The new lights thread

Sept. 12, 2008, 12:07 p.m.

I hear you… you may not but others do (and I have seen many). We do live with an other 1000000'ish pepole and some come from Surrey!

Edit: I run HID and like it but it's not 1000 lum. you just dont need that much.

You can see Grouse from south of Bellingham year round. The North Shore isn't pristine natural habitat for anything.

Sept. 12, 2008, 12:42 p.m.

You can see Grouse from south of Bellingham year round. The North Shore isn't pristine natural habitat for anything.

but does have a lot of houses…you could go on and on about why or why not. I not against night riding just saying. Hell, I think some of those lights are realy cool but should not be used in some places…:beer:

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

Sept. 12, 2008, 12:42 p.m.

you're not going fast enough if 1 HID is enough …

On an unfamiliar trail that's true. However, on a familiar trails, I can keep up just fine with those running 2 HID's.

Sept. 12, 2008, 2:28 p.m.

pics of lightmeter readings, claimer!!

those look pretty cool, although they could use some waterproofing for use here.. Rocker switches??

I've got rocker switches on my lights and they've never been a problem.

Sept. 12, 2008, 2:51 p.m.

I hear you… you may not but others do (and I have seen many). We do live with an other 1000000'ish pepole and some come from Surrey!

Edit: I run HID and like it but it's not 1000 lum. you just dont need that much.

sounds like YOU dont need that much.

Its like telling someone they dont need an 8inch for because you can ride the trail on a 5x5.

Me I like dual HID and id take even more light if it was cheap enough. One is OK but I enjoy dual more and if I had dual Betty 12's I bet Id like that even more.

I like how your one HID is OK but more light than that is somehow going to shut trails down and disturb animals.

Sept. 12, 2008, 3:04 p.m.

Some conditions require A LOT more light (cold winter hazy/misty nights).

Some trails require more light because of their composition. Pure gravel lights up well, but duff and leaves don't.

Climb with one light on during the long ascent, turn on the 2nd for the quick descent. Nocturnal creatures need not really be bothered.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Sept. 12, 2008, 3:10 p.m.

nocturnal creatures shouldn't be bothered anyhow - it's not like you're looking off into the forest when you're riding, just down the trail.

Sept. 12, 2008, 3:36 p.m.

sounds like YOU dont need that much.

Its like telling someone they dont need an 8inch for because you can ride the trail on a 5x5.

Me I like dual HID and id take even more light if it was cheap enough. One is OK but I enjoy dual more and if I had dual Betty 12's I bet Id like that even more.

I like how your one HID is OK but more light than that is somehow going to shut trails down and disturb animals.

ok fine I'll get some! btw I ride a hardtail and think we should ban all bikes with more than 5" of travel…:D

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

Sept. 12, 2008, 4:26 p.m.

it's not like you're looking off into the forest when you're riding, just down the trail.

Anyway, if you did look, you'd only be scaring heatmizer.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Sept. 12, 2008, 4:55 p.m.

Anyway, if you did look, you'd only be scaring heatmizer.

I thought that was if LG looked out her window??

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Sept. 12, 2008, 5:19 p.m.

That's a fact but there are those that believe it is pristine or will revert to that if it's all left alone to just them. It's the perception that is important.

Switch said:"Some conditions require A LOT more light (cold winter hazy/misty nights).

Some trails require more light because of their composition. Pure gravel lights up well, but duff and leaves don't.

Climb with one light on during the long ascent, turn on the 2nd for the quick descent. Nocturnal creatures need not really be bothered. "

Very true. Wet trails on a wet cloudy night are very dark and visibility is poorer. And not everyone sees as well at night. I think I have good night vision because I don't really have problems, but I have friends that don't ride at night because even with good lights they don't see well and stumble and crash around a lot.

I don't know if a passing light bothers nocturnal critters. I do see more mice and other small mammals at night with my dual HID's than when I had lesser lights. I suspect the animals don't care that much and become habituated rapidly. I did watch a cougar on highway 99 last winter gnawing on a deer that I saw it capture from the headlights of my car. It did not appear to be the least bit concerned with me watching from 30 feet off, or from the other traffic going by. Mind you it was probably pretty concentrated on holding dinner down until it expired.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Sept. 12, 2008, 6:31 p.m.

I thought that was if LG looked out her window??

Stalkers know no boundaries.

- Josiah Stamp

- H.G. Wells

Sept. 17, 2008, 8:40 a.m.

pics of lightmeter readings, claimer!!

those look pretty cool, although they could use some waterproofing for use here.. Rocker switches??

After reading the reviews, I'm really seriously considering one. Connor, your HID, is it a Niterider? One of the people comment on how it's similar to the Niterider and not quite as good as an L+M ARC. For ~$200 landed, I think I may get one. There's not another system that comes close pricewise.

Sept. 17, 2008, 9:04 a.m.

Jenson is selling the NiteRider Enduro (HID, helmet mount, 4 hrs runtime) for $255. That's a pretty good deal.

I just picked one of these up to put on my bars. I already had a niterider HID as a helmet mount. Looking forward to joining the Double HID crowd this winter.

River City Cycle Club - www.rivercitycycle.ca

Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

Sept. 17, 2008, 9:13 a.m.

After reading the reviews, I'm really seriously considering one. Connor, your HID, is it a Niterider? One of the people comment on how it's similar to the Niterider and not quite as good as an L+M ARC. For ~$200 landed, I think I may get one. There's not another system that comes close pricewise.

Steve, you're welcome to try my Niterider out if you want a comparison. I guaranty you will never go back to halogen, even yours overvoltage system.