ti springs

March 24, 2007, 1:21 p.m.

anybody know if the RCS coils would fit a DHX shock? I've heard that they may have too wide a diameter, true?

March 24, 2007, 1:50 p.m.

I have an RCS on my DHX (Demo and SX).

:canada:

March 24, 2007, 2:49 p.m.

I'm running a 350lb manitou coil (I've heard there just relabeled RCS's) and have a ton of clearance on my dhx. I think I paid 299 for mine.

March 24, 2007, 3:12 p.m.

Given that you can often pick up a ti spring for 150 ish in the buy and sell (or 225 new at On Top - now THATS a deal), i dont think that there is any better way to save money off your bike. You see, we dont know you - telling you that you should ditch the Deity cranks might not work if you weigh 250 or routinely come up short on gaps. Any of the other "weight saving" methods follow the same logic. Saying that you dont want to spend all your time truing a set of wheels suggests that you "may" not be the ideal candidate for weight shaving.
However, as long as it is the correct fit for your bike, a Ti spring has zero effect on the strength of your VITAL components such as wheels, bars etc. You dont sacrifice strength for weight - which is almost always the choice when "upgrading" your bike. A Ti spring is just as tough as a steel one (tougher really) so it is a no worries upgrade.

March 24, 2007, 3:17 p.m.

remember with Ti, you'll need to run a 50 lb heavier spring.

March 24, 2007, 4:03 p.m.

remember with Ti, you'll need to run a 50 lb heavier spring.

Should be able to use the same weight as the weight has nothing to do with material and only determined by the force required to compress the spring. I got mine in the correct weight and it's fine.

March 24, 2007, 5:12 p.m.

I saved a full pound by converting from DH tubes, to Stan's Notubes.
You can use your existing tires and wheels. I have been running this system for over a year, including 15 days at Whistler, and have had NO flats of any kind. I will never run tubes in anything again. It also reduces rolling resistance. Bit of a pain to mount the tire and seal it the first couple of times, but it is easy once you get the hang of it.

Sometimes, I fall down.

March 24, 2007, 6:37 p.m.

Should be able to use the same weight as the weight has nothing to do with material and only determined by the force required to compress the spring. I got mine in the correct weight and it's fine.

for my bikes, I've had to add 50lb to the spring weight (for the Ti) to make it compress the same.

March 24, 2007, 6:42 p.m.

does anyone have an exact figure on the weight savings with a Ti coil? I'm curious as I always thought it was a full lb of weight lost, but it sounds like it's more like half a lb?

March 24, 2007, 9 p.m.

thanks for the comments guys, a new wheelset was definately first on my list, sincros ds28 looks like it would be perfect, but chances are ill have to true it and it will be high maintnace,

for cranks, i was looking at the raceface evolve xc cranks, my friend has em, their mega light and seem to be holding up to their fare share of abuse

i was thinking about going for a road cassette because they seem to be a considerable amount lighter than all mtb ones, and im not planning on doing any extreme climbs with it, and does anyone know if those hollowpin chains are any good?

for bar/stem, does anyone know anything about those fsa dh carbon bars? they seem pretty sweet but i dont know if they are trustworthy, and the thompson x4 stem is light and looks sweet,

seatpost definately could be changed that easton 1, but i dunno if im willing to sacrifice comfort and pinchablility on the seat… are there any dirtjump style ones with ti rails?

I don't get this, you are worrying about truing your wheels frequently but you would be happy to ride (cheapish) cross-country cranks?? And carbon fibre bars? Either you ride light or you dont. If you ride light then get a new wheelset like was suggested. Oh and don't bother with hollowpin chains, the weight savings is not big at all and snapping a chain (when you are laying down some power) sucks.

22 Pride

March 25, 2007, 12:44 a.m.

I don't get this, you are worrying about truing your wheels frequently but you would be happy to ride (cheapish) cross-country cranks?? And carbon fibre bars? Either you ride light or you dont. If you ride light then get a new wheelset like was suggested. Oh and don't bother with hollowpin chains, the weight savings is not big at all and snapping a chain (when you are laying down some power) sucks.

for some reason snapping cranks has never been an issue for me, i really dont see how people can do it lol, am wheels seem alot more flimsy than xc cranks

March 25, 2007, 9:37 a.m.

you can bend those raceface xc cranks riding up a hill if you weigh more than 150…not the best idea on saving weight.

- bike sexual

March 25, 2007, 12:16 p.m.

you can bend those raceface xc cranks riding up a hill if you weigh more than 150…not the best idea on saving weight.

my friend has beat the hell outa them at whistler and done larger than 15 foot drops… and their still fine, bottom bracket doesnt even creak

March 25, 2007, 12:23 p.m.

haha uhh alright, i bent mine going up a steep hill to my house first ride. and the second set bent on a midtravel xcish bike on a trail with a series moderate step downs…but they are xc parts they are gonna die sooner than later.

- bike sexual