The Evil Thread

March 19, 2016, 4:02 p.m.

It was wreckommended I start a fresh thread for the Wreckoning since there were so many questions about it. So here it is. I put a ton of thought into this bike. I was looking for something to replace my battered Enduro 29. Something similar but different. Something with a bit more personality. The E29 was an amazing but very neutral bike and I wanted a return to the more exotic bikes I used to own. But there aren't many options if you're 6'6".

This bike has more reach, stack and ETT than my XL E29 but only marginally longer wheelbase and roughly the same BB height. The ESTA is about the same as the E29 at full leg extension. That's a 170mm 34.9 Reverb and I've since switched to a 50mm stem. Total weight is around 32lbs (.75lbs lighter than my alloy E29 with similar parts). Frame with shock weighed around 7.8lbs. A very reasonable fighting weight for a bike like this and a rider like me.

This is my first single pivot, first Evil, first Weagle bike. After a couple of rides it's clear that this is not an FSR (I've been riding FSR bikes for 10+ years). So far it climbs and descends as well as the E29 but it's very different in ways I can't quite put my finger on yet. Where the E29 was neutral everywhere the Wreckoning definitely has preferences and wants to be ridden a certain way. I just haven't exactly figured out what that way is. Once we know each other better I think this bike will outperform the E29.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

March 19, 2016, 4:18 p.m.

How much did the frame set you back? And of course your new bike better outperform your old one. That's what we all hope for regardless if it does or not.

March 19, 2016, 4:21 p.m.

How much did the frame set you back? And of course your new bike better outperform your old one. That's what we all hope for regardless if it does or not.

I bought it at Fanatik in Bham with the rest of the plebes. Who knows, maybe in six months I'll be wishing for the familiar comfort of my Enduro again?

March 19, 2016, 7 p.m.

I had a couple of hours at Galbraith on a Wreckoning today and was blown away. It climbed far better than expected and caught me out with speed through a could chunky DH sections. The bike handled the speed very well but my mind was telling me to drop the anchor. The fit was perfect with the saddle in the right place and the bars exactly where my hands wanted them. Kudos to Evil for dialling in the fit so well!

I can compare directly to my old E29 (both XL frames) which I sold because it was rather boring to ride. The Wreckoning turns much more directly which made it a blast on twisty singletrack. I was rather shocked by how well it got through tight corners. On my E29 I had to purposely dive to the inside of a corner to get through it cleanly. Tough to describe but definitely an attribute that I loved.

March 19, 2016, 7:46 p.m.

I had a couple of hours at Galbraith on a Wreckoning today and was blown away. It climbed far better than expected and caught me out with speed through a could chunky DH sections. The bike handled the speed very well but my mind was telling me to drop the anchor. The fit was perfect with the saddle in the right place and the bars exactly where my hands wanted them. Kudos to Evil for dialling in the fit so well!

I can compare directly to my old E29 (both XL frames) which I sold because it was rather boring to ride. The Wreckoning turns much more directly which made it a blast on twisty singletrack. I was rather shocked by how well it got through tight corners. On my E29 I had to purposely dive to the inside of a corner to get through it cleanly. Tough to describe but definitely an attribute that I loved.

I've owned Enduros for quite a while, primarily enamoured by basic fit issues and consistency. Riding the Evil reminds me of test riding Knollys, which also had a distinct personality and sweet spot.

March 19, 2016, 7:52 p.m.

Hordes of these on galbraith today. Demo day at fanatik.

Good looking bike, weight seemed reasonable. Just worry about quality control with these more boutique brands.

BCpov on YouTube

www.instagram.com/BCPov

www.facebook.com/BCpov

March 19, 2016, 7:59 p.m.

Hordes of these on galbraith today. Demo day at fanatik.

Good looking bike, weight seemed reasonable. Just worry about quality control with these more boutique brands.

I did too. I've had a lot of heartbreak because of boutiques bike I've owned in the past (stuff breaks, waiting forever to get replacement parts, etc). I went to Fanatik in December to check out some Followings in person. The fit and finish was way beyond what I expected. They claim to have not warrantied any Followings or Insurgents last year after selling 100s.

Plus an incredibly demanding old riding buddy of mine has owned 4 Evils and is still super stoked.

Though the bikes do use proprietary bearings, which is manageable.

March 19, 2016, 8:22 p.m.

I've owned Enduros for quite a while, primarily enamoured by basic fit issues and consistency. Riding the Evil reminds me of test riding Knollys, which also had a distinct personality and sweet spot.

Knolly lost me with the Chilcotin, never had it feeling as good as my Delirium. Rode a Rocky Altitude though and I was blown away. It'll be at the top of my list when I'm ready for another FS bike. Evil's newer offerings are also interesting though, especially if they've beaten their old QC issues.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

March 19, 2016, 8:24 p.m.

Knolly lost me with the Chilcotin, never had it feeling as good as my Delirium. Rode a Rocky Altitude though and I was blown away. It'll be at the top of my list when I'm ready for another FS bike. Evil's newer offerings are also interesting though, especially if they've beaten their old QC issues.

The V-Tach and I got along great. But once I needed AM bikes to fit better the slack STA and short head tube became a problem for me. The first Enduro I had had a 6" head tube and 75' STA which was a revelation.

March 19, 2016, 11:05 p.m.

rad machine. 2 questions- did you consider the Remedy 29 with a big fork in your search? they seem so well loved by reviewers everywhere and ridden to good effect at pro EWS level. digging those Easton grips? only grips i like at this point, and the thick ones are very thick i find.

March 19, 2016, 11:14 p.m.

I got mine today!!!!
https://instagram.com/p/BDKNc1FQAVv/

March 19, 2016, 11:23 p.m.

rad machine. 2 questions- did you consider the Remedy 29 with a big fork in your search? they seem so well loved by reviewers everywhere and ridden to good effect at pro EWS level. digging those Easton grips? only grips i like at this point, and the thick ones are very thick i find.

Yes but I think the geo of the Wreckoning is better. Also the lack of shock options for the Remedy was upsetting.
I like the Eastons a lot. I wish at least one company would make a grip thicker than 33mm.

March 19, 2016, 11:51 p.m.

I freakin love my Following! No issues with QC. I think the Wrekoning will be in the quiver next.

March 20, 2016, 10:11 a.m.

so this is a long travel 29er ??

#northsidetrailbuilders

March 20, 2016, 10:31 a.m.

Nothing better than a single pivot with a linkage driven shock.