The Shank Thread

Jan. 5, 2012, 8:55 p.m.

^How do you like your Mystery Ranch pack?

It is the best pack I have ever had!

Mine is the Longbow. The quality is awesome and it is very comfortable. I've had 70lbs in it with no issues.

>>---------> (x)
My flickr

Jan. 5, 2012, 9:07 p.m.

seems like the place to ask….sharpening knives, kitchen knives to be exact. Whats a decent system or type of stone(s) to get the job done. I could google, but seems like there might be a few people in the know in this thread….plus the thread could get derailled into a arguement about fracking.

A Spyderco Sharpmaker is easy to use and will get good results. The Work Sharp knife and tool sharpener is nice if you need to do any reprofiling.

For super cheap and fairly easy, sandpaper and a mousepad is probably the best. Check youtube for videos on this.

>>---------> (x)
My flickr

Jan. 5, 2012, 11:18 p.m.

A Spyderco Sharpmaker is easy to use and will get good results. The Work Sharp knife and tool sharpener is nice if you need to do any reprofiling.

For super cheap and fairly easy, sandpaper and a mousepad is probably the best. Check youtube for videos on this.

+1 for the Spyderco Sharpmaker, anybody can put a high quality edge on a knife with that thing as long as the edge bevel is 40 degrees (20 per side) or less. It also comes with a really good DVD on how to use it under many functions.

Jan. 5, 2012, 11:22 p.m.

So I've been carrying a victorinox hercules backpacking for years.

Realized recently that I almost only ever use it for cutting cheese and rope, and that maybe a smaller, lighter single-blade folder would be the ticket.

So my question is, what's the lightest little knife that still gets the job done. I don't want a tiny keychain unit, so let's be reasonable. Any suggestions? I've got some MEC credit, so maybe from there?

Thanks

Try one of these

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/HikingCamping/KnivesTools/SingleBladeKnives/PRD~5023-341/opinel-gardening-8-stainless-steel-knife.jsp

They are cheap and light weight. Also easy to keep sharp. The stainless will be nice because you wont have to keep it oiled. They also have a locking mechanism which is very simple but effective.

I've also carried one of these in my pocket almost everyday for a year now and it is amazing. Ive abused the shit out if it and its still just as good as it was new, just a little scuffed here and there. Victorinox can openers are also arguably the best on the market. A cheaper just as effective version of the Cadet is the Driver, I actually think its more capable with the tweezers and I like the extra blade instead of the nail file. It is slightly bulkier due to the plastic red scales but its still a champ. You can score it for 9.99 at Canadian Tire usually once every two months or so.

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/HikingCamping/KnivesTools/MultiBladeKnives/PRD~4008-005/victorinox-driver-knife.jsp

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/HikingCamping/KnivesTools/MultiBladeKnives/PRD~4013-898/victorinox-cadet-knife.jsp

Jan. 6, 2012, 12:16 a.m.

+1 for the Spyderco Sharpmaker, anybody can put a high quality edge on a knife with that thing as long as the edge bevel is 40 degrees (20 per side) or less. It also comes with a really good DVD on how to use it under many functions.

Agreed. I have this system and it works great. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
— Sigmund Freud

:canada: :usa:

Jan. 6, 2012, 12:42 p.m.

+1 on the Opinel.
-1 on the sharpening jig, (learning how to sharpen freehand has given me better results, although these jigs do help you learn).

As for sharpening, it depends a lot on what kind of steel you're dealing with. A high carbon, non stainless blade can generally be brought to razor sharp with a cinder block or almost anything abrasive, a high carbon, high hardness stainless or tool steel blade blade often can't be sharpened with anything less than a diamond coated sharpener. Curvature of the edge is another consideration as well; if curvy, a crock stick is the way to go.

but here are my favourites-
for restoring dulled edges quickly, (fine/coarse);
http://www.dmtsharp.com/sharpeners/folding-models/double-sided-diafold/

for polishing/maintaining a fine edge;
http://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=95

for completely reprofiling bevels;
http://lansky.com/index.php/products/dlx-5-stone-system/

Maintaining your sharpener is important. For stones, always use enough oil/spit/water to create a slurry when sharpening. This keeps the fines from filling the pores in your whet stone. You can also use something like Simple Green as both a cleaner, or as the lubricant/fines seperator.
For ceramic hones, you can use them dry but have to clean them as soon as they stop cutting. For this, a powdered cleaner with just enough water to make it pasty does a pretty good job. I usually use Comet or something similar.
For diamond hones, it helps to use either water or Simple Green to seperate the fines, however they can be used dry as well as long as you clean them in the same way as you'd clean the ceramic.

Jan. 6, 2012, 1:06 p.m.

Whats a decent system or type of stone(s) to get the job done.

Stones are all you need.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Jan. 6, 2012, 2:45 p.m.

Stones are all you need.

the same could be said for mountain biking.

Jan. 21, 2012, 8:43 p.m.

Thought I would post mine. I have nothing special and I'm jealous of some of the very sexy blades but here's mine.

:england:

March 4, 2012, 12:34 a.m.

The knifes you would find between 4 people…

March 4, 2012, 3:50 a.m.

The knifes you would find between 4 people…

And the things found in their cars,

March 5, 2012, 11:22 a.m.

apparently Wade doesn't just huck bikes, he hucks knives too;
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Ultramontane-No-04-2012.html
(scroll past the first vid)

March 12, 2012, 11 p.m.

Got hooked up by my best Gnomie for my birthday.

This is a custom hand made folder by John W Smith… a master knifemaker.

Titanium folder, red cardon handle with a liner lock, S30V blade.

Awesome knife! I feel very spoiled.

March 14, 2012, 6:25 p.m.

i picked up a 4-1/4" laminated steel frost mora knife blank last week then grabbed some tools and a block of cedar.

first carved hard case and a handle from the cedar and wrapped it in 550 para cord.

then using that handle on the knife i carved a hardwood handle.(oak and mahogany i think, i got it out of a pile of cut offs so im not to sure)

its all held together with a barrel nut i drilled and taped from 5/16" bar stock and a chain guide bolt and an avid CPS washer.

and i ended up nice big bag of kindling.

March 15, 2012, 10:15 a.m.

very crafty! Nice work!