The wet boys poll

Sept. 21, 2006, 3:12 p.m.

Look at the riding you are going to do. If you are riding shore, it's never super fast, and the mud isn't too prevalant (too many roots and rocks). I ran a comp 32 up front for a long time (lasted forever),not the soft compound, and it was awesome in all conditions, but it was really heavy. In the back, for shore riding I haven't been too picky, I like a tyre to last.

Sept. 21, 2006, 3:13 p.m.

I've had good luck with racing HR's in the mud. You know how good/bad a tire is when you're taking off camber muddy corners at speed. And Kamloops mud is literaly like ice, much slipery than the NS. The HR's are holding up fine.

see that's just not relevant on the shore/whislter.

the rollers downfall is on slipperly rocks and roots … NOT on dirt on mud. and you know that we have a few roots and rocks on the shore/whistler ;)

Sept. 21, 2006, 3:14 p.m.

I see a few types of Nevegal 's ..

Downhill model w/ Sticky E 60 tpi casing
Downhill model w/ DTC 120tpi casing
FR model w/ Sticky E

I'm guess most of you who are running them are using the DH DTC one ?

yeah, get the DH casing. not to sure on 60 vs 120 tho … i usally buy whatever is in stock …

Sept. 21, 2006, 3:22 p.m.

see that's just not relevant on the shore/whislter.

the rollers downfall is on slipperly rocks and roots … NOT on dirt on mud. and you know that we have a few roots and rocks on the shore/whistler ;)

Only when you hit the gold. ;)

Sept. 21, 2006, 3:25 p.m.

Need to call more shops.

$70 seems to be the average price around here.

I'm heading back up to Whistler this wknd.

Bluegroove's on sale for 40% off at Fanatyko .. a pair comes out to $90 with tax.

But I've read/searched that the bluegroove's are not as good as the nevegal's in wet. Is this true ?

… good.. bad.. I'm the guy with the gun.

Sept. 21, 2006, 3:32 p.m.

i still prefer the minion st over any michi product…… as long as the minion st isnt a fully cured "on sale for cheap" minion. fresh is best.

Sept. 21, 2006, 3:36 p.m.

i still prefer the minion st over any michi product…… as long as the minion st isnt a fully cured "on sale for cheap" minion. fresh is best.

What do you mean by fully cured on sale for cheap ?

I've been calling around and most of the shops in Whistler have 20-50% off their tires now. Good or bad ?

Sept. 21, 2006, 3:45 p.m.

What do you mean by fully cured on sale for cheap ?

I've been calling around and most of the shops in Whistler have 20-50% off their tires now. Good or bad ?

super tacky or soft compound tires will harden over time, thats why you see these blowout prices on tires every once in while. your purchasing a 40d compound when in fact it has hardened to a 50(or higher) and will continue to harden.

Sept. 21, 2006, 3:51 p.m.

So when would be the best time to buy tires for riding in the winter ?

I figured the sales were just because it's near end season.

Sept. 21, 2006, 3:58 p.m.

Need to call more shops.

$70 seems to be the average price around here.

I'm heading back up to Whistler this wknd.

Bluegroove's on sale for 40% off at Fanatyko .. a pair comes out to $90 with tax.

But I've read/searched that the bluegroove's are not as good as the nevegal's in wet. Is this true ?

You should be able to find the Nevegal's for closer to $50 per. I've never paid more than that, maybe bought 6 total in the last two years. Last place I got them was Sport Junkies for $50 per. Sorry though, like Giggler I just buy what's in stock, not sure which model Sport Junkies had.

Sept. 21, 2006, 4 p.m.

So when would be the best time to buy tires for riding in the winter ?

just be careful at this time of the year and feel the tire thoroughly first and make sure it is consistent.
i beleive the age of the rubber is one reason why there are so many mixed reviews on one specific tire.

Sept. 21, 2006, 4:06 p.m.

super tacky or soft compound tires will harden over time, thats why you see these blowout prices on tires every once in while. your purchasing a 40d compound when in fact it has hardened to a 50(or higher) and will continue to harden.

wow, I didn't know that. So theoretically, as the tires wear out the rubber also hardens. Hmmm

I wonder if they would last longer in winter conditions. I know this is a lame comparison but whenever I finish a wet ride my ODI grips are insanely soft and sticky. My gloves peel off them. Clearly the wet conditions soften up the rubber. i wonder if this could apply to sticky tires as well?

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Sept. 21, 2006, 4:13 p.m.

I'd think that the cold would harden them. Opposite ?

Sept. 21, 2006, 5:03 p.m.

If you're talking about the sales in Whistler, you'd be correct. Every single bike store here is either a bike store secondary and a ski/snowboard shop primarily or they only operate in the summer while they sublet their space from a winter only retail operation. As a result, they all want to dump all their bike gear between now and Thanksgiving weekend.

Sept. 21, 2006, 5:03 p.m.

Comp 16 front and rear for wet [HTML_REMOVED] muddy. The best wet tire by far. A ST High Roller is okay too but once it starts to wear, then you may as well replace it.

Whatever you get, make sure its on the narrow side, like a 2.2 to 2.5". Wide tires suck in mud, like the Comp 32, that has to be one of the worst mud tires - great on rocks, too floaty in mud.

Remember that a wet tire should have a soft, small, and aggressive tread pattern for it to work great.

AGREED…

there is no finer WET condition tire then teh Comp16…

the Kenda nevegal is ok for awhile but once u get soem tire wear the traction ability of the tire drops off.. i suspect its a dual compound tread design and as the outer rubber wears away it exposes a less grippy harder rubber..