time for a new pack

Dec. 23, 2016, 9:07 p.m.

I'm looking to finally replace my old dakine nomad and I'm looking for advice. I've been overdue for some time, but seeing as how I rarely ride with a pack on typical shore rides and park days, I've put it off for as long as I can. Still, I use one for longer Squamish days, and for road trips - long days riding in Nelson, Chilcotins, etc.

I'm looking for something large enough for an epic day ride, but not too big, heavy, or cumbersome. Probably something slightly larger than my old nomad.

I've looked at the evoc roamer and osprey syncro, but I'm open to all suggestions.

Thanks.

Dec. 23, 2016, 9:16 p.m.

i'm fussy about packs and hard to please so here's my 2 cents. i prefer a pack with some organizational compartments but with a main compartment for easy storage of larger stuff like a jacket. everyone universally loves the Osprey Raptor series but i have a love hate with my 14. too complex, too many compartments, too heavy. great bladder. great quality. small main bag hole due to all the hyper design. looked closely at the latest evocs at the LBS and they looked very good. big main bag hole, smoother zippers than my osprey, techy back panel for air flow. not exactly an experienced take, but it looked like it addressed many of my beefs with the raptor 14 (which does carry very well)

Dec. 23, 2016, 9:33 p.m.

http://www.deuter.com/DE/en/bike/trans-alpine-30-32223.html

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Dec. 23, 2016, 9:59 p.m.

I look for a pack that is wide and less deep than many of the offerings available now. Much more stable. I didn't get along with the shape of the Raptor bags. I like the Acre Hauser 14 litre bag. Works well for me.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Dec. 24, 2016, 1:53 a.m.

http://www.deuter.com/DE/en/bike/trans-alpine-30-32223.html

That pack looks like it would be awesome.

I didn't see a price.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Dec. 24, 2016, 6:44 a.m.

Camelbak Kudu 18 works great for me, fit is a lot better than on my Evocs.
The dual chest strap really works for me.
And it has a good back protector, yet still lets my back breathe a bit. Good stuff.

That said, Deuter are really, really good. If they came in flashier colors, that'd be lovely.
Still, they are extremely durable and well made.

JBV has a point, some overengineered packs are great for product presentations and feature biased reviews, but if your riding buddy wants to borrow your multitool for a second and you need to answer:
"Sure thing, just open the fourth zipper from top left, inside you'll find another plethora of zippers and an oddly shaped tool-roll, which doesn't contain the mutlitool actually, because it's electric can opener doesn't actually fit, so I keep it in the refrigerated Mini-Disc-Player pocket, which is made of see-through netting and rips at mere eye-contact."
Or you try to carry an apple and the only compartment attaches it more or less directly to your vertebrae, once you're in riding position.

Dec. 24, 2016, 7:13 a.m.

+1 for Deuter. Are they still sold at MEC?

Dec. 24, 2016, 8:20 a.m.

Yes MEC does carry Deuter.

I don't have a catalog here at home but I am pretty sure there are some updates to the Deuter bike backs coming for Spring. Nothing revolutionary but some changes.

Dec. 24, 2016, 8:21 a.m.

Uswe. Not even close. Once you try one you'll be wondering why you didn't do it sooner. Their strap system is light years ahead of whatever else is available on the market. It doesn't move and you eventually forget that you have a pack on. No joke.

http://www.uswe-sports.com/products/hydration-packs/bike

Dec. 24, 2016, 8:37 a.m.

Uswe. Not even close. Once you try one you'll be wondering why you didn't do it sooner. Their strap system is light years ahead of whatever else is available on the market. It doesn't move and you eventually forget that you have a pack on. No joke.

Have to agree that the "No More Dancing Monkey" harness system is very well thought out. I haven't ridden the packs off-road but when I tried them on at Interbike I was genuinely impressed.

I have a Mission/Acre pack (gift from my awesome wife a couple-or-few years back) and it's been awesome. As waterproof as they come, super durable, intelligent use of space and I like the roll top (or fold top) main compartment. It's very adjustable with multiple strap mounting points. Made in the US so not cheap.

I've owned/tried a lot of packs and I'm really happy with it. I recommend it to anyone.

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

Dec. 24, 2016, 8:41 a.m.

I look for a pack that is wide and less deep than many of the offerings available now. Much more stable. I didn't get along with the shape of the Raptor bags. I like the Acre Hauser 14 litre bag. Works well for me.

I have the Hauser as well. Excellent bag. I think it really only needed one improvement: hooks/clasps sewn into the pockets. Otherwise, Best pack I've ever used.

Dec. 24, 2016, 8:58 a.m.

this is definitely where I'm looking for my next pack. After going packless for a couple of years I sure grew a dislike for packs the times I used them on longer rides.

Dec. 24, 2016, 9:18 a.m.

And another good thing about uswe is they make really small packs too, for when you don't feel like wearing something that resembles an airplane carry-on. Check out their moto line. Super slim packs for shorter rides.

Dec. 24, 2016, 9:45 a.m.

these look good. and rare. where does one find these guys?

Dec. 24, 2016, 10:31 a.m.

Either direct from them, CRC, or NRG now distributes them so any shop can get them.