The bike touring / bikepacking thread

May 9, 2016, 3:47 p.m.

trailers are great, but they're not cheap. if you can borrow one, or another time of touring set up, for your first tour, as gotham said, it will help you decide on what you want to invest in down the line. depending on when you are going, i can lend you mine

brooks saddles are no more inherently comfortable than any other saddle, ime. the key is finding a saddle that works for your body type and position on the bike. wtb and specialized both have "fit programs" if you can find a place that runs them. they should be able to help you identify the model and size that works best for you

Thanks for your advice. I might take you up on the trailer rental offer.

As for my saddle, it might not be my chromag saddle as much as it's getting used to being on the saddle for a long time. Most of my rides are 1 to 2 hours and I have no issues there. But the admittedly rare 4 hours and I find my chamois isn't what it should be. I should probably just spend more time in the saddle and get better chamois. I usually use the MEC liners and they're on the thin side. If I find that's not helping I will check out the "fit programs" and have my sit-bones properly measured etc.

May 9, 2016, 4:07 p.m.

of course, the discomfort you are feeling could be because hardtail. maybe on longer, less technical rides you'd be fine?

also, try chamois butter/cream. doesn't work for everyone but I appreciate it for longer rides, esp. one the hardtail

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

July 22, 2016, 11:41 a.m.

Hi guys,

have not really posted in a loooong time due to some minor and major issues that suddenly popped up in my life at the beginning of 2016.

Anyways, I have a sabbatical right now - still 58 weeks of not having to go to work. And I thought a good idea to free my mind, hoping that the rest does eventually follow, would be to ride along the river Rhine from where I am living.

From my area to Cologne, which is about 60 something kilometres mostly on old railroad tracks and bike lanes, from there down South to the Alps. No accomodation so far, since I do not know how many kilometres I can easily ride every day, I hope I can do between 60 - 80 km each day, with a day or two of rest someplace nice.

Always wanted to do this, now is the time.

Starting time will be around 9:00 tomorrow morning CET.

Concerning gear, tools, spare tubes, braking cables, bike lights,etc, along with mostly functional stuff (bibs, socks, jerseys, rain gear) and as little cotton as possible.

Since I intend to stay in B[HTML_REMOVED]Bs and hostels I did not take any more stuff except the necessary. Never done anything like this before - did some massive one day rides, but never for two or three weeks.

Soo excited. And a little nervous.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

July 22, 2016, 3:26 p.m.

Mic!
Happy Trails on your new adventure! Post pics please as I want to do this exact trip as my next Germany cycletour adventure.
Cheers, Dorothy

"only the good riders wipe out on the easy stuff" - Heathen

July 23, 2016, 11 a.m.

First day today. From my hometown to the city of Bonn in roughly 6:30. Half of it in driving summer rains. I did not bother to wear the rain gear since it was around 24 C.

108 km today which took me by surprise.

Let's see how tomorrow is going to be.

I am definutely in high spirits. A really good idea.

[QUOTE=heckler's better 1/2;2922711]Mic!
Happy Trails on your new adventure! Post pics please as I want to do this exact trip as my next Germany cycletour adventure.
Cheers, Dorothy[/QUOTE]

Hi Dorothy,

Consider it done. I just have my mobile with me, so please excuse crappy pics.

I post the images as soon as I am back home.

The route itself is very popular and well marked. Lots of b'n'bs, camp grounds, hostels and hotels.

Apparently there is lots of pittoresque old Europe kind of stuff south of Bonn.

Today's stretch from Cologne to Bonn was ok, through forests along the river and some bleak stretches with heavy industry.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

July 23, 2016, 11:25 a.m.

Mic

Www.WarmShowers.org and forget about paying for accommodations. We had nothing but excellent experiences in northern Germany.

July 23, 2016, 4:43 p.m.

Been there , done that . . . Make sure you turn left when you get to Koblenz .

Don't ask me ( or my wife ! ) how I know . . .

Aug. 4, 2016, 3:29 p.m.

Hi guys,

have not really posted in a loooong time due to some minor and major issues that suddenly popped up in my life at the beginning of 2016.

Anyways, I have a sabbatical right now - still 58 weeks of not having to go to work. And I thought a good idea to free my mind, hoping that the rest does eventually follow, would be to ride along the river Rhine from where I am living.

From my area to Cologne, which is about 60 something kilometres mostly on old railroad tracks and bike lanes, from there down South to the Alps. No accomodation so far, since I do not know how many kilometres I can easily ride every day, I hope I can do between 60 - 80 km each day, with a day or two of rest someplace nice.

Always wanted to do this, now is the time.

Starting time will be around 9:00 tomorrow morning CET.

Concerning gear, tools, spare tubes, braking cables, bike lights,etc, along with mostly functional stuff (bibs, socks, jerseys, rain gear) and as little cotton as possible.

Since I intend to stay in B[HTML_REMOVED]Bs and hostels I did not take any more stuff except the necessary. Never done anything like this before - did some massive one day rides, but never for two or three weeks.

Soo excited. And a little nervous.

How's it going? Are you still on the road a la Willy Nelson or have you completed your mystical journey? Sounds like a great adventure. Hope it was everything you hoped.

Your Canadian Best Friend,
Sir Buster Bluth

Wrong. Always.

Aug. 11, 2016, 5:07 p.m.

anyone have any suggestions for a good bike packing/touring loop in SW BC?

Aug. 11, 2016, 5:51 p.m.

anyone have any suggestions for a good bike packing/touring loop in SW BC?

Yep.

2 days? 2 weeks? 2 months?

On road or off?

Desired level of comfort?

Check out www.crazyguyonabike.com as a fantastic resource of touring journals.

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

Aug. 13, 2016, 1:20 p.m.

Yep.

2 days? 2 weeks? 2 months?

On road or off?

thanks for the reply.

It would be my first try so let's say 2-5 days, could be either on or off road.

Aug. 15, 2016, 6:16 a.m.

Tswassen Ferry Terminal-Saltspring-Crofton-Railgrade to Lake Cowichan-Railgrade to Mill Bay-Swartz Bay-Home (2-3 days) https://vimeo.com/172316214

or

Tswassen Ferry Terminal - Victoria - Black Ball Ferry to Port Angeles - Discovery Trail to Port Towsend - Whitby Island to Anacortes - Bellingham - Home (4 -5 days)

or

Some variation of VikB's Route. Last year I did:
Tswassen Ferry Terminal-Saltspring-Crofton-Cowichan Rivers Campground-Railgrade to just past Kinsol tressle-Logging roads up over the mountains via VikB bike packing route to Sooke - Victoria - Then home via the ferries (4 days)
https://vimeo.com/127387891

vegetarian: an ancient word for "likes to stay home with the ladies…"

Aug. 15, 2016, 10:41 a.m.

Tswassen Ferry Terminal-Saltspring-Crofton-Railgrade to Lake Cowichan-Railgrade to Mill Bay-Swartz Bay-Home (2-3 days) https://vimeo.com/172316214

or

Tswassen Ferry Terminal - Victoria - Black Ball Ferry to Port Angeles - Discovery Trail to Port Towsend - Whitby Island to Anacortes - Bellingham - Home (4 -5 days)

or

Some variation of VikB's Route. Last year I did:
Tswassen Ferry Terminal-Saltspring-Crofton-Cowichan Rivers Campground-Railgrade to just past Kinsol tressle-Logging roads up over the mountains via VikB bike packing route to Sooke - Victoria - Then home via the ferries (4 days)
https://vimeo.com/127387891

Love your videos. Your sister seems fun. Good times.

Wrong. Always.

Aug. 15, 2016, 10:42 a.m.

Haven't heard from Mic for a while. You ok buddy?

Wrong. Always.

Aug. 15, 2016, 3:53 p.m.

You could ride Horseshoe Bay -[HTML_REMOVED] Sunshine Coast -[HTML_REMOVED] Earl's Cove (either on road or on the BC Bike Race Route) -[HTML_REMOVED] Cross over to Powell River side -[HTML_REMOVED] Up to Lund and Back -[HTML_REMOVED] Over to Courtenay -[HTML_REMOVED] Down to Parksville on Hwy 2 which is great (downhill and tailwind usually) -[HTML_REMOVED] Nanaimo back to Horseshoe Bay

That's a long weekend, and you can choose your own adventure as far as food and lodging go.

Want to avoid ferries? Hwy#7 out to Abbotsford. You can stay on Hwy 7 here if you want to, or cycle on backroads in Chilliwack to Bridal Falls. Rejoin Hwy#7 or stay on Hwy#1 to Hope. Cycle the Kettle Valley Railway trail as far as you want/can. Turn around and come home or stay out there until you bus back or hitchhike back. Have fun.

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca