the hypothetical new bike discussion w spouse advice thread...

Dec. 15, 2017, 8:46 p.m.

Posted by: rnayel

Now, I will only buy a new bike after I sell the old one first and I have set a non-ridiculous budget that I operate within. It works for us. She understands that I enjoy building up and maintaining my bikes as much as I do riding them. Honestly, whatever works in your marriage is all good. 

Buying new shit shouldn't be at the cost of your happiness at home, what good is having a new bike if your spouse is significantly pissed or feels undervalued.

The struggle is real.

Rnayel's technique has gotten me through some rough patches.

Dec. 16, 2017, 6:44 a.m.

You can always do lots of dishes and learn to vacuum.

Dec. 16, 2017, 9:35 a.m.

If she has a problem with you being happy and healthy then get a new wife. Yolo

Dec. 17, 2017, 10:58 a.m.

my wife actually brought the subject up last week , I have been changing the back ground wall paper to different bike's I am drooling over . She told me that when we relocate up country I can pull the trigger on a new rig , I can wait it,s only a couple yrs .

Dec. 17, 2017, 6:53 p.m.

At the end of the day it's just money. You make it, you spend it. Or something like that

Dec. 17, 2017, 8 p.m.

Last few bike purchases with my wife have been, she bought me one, i bought her one, then i just bought one, she will be next, works out pretty good.

Dec. 19, 2017, 8:54 a.m.

When I first met my wife she knew I had a one track mind, BIKES, boobs, beer and bananas. She did not ride at first but but slowly got more into it and loves it. She has been riding for six years. I bought us his and hers Norco Sights Christmas 2016. This bike really allowed her to enjoy the trails as her Giant trance was her first bike and was a bit worn out. She saw first hand the difference a new bike made.

We started cross this year and she absolutely loves it. On her own will and idea bought a brand new CX bike, Kona Jake the Snake that she named buttercup. This was an upgrade form the steel hardtail she was racing on. Again saw the value in an upgrade. She has always known I buy a lot of bike stuff and been cool with it, but what is really cool is now seeing her truly understand why and have some of that bike part lust herself.

I have been talking a lot about getting a new bike to up my racing game a bit. Money is tight and she is still all for it. Having said that it does not give me carte blanche to go buy whatever I want. After much number crunching and excel spreadsheets it looks like I will just get a frame and swap parts.

Last edited by: heathen on Dec. 19, 2017, 9:38 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Dec. 20, 2017, 5:31 p.m.

I just went through this.  I am one of those guys whom has a few hobbies, and none are cheap.  Bikes included.  I get nothing but the best, as well.  My fly fishing gear, stereo, bike....all high end.

I basically told my wife that I was getting a new Chromag Surface Ti, and that was it.  Granted, I am the 90% earner, but the fact I am getting older (45) also puts me in the "I don't give a shit" category.  Life is too short for regrets, we are not hurting, and as my wife said to me last night "you can't take it to the grave".  Not that one should be foolhardy and be swallowed in debt, but some long term financing is okay so long as it can be paid and the bases covered.  Of course, the final bill for the new bike is not mentioned, but the understanding it is going to be "significant" is there, especially with my given proclivities for nothing but the best.  By now my wife has most likely adopted an attitude of "don't ask, don't tell".   And truthfully, she is treated very well.

I suppose it depends whom really wears the pants.  I think age has something to do with it, too.  If I were late 20's early 30's and struggling for a down payment on a townhouse or whatever I could see the debate.  But if you are established and comfortable.....full steam ahead.

Dec. 20, 2017, 7:14 p.m.

Still struggling with the wife's unreasonable ban on bike parts in the bedroom. How's a guy supposed to get excited without a little carbon fibre?

Dec. 20, 2017, 7:24 p.m.

Posted by: AlanB

Still struggling with the wife's unreasonable ban on bike parts in the bedroom. How's a guy supposed to get excited without a little carbon fibre?

maybe she doesn't want to get distracted with the thought of a full extension seat post?

Dec. 20, 2017, 8:13 p.m.

edit: fuck this, i don't know how to post pics here anymore

Last edited by: tashi on Dec. 20, 2017, 8:23 p.m., edited 3 times in total.
Dec. 20, 2017, 9:13 p.m.

Posted by: tashi

edit: fuck this, i don't know how to post pics here anymore

all you need to do is click on the image icon and then copy your link into the box

Dec. 21, 2017, 10:25 a.m.

Always gives me a broken link on the new board.  Worked on the old one, and on BikeForums but not here for me.

Dec. 21, 2017, 3:24 p.m.

I feel like, in my circle at least, those who are allowed to spend freely typically are more responsible with their want vs spend ratio. Those who constantly have to ask for permission/forgiveness generally have a higher degree of bike lust. 

I guess the same principle holds true for regular lust too...