The Shank Thread

July 1, 2015, 5:45 p.m.

Shank!

July 1, 2015, 8:11 p.m.

White guys carry that for personal protection where you live or what?

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

July 1, 2015, 8:28 p.m.

White guys carry that for personal protection where you live or what?

got my bases covered….coming soon to a first world near you!

I have a bad feeling about this fall….

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bANlFuNOOyQ

July 2, 2015, 10:10 a.m.

It's for banana tree's actually, good reach ;)

Sept. 13, 2015, 6:43 a.m.

Here are the images I promised a few weeks ago.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Jan. 5, 2016, 7:19 a.m.

I just picked up a Cold Steel Recon 1 tanto.

I like it. A lot.

The best things in life all start with the letter B
Hooray for: Bacon, Bikeys, Boobies, Boards, and Beer!

Jan. 5, 2016, 8:33 a.m.

Looks nice.

I always think about getting obe of those knives, but somehow I always get those who look a little "old fashioned".

Hmmm…..maybe it us time to change that.

- Kristen Ulmer

Jan. 7, 2016, 10:41 p.m.

doesn't really count but this large Silky folding saw, 'Big Boy 2000 xl' came from santa. too heavy to ride in the pack regularly but a trail maintenance and camp saw beast. incredible cutting ability. cleared some downed trees on local trails over the holiday for fun.

Feb. 6, 2016, 6:15 a.m.

A few days ago myself and a couple friends were shuttling the local DH trails.

I was a bit in front, came bombing around a corner, and came up on a couple huge feral boars. My brakes startled them. They were looking at me, didn't charge, but didn't take off either.
A woman hiking was killed by boars a couple weeks ago not far from this area, all I could think of was "Shit, I'm going to have to fight a couple boars barehanded." Looked around for a log or stick…

My buddies caught up, and to their right was 3 more fucking huge boars running along the ridgeline. Those 3 met up with the first 2, and they all took off down the trail.

We gave them some time, and then travelled down the trail slowly together. Didn't see them again.

Man, being by myself with 2 boars with nothing but my bike sure made me realize I should have had something to defend myself with. Those fuckers are very territorial, and we got lucky. 5 of them, and 4 of us, it could have gone bad.

I had a military buddy pick me up a tactical pigsticker. I'll carry it on my bag when trailbuilding by myself in the area. Better safe than sorry, eh.

Boker Tactical tonto. It makes my folders seem puny in comparison.

The best things in life all start with the letter B
Hooray for: Bacon, Bikeys, Boobies, Boards, and Beer!

Feb. 6, 2016, 9:12 a.m.

That shape is called a pigsticker? Awesome. I guess it's the right blade for that scenario then!

Feb. 8, 2016, 5:59 a.m.

Knives are like bikes….n+1.

We had a similar incident a few years ago, a woman tried todefend her little dog when it was attacked by biars, and she was badly maimed.

One more reason to get a proper tactical knife I can wear when bushwhacking and building off the beaten path.

- Kristen Ulmer

Feb. 8, 2016, 10:03 p.m.

Man I drank to much, thought this thread said skank

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

Feb. 9, 2016, 9:32 a.m.

Knives are like bikes….n+1.

QFT. A couple of years ago I picked up a little folder for campsite stuff.

… Then came the bigger fixed blade for rougher treatment

… and the smaller folder for my back pocket day-to-day

… and then even slimmer folder for tighter jeans/lower profile around town

… and the vintage Buck because vintage Buck

… and the Woodsman's Pal because …ugh…trailbuilding? (and Lee Valley gift certificate)

… and the tough/cheap folder for the job site…

I don't go near the knife counter at Robinsons/Capital Iron/MEC anymore. Can't be trusted.

The Silky saw display at Slegg is almost as dangerous. I'm doing well so far but damn do I want one of those super long Bigboy's, hard to justify when my Corona does such a good job.

Feb. 9, 2016, 1:01 p.m.

The Silky saw display at Slegg is almost as dangerous. I'm doing well so far but damn do I want one of those super long Bigboy's, hard to justify when my Corona does such a good job.

Same. Silky would kickass…but this little Corona does the job I need for hand sawing…otherwise we just pack the chainsaw=/

July 24, 2016, 12:21 p.m.

I've been on the lookout for a nice folder to not break the bank for some time now. A trip to wander around Cabela's last night had me leaving with a Kershaw Leek! Awesome little knife, exactly what I had in mind. I'm no knife expert but it feels like a quality knife and is bloody sharp out of the packaging.

I've also had a Milwaukee Fastback2 utility for almost a year now getting used a ton every day at work and it still feels like new other than some paint chips here and there, but I think that just adds character. If I lost it I'd be heading to the store to pick up another the same day.