The new lights thread

Sept. 17, 2008, 9:40 a.m.

How about the Lupine Tesla?

LED light with a claimed 700 lumens at 325 grams. 3 Hour run time on bright mode, includes helmet and bar mount.

http://www.geomangear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info[HTML_REMOVED]cPath=4[HTML_REMOVED]products_id=71

Sept. 17, 2008, 10:13 a.m.

How about the Lupine Tesla?

LED light with a claimed 700 lumens at 325 grams. 3 Hour run time on bright mode, includes helmet and bar mount.

http://www.geomangear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info[HTML_REMOVED]cPath=4[HTML_REMOVED]products_id=71

Thank you for the mention! We appreciate it very much.

That light is going to be a good one. We'll have them after their release at InterBike. Don't even have the prices on them yet…

BTW, we ride too! I use the Lupine Betty 7 at the moment. It is a GREAT light but admittedly expensive… 1,500 lumens.

GeoMan
We Ride!
www.geomangear.com

Sept. 17, 2008, 11:48 a.m.

Steve, you're welcome to try my Niterider out if you want a comparison. I guaranty you will never go back to halogen, even yours overvoltage system.

I think the lumen output of my halogen is probably higher, but more and more, I am realising that the penetration of the yellow halogen like is crap compared to the bluish HID/LED.

Can anyone see anything wrong with the Airbike LED system? If not, then I am quite willing to be the guinea pig and try it out.

Sept. 17, 2008, 11:54 a.m.

I found the yellowish light of lower temperature halogen lights decreases visibility when riding on trails with a lot of leaves or duff.

All I can say is people need to buy more of the HID and high end LED lights so that the price of these items will come down. :D

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Sept. 17, 2008, 6:51 p.m.

One of the only reasons why I would consider still getting an HID is this light: http://www.trailtech.net/SCMR16_helmet_light_kits.html

Cheap (relatively speaking) and with insane light output. You can't match it for lumens/dollar. Nothing will come close. The downsides are that it is an HID, so it won't be as reliable as something like an LED, and that it is definitely on the heavy side for a helmet mount. I personally would really enjoy having one of these for a bar mount, with a nice LED helmet light putting out 700 or so lumens on the spotty side of things.

However, the next while should see a number of new lights and hopefully lower prices. The SSC P7 and Cree MC-E emitters mean things can be made a lot more compact for comparable output and lumen rating will jump on average. I can't see these LEDs not being embraced by many of the current leading light manufacturers.

22 Pride

Sept. 17, 2008, 6:51 p.m.

One of the only reasons why I would consider still getting an HID is this light: http://www.trailtech.net/SCMR16_helmet_light_kits.html

Cheap (relatively speaking) and with insane light output. You can't match it for lumens/dollar. Nothing will come close. The downsides are that it is an HID, so it won't be as reliable as something like an LED, and that it is definitely on the heavy side for a helmet mount. I personally would really enjoy having one of these for a bar mount, with a nice LED helmet light putting out 700 or so lumens on the spotty side of things.

However, the next while should see a number of new lights and hopefully lower prices. The SSC P7 and Cree MC-E emitters mean things can be made a lot more compact for comparable output and lumen rating will jump on average. I can't see these LEDs not being embraced by many of the current leading light manufacturers.

22 Pride

Sept. 17, 2008, 11:36 p.m.

Anyone know the lumens output of the basic NiteRider HID (i.e. Storm)? It's an MR11, so is it equivelant to the Trailtech MR11? If so, the SCMR16 would be 4 times as bright, and that would be insane.

IIRC, MR16 halogen bulbs put out twice as much light as an MR11 for the same amount of input power.

As for LED lights, how are the newer ones for weight? The first ones were both big/clumsy and heavy.

The weight of the Niterider light is fine. I use it on and XC lid without any issues. A FF should easily take two without even noticing the weight.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Sept. 18, 2008, 8:39 a.m.

Anyone seen this http://reviews.mtbr.com/blog/lights-shootout-introduction/#comments ?

Sept. 18, 2008, 9:08 a.m.

Anyone know the lumens output of the basic NiteRider HID (i.e. Storm)? It's an MR11, so is it equivelant to the Trailtech MR11? If so, the SCMR16 would be 4 times as bright, and that would be insane.

IIRC, MR16 halogen bulbs put out twice as much light as an MR11 for the same amount of input power.

As for LED lights, how are the newer ones for weight? The first ones were both big/clumsy and heavy.

The weight of the Niterider light is fine. I use it on and XC lid without any issues. A FF should easily take two without even noticing the weight.

Trailtechs and Niteriders are probably both about 500 Lumens. Perhaps more like 400 for the Trailtech, hard to say. I think Niterider measured the TriNewt at around 500 lumens and they claimed it is brighter than any other bike light they have made…
This was posted up on mtbr a while ago in a thread about the SCMR16… definitely a lot of light!

Anyone seen this http://reviews.mtbr.com/blog/lights-shootout-introduction/#comments ?

Yup, that is really worth a look. The crazy thing is that even since then… there have been some notable advances and new lights released! Hard to stay current with the LED tech it seems, but I'm not going to complain, it all just means more light. :)

22 Pride

Sept. 18, 2008, 11:39 a.m.

The SCMR16's are too heavy and get extremely hot. Silk on the Board used to run them. IMO not realiable and they kept shutting off because of the heat.

Team Shuttlewhore

Sept. 18, 2008, 11:51 a.m.

The SCMR16's are too heavy and get extremely hot. Silk on the Board used to run them. IMO not realiable and they kept shutting off because of the heat.

If they were designed for moto use, then they may rely on the higher speeds for cooling.

I've ordered one of the Airbike lights, we'll see how it holds up.

Sept. 18, 2008, 6:06 p.m.

Some people definitely aren't too keen on them for some of those reasons, but it would still be fun for the light output. I'm hoping to make something much smaller and lighter but with similar light output… should be interesting to see if it works out. Unfortunately, these days just about anything that puts out that much light is going to have heat issues, it's just a matter of how big an issue that is.

22 Pride

Sept. 29, 2008, 4:13 p.m.

Some new lights just arrived into my hands.

Should be fun. They seem very well made, reasonably priced, good dimming options and they have some really nice options for mounting. Light as well…..as in they don't weigh much :)

Dinotte 400L - 400 lumen 2 LED light
Dinotte 800L - 800 lumen 4 LED light

www.FVMBA.com 

"If everything seems in control, you're not going fast enough."
-Mario Andretti-

Sept. 29, 2008, 4:39 p.m.

reasonably priced

do you mind if i ask how much? and where from?

do let us know how you like em. i know on mtbr.com they seem to like em a lot.

Sept. 29, 2008, 4:45 p.m.

those are pricey…

http://store.dinottelighting.com/sha...unt2=302665352

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.