The suspension linkage thread!

July 17, 2009, 10:08 a.m.

well due to 2 shocks it has another degree of freedom going on, but esentially if it acted exactly as it does in the demonstration (which it is unlikely to do) then it is a single pivot bike with low pivot on small bumps, the becomes a high pivot single pivot.

However, I suspect the the shocks both work at the same time sometimes, which would give you a variable axle path.

A variable axle path is good thing to have, as the wheel can react differently according to the direction of impact (act like a high pivot bike on square edge hits, and a low pivot bike on landing impacts). But you pay for this with the extra complexity, cost and weight of having 2 shocks.

I have heard good things about 2 stage bikes and how they ride tho.

What ever happened to the original Cannondale Gemini with the two shocks?

July 17, 2009, 11:10 a.m.

It looks like the 2nd shock takes over after a certain amount of travel. I would think that the ideal setup would be a 1st shock that works throughout the travel of the 2nd shock, working in conjunction to smooth out smaller bumps. For example, you ride hard into a long berm, compressing the suspension a fair bit. Whilst in the berm, the 2nd shock is active, but the 1st shock should be also active and taking the edge of the smaller bumps in the berm.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Sept. 24, 2009, 10:12 p.m.

best system i ride between demo8 horst link, intense m3 vpp, cannondale judge single point, cove std parallel link.

1. cove std
2. cannondale judge
3. demo8
4. Intense M3

Nov. 25, 2009, 3:01 a.m.

It looks like the 2nd shock takes over after a certain amount of travel. I would think that the ideal setup would be a 1st shock that works throughout the travel of the 2nd shock, working in conjunction to smooth out smaller bumps. For example, you ride hard into a long berm, compressing the suspension a fair bit. Whilst in the berm, the 2nd shock is active, but the 1st shock should be also active and taking the edge of the smaller bumps in the berm.

That would be nice….but impossible to do.
The shock that takes the G's and allows you to "Rail" the berm would be stiff, causing you to have a shitty top stroke your whole ride except for that situation.
And then the second shock for small bumps would be stiff, or just bottom out…
That is unless you had some gnar hi-lo compression setup going…but I'll stick to single-pivot bikes for now. :fro:

Nov. 25, 2009, 7:33 a.m.

best system i ride between demo8 horst link, intense m3 vpp, cannondale judge single point, cove std parallel link.

1. cove std
2. cannondale judge
3. demo8
4. Intense M3

I have ridden a Judge and would agree that it works very well. It accelerates like a rocket ship yet is very compliant under the first bit of travel. The Cannnondale Moto is similar - very stable, sprints well, but the rear wheel is super active.

Gotta love single pivots with linkage driven shocks. In general I find this to be the best overall package.

June 9, 2010, 2:33 a.m.

Hey guys

A long time ago, I started to outline some of my own ideas of suspensions. Recently, I decided to get into that stuff more serious and I started to develope my own frame designs on ''Linkage'' but it's kind of hard to find out, what makes a frame ''good''. So I was wondering if there is any literatur about suspension/linkage to learn more about paramaters such as anti-squat, lev ratio, pedal kickback and so on. I started to compare different models and it helps a lot but I would prefer some more basic informations, how the different parameters affect the feel of a frame.

Aug. 10, 2010, 3:39 p.m.

any beta on where i can find some 6" travel links for my old 5" travel stinky [2002?]. i know dangerboy made them but i thought i heard theyre not around anymore. i was hoping to find used and cheap. surprise surprise