The Evil Thread

Oct. 8, 2016, 9:49 a.m.

craw,

Can you give us a report on how you're feeling about the Wreckoning after a full season?
The Wreckoning is a on my short list for a new frame next year.

I'm 6'6" as well and I am curious about what you think of your positioning on the bike for climbing, descending and all round trail slaying.
I'm currently on a Banshee Prime. It's no slouch of a bike but I've been finding lately that I'd like more travel in the rear for how and what I'm riding.

Still loving it.

I tried it in Low and XLow and preferred XLow but losing any STA. So I put some offset bushings in and split the difference. Now I'm set in XLow but am actually riding at about the halfway point between the two settings and it's pretty much perfect.

I haven't had any issues maintenance-wise other than having to tighten my hardware up once. I wrapped the frame in an Invisiframe kit when it was new and then added a bunch of shelter tape on the bottom and sides of the swingarm and down tube after a couple of big impacts. So far so good.

My only request would be a bit steeper STA. At 6'6" I'm running a 170mm Reverb and everything sits really extended because of the short seat tube. Another degree would be great. I'm going to add a climbing switch to the X2 and see if that keeps everything riding a bit steeper while climbing. When traversing or descending it's a non-issue. I don't want to go Talas on my fork because the BB is already very low.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Oct. 8, 2016, 10:21 a.m.

Don't do it, they are breaking and not getting replaced. Buh bye Evil.

Again? 😡

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Oct. 8, 2016, 12:11 p.m.

Don't do it, they are breaking and not getting replaced. Buh bye Evil.

More detail please?

Oct. 8, 2016, 1:41 p.m.

Every person I know with a wreckoning have broken the swingarms.

Oct. 8, 2016, 1:47 p.m.

Every person I know with a wreckoning have broken the swingarms.

Were they JRA? Hard pointy crashes? Did they crack or fully fail?

Oct. 8, 2016, 1:49 p.m.

My only request would be a bit steeper STA. At 6'6" I'm running a 170mm Reverb and everything sits really extended because of the short seat tube. Another degree would be great. I'm going to add a climbing switch to the X2 and see if that keeps everything riding a bit steeper while climbing. When traversing or descending it's a non-issue. I don't want to go Talas on my fork because the BB is already very low.

Thanks for the response.

Are you running the Reverb at the minimum insertion line? That is a concern as I did notice that the seat tube is quite short.
I'm running a 9point8 175mm post on my Prime and it's fantastic to get full pedal height AND the seat low enough to be fully out of the way for descending. The only draw back is that the Banshee seat tube diameter is 30.9 so I don't think I could shim the post well enough for the Wrekoning seat tube diameter at 34.9.
The other concern about the Wreckoning seat tube is whether or not there's enough tube for the length of the 9point8.

My inseam is 37".

Oct. 8, 2016, 2 p.m.

Thanks for the response.

Are you running the Reverb at the minimum insertion line? That is a concern as I did notice that the seat tube is quite short.
I'm running a 9point8 175mm post on my Prime and it's fantastic to get full pedal height AND the seat low enough to be fully out of the way for descending. The only draw back is that the Banshee seat tube diameter is 30.9 so I don't think I could shim the post well enough for the Wrekoning seat tube diameter at 34.9.
The other concern about the Wreckoning seat tube is whether or not there's enough tube for the length of the 9point8.

My inseam is 37".

My inseam is a bit shorter than yours. I'm not running the Reverb at the min insertion line, there's still a bit to spare. Should be easy enough to do the math and figure out if it'll work. I'm 99% sure the 175mm 9.8 will fit as I looked into that myself. They still haven't released the 175 in 34.9 so I'm glad I went with the Reverb, which has been faultless.

Oct. 8, 2016, 2:15 p.m.

Thanks for the response.

My inseam is 37".

never mind

#northsidetrailbuilders

Oct. 8, 2016, 2:17 p.m.

34.9 is the out side measurement , seat post sizes are 30.9 or 31.6 typically .

Most seat posts can be converted to either size .

I have a 31.6 Reverb and Shane at Fluid Function said he could swap the outer tube and make it 30.9 .

Not in this case. The OD of the Reverb is actually 34.9 https://www.sram.com/rockshox/products/reverb

It would be cool if you could upgrade your parts to a bigger tube. Not sure if that's an option for the 9.8 stuff.

Oct. 8, 2016, 3:28 p.m.

I am 6ft and have a 36.5inch inseam.

I rode the large (brother in laws bike) with the stock 60mm stem. JeffsY AL

With the 150mm Reverb the 480mm seattube is sufficient for me. I'd need a 80mm stem though on the large. No-Go.

The XL would work for me with a 150mm dropper, not with a 170mm post though.

I'd triple check seattube length and maximum insertion on the XL at your height!!!

Reach wise the XL would be an option, long seattube though.

Weight distribution is great. It feels lighter than it is. The carbon ones are probably really snappy.

No possibility to test-ride in Canada?

Oct. 8, 2016, 3:30 p.m.

Were they JRA? Hard pointy crashes? Did they crack or fully fail?

Just regular riding, nothing too extreme or weird. Nothing out of the ordinary for a bike like this.

Oct. 8, 2016, 5:55 p.m.

Just regular riding, nothing too extreme or weird. Nothing out of the ordinary for a bike like this.

Weird. Curious to know more about the circumstances. No warranty? Were they offered crash replacement?

Oct. 8, 2016, 6:49 p.m.

I was reading somewhere in my interwebz travels that someone mentioned there are quite a few Evil frames stacked up in Fanatik awaiting warranty. Not sure where I read it, or if it is even true. I sure hope they arent encountering problems like they did before, as I fear it would be the end of them :(

Oct. 8, 2016, 8:13 p.m.

Weird. Haven't read anything on mtbr Evil forum.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Oct. 8, 2016, 10:17 p.m.

I know 4 people with Evil frames. All 4 frames broke and weren't replaced unless money exchanged hands. 100% rate of failure in my circle. You better believe those frames at fanatic are real.