The future of XC Racing

April 20, 2013, 6:20 p.m.

It is happening. Mark my words… the 16-pound XC "mountain bike" is born. Source: Sea Otter:

So far, that's just two Specialized bikes. That's a pretty far cry from the entire future of XC racing.

Besides, I wouldn't call a rigid bike the future of XC; I would however say it's the past.

April 20, 2013, 7:55 p.m.

Sea Otter is a one off. Did you notice the guys racing the DH on 140mm bikes?

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

April 20, 2013, 10:06 p.m.

I've ridden the xc trails there…..buff, more buff, and even more buff.

April 20, 2013, 10:42 p.m.

I've ridden the xc trails there…..buff, more buff, and even more buff.

That is just it though. That is what XC means to the rest of the world. Here in our beautiful bubble, what we call XC, most other places in the world wouldn't rate lower than black-diamond full-face + neck-brace kind of riding.

Just saying that no one should be shocked to see bunch of Olympians riding on this exact kind of bike in 2016.

:bandit:

April 20, 2013, 10:50 p.m.

So far, that's just two Specialized bikes. That's a pretty far cry from the entire future of XC racing.

Besides, I wouldn't call a rigid bike the future of XC; I would however say it's the past.

But isn't also Specialized that has single handily transformed the mass opinion on 29ers from nay to yay within just a few seasons?

They weren't the first there, but their marketing beast is roars the loudest. They can probably convince pros to race with this, and then the weekend warriors with $8000 to spend on a 4th bike will probably follow en mass.

April 20, 2013, 11:18 p.m.

It is happening. Mark my words… the 16-pound XC "mountain bike" is born. Source: Sea Otter:

Only 8 years too late and 3 pounds too heavy, and amazingly ugly….

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/articles.php?ID=94

treezz
wow you are a ass

April 21, 2013, 11:49 p.m.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/articles.php?ID=94

V-brake fail. Even for 2005.

April 22, 2013, 12:09 a.m.

sick hybrid. can I mount my pannier to it? needs smoother tires for running errands though. maybe some 35c marathons or something?

Check my stuff for sale!

April 22, 2013, 12:32 a.m.

But isn't also Specialized that has single handily transformed the mass opinion on 29ers from nay to yay within just a few seasons?

They weren't the first there, but their marketing beast is roars the loudest. They can probably convince pros to race with this, and then the weekend warriors with $8000 to spend on a 4th bike will probably follow en mass.

I'll go with your argument if we're talking about them using such a bike once or twice a year but I think there is far too much speed maintained cornering with a suspension fork for pros to go rigid all the time.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

April 22, 2013, 9:29 a.m.

V-brake fail. Even for 2005.

I've done my fair share of racing around fields and fire roads (or "XCO" racing or whatever it's called these days) to know that discs aren't really that important. Every single race is won by the strongest climber.

Canti brakes with Matthauser pads FTW :D

treezz
wow you are a ass

April 22, 2013, 10:09 a.m.

If you're point was true then all of the pros would be on 29er full suspension bikes all the time because that is what bike companies want to push today. In reality pros ride what is fastest/most comfortable for them. The only gains to be made here are in weight with remote lockouts on forks/shocks. Saving a a couple lbs isn't worth it. Do you do a lot of euro xc races?

April 22, 2013, 10:34 a.m.

If you're point was true then all of the pros would be on 29er full suspension bikes all the time because that is what bike companies want to push today. In reality pros ride what is fastest/most comfortable for them. The only gains to be made here are in weight with remote lockouts on forks/shocks. Saving a a couple lbs isn't worth it. Do you do a lot of euro xc races?

Read an interesting article in Singletrack where Chipps spent a day at Scottish Cycling and the XC team. On a training ride with them he observed that part of their training was riding pump tracks and lap after lap of the tabletop line. The goal was to get them comfortable with getting air time. This was based on coach Paul Newnham's observation of the direction the technical features of World Cup and Olympic XC are going.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

April 22, 2013, 11:21 p.m.

Read an interesting article in Singletrack where Chipps spent a day at Scottish Cycling and the XC team. On a training ride with them he observed that part of their training was riding pump tracks and lap after lap of the tabletop line. The goal was to get them comfortable with getting air time. This was based on coach Paul Newnham's observation of the direction the technical features of World Cup and Olympic XC are going.

Interesting… but it seems like UCI has other plans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0qXxXRTwUQ

Not a single tire left smooth smooth gravel on that day anywhere even a mm into the air.

Some nail biting downhill technical sections at 1:38 ish.

Don't get me wrong, the lowest ranking of these pros can absolutely rip any kind of terrain, but the world cups don't push them anywhere near the envelope of their handling abilities.

April 23, 2013, 6:53 a.m.

At least they have Rob Warner doing the commentary.

May 6, 2013, 12:19 p.m.

yo 'pak, marco fontana says you are wrong

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Marco-Fontana-Interview-2013.html

there is more sprinting, more technical riding… [c]ross-country is an endurance sport, it's getting more technical, but it's still an endurance sport.

just like everyone else ;)

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave