The Shank Thread

Dec. 1, 2010, 10:35 a.m.

Being a knife knut, I couldn't help but notice how many folks posted pics of their knives in the 'what's in your survival kit' thread.

So, being that the knife is mankind's oldest and most valuable tool, and that bikes are mankind's 'noblest invention' it seems to me that there's a basic connection here.

If you carry a knife in your pocket, swing a machete to build trails or carry a shank just in case you look appetizing to a cougar or a pack of wild dogs, let's see them here. If you have advice for folks who know very little about knives, share it here. It's amazing how much can be known about a seemingly simple tool.

Here's one of mine;

It's called a khukuri, and it came straight from Nepal. It's made from a leaf spring and a water buffalo horn handle. Legend has it that Alexander the Great introduced this design into Nepal, and it was based on the Macedonian cavalry sword called the Machira, later know as the Greek Kopis. It's made in pretty much the same way now as it was made then. Although the steel's probably way better. This is the 'national knife' of Nepal, and most people would recognize it as the knife which helped build the reputation of the renowned Ghurka contingent of the British army. Or as the zombie killing device in Resident Evil.

At any rate, it's a hell of a trail building tool for the kind of bush and terrain we enjoy here in our temperate rain forest.

Dec. 1, 2010, 11:38 a.m.

nice, i love kukris… I used to have this Cold Steel one http://www.teraasekeskus.com/images/extra/ColdSteelKukriMachete2.jpg

had hundreds of knives… I am actually handmaking my own bushhacking, sasquatch killer… have yet to heat treat and temper the blade, will post pics when its done

Dec. 1, 2010, 11:46 a.m.

Here is one of my favourites. It is made by Bark River and is a great little edc. I also use it for cleaning trout.

>>---------> (x)
My flickr

Dec. 1, 2010, 11:50 a.m.

I've got three of these from Tramontina in my basement and 10 or 15 more at work. Not much of a knife fan, machetes have always been more my speed.

Mine are much, much, much dirtier and covered in survey flagging.

Dec. 1, 2010, 12:04 p.m.

Being a knife knut, I couldn't help but notice how many folks posted pics of their knives in the 'what's in your survival kit' thread.

So, being that the knife is mankind's oldest and most valuable tool, and that bikes are mankind's 'noblest invention' it seems to me that there's a basic connection here.

If you carry a knife in your pocket, swing a machete to build trails or carry a shank just in case you look appetizing to a cougar or a pack of wild dogs, let's see them here. If you have advice for folks who know very little about knives, share it here. It's amazing how much can be known about a seemingly simple tool.

Here's one of mine;

It's called a khukuri, and it came straight from Nepal. It's made from a leaf spring and a water buffalo horn handle. Legend has it that Alexander the Great introduced this design into Nepal, and it was based on the Macedonian cavalry sword called the Machira, later know as the Greek Kopis. It's made in pretty much the same way now as it was made then. Although the steel's probably way better. This is the 'national knife' of Nepal, and most people would recognize it as the knife which helped build the reputation of the renowned Ghurka contingent of the British army. Or as the zombie killing device in Resident Evil.

At any rate, it's a hell of a trail building tool for the kind of bush and terrain we enjoy here in our temperate rain forest.

Very nice!

I have one presented to my farther, when he served with a Ghurka regiment in Malaysia. Not as ornate as yours, but hellishly practical. Apparently in the right hands a single swing decapitation was considered to be reasonably practical. Malaysian insurgents at the time hated Ghurkas and German Sheppards with a passion.

Mine looks like this:

Please let me demonstrate the ride around; really it's no trouble.

Dec. 1, 2010, 12:14 p.m.

I completely mis-read the thread title. Major disappointment :(

Dec. 1, 2010, 12:15 p.m.

Can someone please explain the odd shape of the khukuri blade???

Dec. 1, 2010, 12:30 p.m.

I completely mis-read the thread title. Major disappointment :(

sorry, did you think it said 'skank thread'? LOL

Dec. 1, 2010, 12:36 p.m.

in the right hands a single swing decapitation was considered to be reasonably practical.

watch out for Knnn if you're braiding Natural High!

Dec. 1, 2010, 12:51 p.m.

I also misread the title… Fortunately I love knives just as much as I love skanks.

This one I keep in my desk at work… Good for opening envelopes and unsettling coworkers. Kershaw (best value for folders IMO) Leek with Titanium Oxide finish.

Dec. 1, 2010, 1:24 p.m.

kershaws kick ass…

Dec. 1, 2010, 1:33 p.m.

I can't confirm this, but I did hear the the shape was to allow for easy evisceration - just a flick of the wrist and you can scoop out your opponent's guts. Yay for human ingenuity!

Dec. 1, 2010, 2:05 p.m.

Nepalese are animists, and they make sacrificial offerings, usually by way of decapitating a buffalo. It's bad mojo if the head isn't removed in one swing. They use a big heavy khuk for this.

Fortunately for trail builders, the blade heavy design shears vegetation and wood like none other. Much easier to carry around than a power saw, and pretty damn efficient at chopping wood. The long edge makes it more versatile than an axe for other vegetation.

There are lots of variations on the khuk in Nepal, due to the tribal nature of the Nepali people. Some have a long martial history, some are agrarian, and the shape of the khuk varies widely depending on the intended use.

Kind of like mountain bikes, actually.

Dec. 1, 2010, 2:16 p.m.

I can't confirm this, but I did hear the the shape was to allow for easy evisceration - just a flick of the wrist and you can scoop out your opponent's guts. Yay for human ingenuity!

Actually I believe the blade is shaped the way it is so you don't need to move your wrist at all for thrust attacks. Lets you do a punching motion and still pierce your enemy tip forwards. Same with chopping. You can present the blade flat to your target while keeping your wrist in the stronger position.

Dec. 1, 2010, 2:24 p.m.

Surprised nobody has mentioned the blood drip on the Khuk… I've never seen one without it.

See the notch at the bottom of the blade? That is so your enemy's blood doesn't get all over your hands and make them slippery and therefore harder to use for future beheadings and/or eviscerations.