The perfect multi-tool?

Sept. 25, 2012, 7:51 a.m.

Bit of a boring thread, I know…

I'm fed up hunting around for the perfect multi-tool. What's your weapon of choice? I want something with:

1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8mm allen keys
0.127" spoke key
phillips and flat head screwdrivers
T25 torx wrench

I can take or leave the chain-breaker. In my experience my Park CT5 is small enough to throw in my pack and infinitely more useable than anything found on a multi-tool. Ideally it would have 6, 7 and 10mm box wrenches/ring spanners also, but I realise that might be a tall order. However, it cannot have any removable adapters, like some tools use to convert the 6mm allen to an 8mm, as invariably they get lost and I have to replace the whole tool. What are people liking out there?

Sept. 25, 2012, 8:19 a.m.

Filzer (The MEC brand) makes a cheap multi tool that's okay, but it's a bit on the boxy side for pocket storage.

I've switched to a Crank Brother Multi tool that has been really nice so far. If I was to do it again though, I would get a regulat multi, and store a spoke wrench and chain breaker in my pack for the rare times I need one.

Sept. 25, 2012, 8:29 a.m.

I had a previous version of the CB tool biggles mentioned for ~7 years. Worked great: Alan keys never rounded, chain tool was better than my Park one honestly, no removable bits and it had a pretty low profile spanner, too. Ended up getting a similar but smaller tool by lezine to replace it, but only because I couldn't find another one anywhere and needed something for the 4k. Time will tell how well the lezine works and holds up I guess, but I'm a bit tempted to just flip it and buy another CB now that they're back in stock at MEC.

On a side note, its incredible how poor the selection and stock of multi-tools is at many shops. I must have hit at least half a dozen before finding the Lezine, which was the first one that didn't look like a POS, so I bought it.

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Sept. 25, 2012, 8:51 a.m.

I've had the Filzer that Biggles mentioned for several years now. Apart from rusting a little due to moisture it has been the perfect multi tool for me. The chain breaker saved my ride a few years ago and has seen use on many other friends chains.

The CB tool and the Filzer look to have identical features. I guess it would just come down to weight and price.

www.FVMBA.com 

"If everything seems in control, you're not going fast enough."
-Mario Andretti-

Sept. 25, 2012, 8:56 a.m.

I'm still using the orginal version of this bad boy,

Light, hell no. I used to hate it due to it's bulk, BUT it's never let me down. The chain breaker is still smooth, and works as good as any Park one. My only other complaint is the 2.5 Allen key is too short. Makes it difficult to tighten your ODI's on the trail without moving the shifter/brake levers.

Sept. 25, 2012, 9:19 a.m.

Get a separate Allen Key set, an adjustable wrench, seperate chain breaker, one of the compact/swappable head racheting screw drivers (the mastercraft ones have a t25 bit in them as well).

I'm a multi-tool hater, I used to drink that cool-aid and then i started to actually use the tools and they were always awkward/less efficient than their stand alone counterpart. I care all my tools seperate, in a little baggy and I'm way better of when i need to use them. I find that I'm already choked enough fixing my bike instead of riding, I don't want to have to worry about my tools.

Sept. 25, 2012, 9:29 a.m.

Get a separate Allen Key set, an adjustable wrench, seperate chain breaker, one of the compact/swappable head racheting screw drivers (the mastercraft ones have a t25 bit in them as well).

I'm a multi-tool hater, I used to drink that cool-aid and then i started to actually use the tools and they were always awkward/less efficient than their stand alone counterpart. I care all my tools seperate, in a little baggy and I'm way better of when i need to use them. I find that I'm already choked enough fixing my bike instead of riding, I don't want to have to worry about my tools.

Bah humbug…when I'm red in the face and sweating like a pig I don't want to fumble around looking for an allen key, drop it on the trail etc etc. I have been using the CB tool for a few years, works great. I even use it in the workshop if it's easily to hand. I have fixed people's chains many times, I don't like to ride without a chain tool, along with a pump it's unsubstitutable.

Cheers Ben

Sept. 25, 2012, 9:36 a.m.

Sept. 25, 2012, 10:18 a.m.

i use this:

http://www.pro-bikegear.com/publish/content/pro_2010/nl/en/index/products/tools/minitools.-productCode-PRTL0002.html

It must be said, that the size 6 hex screw is easy to loose.

Sept. 25, 2012, 10:25 a.m.

I've settled on the Crank Brothers Multi 17. Haven't had to use the spoke keys but they're there.

Filzer stuff is generally crap. I've broken the torx heads off two different tools. Yes it's warrantied, but a broken tool doesn't do much in the field.

flickr

Sept. 25, 2012, 11:54 a.m.

…..Filzer stuff is generally crap……………

Generally…..I somewhat agree.

However, I've had the same multi-tool for at least 5 years. No issues at all. It's cheap, it works but it isn't light weight. That is its only downfall.

I think of tools in my pack as EMERGENCY tools. You should only need them if something goes very wrong. A little bit of maintenance on your bike BEFORE your rides should almost completely eliminate the need for your emergency tools. The idea of carrying separate tools etc as Spinach described just makes no sense to me (no offence intended).

www.FVMBA.com 

"If everything seems in control, you're not going fast enough."
-Mario Andretti-

Sept. 25, 2012, 11:56 a.m.

No such thing.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Sept. 25, 2012, noon

I've settled on the Crank Brothers Multi 17. Haven't had to use the spoke keys but they're there.

works well and has pretty good ergonomics

you've seen me re-tension a wheel with one at the trail head :)

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Sept. 25, 2012, 12:17 p.m.

Lezyne Mulitools are awesome, nice thin design, also comes in carbon if you are looking for lightweight. The best thing about them is the 2mm is bent and you can actually get in to adjust lever reach on brakes that do not have tool free adjustments.

Sept. 25, 2012, 12:20 p.m.

I've been using the Lezyne SV 10 for trail riding. It's really well designed and built, and super light - goes in my front pocket and I don't even know it's there.

The crank bros one is great, too. Pretty much everything you need and the chain tool works great. It's a little heavy/bulky if you're not using a pack so it's in my commuter bag.