with a hose disconnect for easy filling. Pockets in the belt. Felt pocket for phone. Straps for pads when youre not wearing them, a simple helmet clip that works great for the long climbs. It's awesome!

I have one of these and really like it. I like how the bladder/pack sits really low. It's a medium sized pack though… good for lengthy rides but maybe not big enough for an "epic" ride where you need to bring a lot of extra supplies.

Dec. 25, 2016, 2:42 p.m.

i'm fussy about packs and hard to please so here's my 2 cents. i prefer a pack with some organizational compartments but with a main compartment for easy storage of larger stuff like a jacket. everyone universally loves the Osprey Raptor series but i have a love hate with my 14. too complex, too many compartments, too heavy. great bladder. great quality. small main bag hole due to all the hyper design. looked closely at the latest evocs at the LBS and they looked very good. big main bag hole, smoother zippers than my osprey, techy back panel for air flow. not exactly an experienced take, but it looked like it addressed many of my beefs with the raptor 14 (which does carry very well)

I find the weight to be reasonable - the Raptor is around 700g - comparable Evocs aren't much lighter. There are smaller less featured packs from other companies that weigh the same or more. If packs are going to weigh the same they may as well have features and fit well. I can always opt to carry less stuff, less water and strap it down.

There are a bunch of weird compartments on the Raptor that I never use. The main compartment is a weird shape that you only notice when you're really trying to pack a lot of extra stuff (i.e. a Chilcotins day with first aid, camera, lots of real food and clothes) - though as a daily driver this isn't really an issue.

I got a Camelbak Palos fanny pack for smaller days. It hold 1.5L of water but I find it works best if you run 1L or less. Just big enough to carry your phone, keys, tube, pump, tool, snack.

Dec. 25, 2016, 2:46 p.m.

10L so it's big.

I looked at this to replace my Osprey but it weighs a lot more (980g vs 730g). It's also designed around a 16" torso, which is a lot shorter than the Raptor's 20".

Dec. 25, 2016, 5:19 p.m.

Thanks everyone - some good suggestions.

The deuter and uswe both look like solid options, along with the evoc.

I like the sound of the fit and feel of the uswe, though I'm not sure it's large enough for longer rides. Punky - does it have a greater carrying capacity than the nomad? I found the nomad was packed to its limits on epic days when extra layers and food needed to be carried.

Difficult one to answer, probably close or slightly less than the Nomad but loads better. I found the Nomad, like many packs have a lot of useless pockets; side pockets or waist belt pockets that I never used.

sounds like you need something like this get-up

That's the USWE pack then. ;)

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Dec. 26, 2016, 6:52 a.m.

I went from a dakine amp to Osprey Zealot 15L . The osprey is simply perfect. A roll out tool pouch sits low on the bottom in its own compartment. Bright green interior makes it easy to find stuff.Many options for mounting armour and helmets. Fits enough gear for an epic all day day ride. So very confortable and breathes nicely on hot days. I have been using it as a snowboard pack too. 5*