The Evil Thread

Oct. 28, 2016, 7:04 p.m.

Every time I see this thread revived I'm all like 'please let it not be something bad'.

There are other threads in other places if you are looking for bad :(

Oct. 28, 2016, 8:26 p.m.

How is the X2 holding up?

NSBS carrying Norco now?

Mine? Apparently the recall was due to a handful of real smart users. Mine is set up within normal parameters and working fine. Suspensionwerx said there will be some voluntary warranty upgrades but who knows what or when. I do want to get a climb switch installed.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Oct. 29, 2016, 5:45 p.m.

^These issues were supposed to be addressed by switching to the same factory as Santa Cruz…

Apparently a factory change doesn't solve engineering issues.

Nov. 2, 2016, 12:43 p.m.

How is the X2 holding up?

NSBS carrying Norco now?

Looks like mine is affected by the warranty after all. Got an code from Fox and an RA from OGC. They will replace the air cans, which will be in stock at OGC around November 8. Now the max main chamber pressure is 250. I run around 238 which I guess is fine.

Nov. 2, 2016, 4:20 p.m.

Saw a cracked Wreck rear triangle online yesterday. $400 for a new one.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Nov. 3, 2016, 8:49 a.m.

How many sales is/are Norco losing by waiting until Jan/Feb '17 to publicly release the Range and Sight 29ers?

The bikes were supposed to be available in November but got pushed back to Jan/Feb. I'd guess they will lose sales b/c there aren't even sneak peeks so you have to wait until the official release before even making a decision. I hear they will be available in shops as soon as they're publicly released though.

:canada: :england:

Nov. 3, 2016, 9:17 a.m.

Saw a cracked Wreck rear triangle online yesterday. $400 for a new one.

carbon warranty seems to be a bit of a sticky issue. seems a manufacturer could default to crash replacement rather than free replacement in most scenarios. all bikes get crashed now and then. with aluminum, unless a tube was clearly impact damaged (ie, dented), cracks were typically taken care of without hassle. sport a few rock chips on your carbon frame, and you might be paying out of pocket for a design and/or manufacturing defect. random thought; not suggesting this is happening with the wreck. frame failure (in general) seems to be pretty rare these days regardless of material.

Nov. 3, 2016, 10:45 a.m.

The bikes were supposed to be available in November but got pushed back to Jan/Feb. I'd guess they will lose sales b/c there aren't even sneak peeks so you have to wait until the official release before even making a decision. I hear they will be available in shops as soon as they're publicly released though.

be nice if all other,s did similar , at one time it was after Interbike before the next model year stuff hit the floors . Now it,s June from some companies , and others are still trickling out their current model , and trying to sell against the next model year 6 mths ahead of time .

#northsidetrailbuilders

Nov. 3, 2016, 3:50 p.m.

I was hoping the Range 29 would make a good replacement to my Wreck eventually but they did some weird stuff. As the frame size goes up chainstays get longer (good) but the STAs get slacker (not good). Super low stack in the bigger sizes. Compared to the Wreck it has shorter TT and longer reach, which I think would be fine. The Wreck has a just steep enough STA/ESTA, and that's with offset bushings. I couldn't imagine riding anything slacker.

What is Norco's justification in making the STA slacker in bigger sizes? That bigger riders have longer femurs?

Nov. 3, 2016, 4:16 p.m.

What's the HTA on the Range 29 and Sight 29?

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Nov. 3, 2016, 8:13 p.m.

What's the HTA on the Range 29 and Sight 29?

Around 67' if I remember correctly.

Nov. 3, 2016, 10:16 p.m.

I was hoping the Range 29 would make a good replacement to my Wreck eventually but they did some weird stuff. As the frame size goes up chainstays get longer (good) but the STAs get slacker (not good). Super low stack in the bigger sizes. Compared to the Wreck it has shorter TT and longer reach, which I think would be fine. The Wreck has a just steep enough STA/ESTA, and that's with offset bushings. I couldn't imagine riding anything slacker.

What is Norco's justification in making the STA slacker in bigger sizes? That bigger riders have longer femurs?

I'm guessing that Norco just doesn't have any taller riders. There are still a few holdouts in the slacker STA game for taller (and shorter) riders. Too slack and if royally screws with climbing and singletrack by creating too much rear weight bias. The rear shock is overworked, the front end gets way too light on steep climbs.

I did prefer a slacker STA for descending though. With the dropper slammed it still gives me the option of working the bike with my thighs or knees. I've ridden a few bikes that were brutal this way.

The worst combination for me is a bike with too much curve in the seat tube. Way too slack when climbing and the saddle disappears entirely when slammed. Bike manufacturers, please use straight (or straighter) seat tubes with nice angles (73-75).

Nov. 4, 2016, 6:45 a.m.

I'm guessing that Norco just doesn't have any taller riders. There are still a few holdouts in the slacker STA game for taller (and shorter) riders. Too slack and if royally screws with climbing and singletrack by creating too much rear weight bias. The rear shock is overworked, the front end gets way too light on steep climbs.

I did prefer a slacker STA for descending though. With the dropper slammed it still gives me the option of working the bike with my thighs or knees. I've ridden a few bikes that were brutal this way.

The worst combination for me is a bike with too much curve in the seat tube. Way too slack when climbing and the saddle disappears entirely when slammed. Bike manufacturers, please use straight (or straighter) seat tubes with nice angles (73-75).

I had a Demo that really taught me about that. The reach was great but the ETT was so short because of the seat tower placement/angle that when the seat was down it went so far forward and I couldn't use it to steer (which turns out to be something I do a lot).

Between the geo settings, offset bushings and sliding my seat forward I've pretty much mitigated it on the Wreck. The climbing switch on the X2 reduces excess sag while climbing so that should pretty much solve that issue. I recently rode a Chromag Rootdown BA with a 75' static STA and loved it. So clearly a 73.7' STA (before sag) just isn't going to be enough.

Nov. 4, 2016, 2:28 p.m.

Haven't done back to back yet. Nobody sells Evil in Canada.

I know this comment is old, but Beaufort Bikes in Cumberland are now carrying Evil. They have an Insurgent in stock and say they are getting a few demos in this spring/summer.

:canada: :england:

Nov. 4, 2016, 2:47 p.m.

I know this comment is old, but Beaufort Bikes in Cumberland are now carrying Evil. They have an Insurgent in stock and say they are getting a few demos in this spring/summer.

Steed used to carry them as well, my wife took a Revolt for a spin around their parking lot a few years back.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.