Testes

May 2, 2014, 11:41 a.m.

Also - haven't seen any Rocky Mountain ads lately…sorry bout that…

http://nsmb.com/3332-2009-flatline-unlimited-review/

Note: I am being entirely facetious here - I highly doubt my one review had any major impact on Rocky Mountain's advertising decisions…LOL

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

May 2, 2014, 11:56 a.m.

How about a "best of the used market" series?

Like - what bike from 2-3 years ago is a sleeper deal

What fork from 1-4 years ago

Used bike challenges a la Top Gear - here's $1,000 - buy the best "x-type" of bike, and meet for challenges at the top of "x" trail.

More specific example - spend $1,000 on a bike and meet at the bottom of the Whistler chair lift. Let the challenges begin!

Imagine Seb Kemp, Morgman and Paul Stevens duking it out on budget park bikes…

Reader's rides would also be great to continue.

Pistonheads in the UK do (or at least used to do) a Shed of the Week article that highlighted a bargain looking car from their classifieds for under 1000gbp - something similar picking used bikes out of the classifieds would be a great idea to remind people of all the good stuff that's still out there.

May 3, 2014, 8:08 a.m.

More good reviews from the good group of testers you seem to have now.

Fewer 'gear snapshots' that are just some pictures with captions.

I go to Pinkbike and Bikerumor to get my 'super fresh news' fix, rarely look past the pictures. I come here for sensible discussion about the super fresh news.

I like the idea of the 'bargain bikes challenge' and maybe highlighting a 'deal of the week' in the buynsell might revitalize that place.

I don't put much weight in the opinions of testers that I don't know, maybe some video shot of the tester on the bike. I can bend my elbows and look fast like nobody else for a photo, but am mediocre slow when you see me move.

May 3, 2014, 9:44 a.m.

Note: I am being entirely facetious here - I highly doubt my one review had any major impact on Rocky Mountain's advertising decisions…LOL

Hammerschmidt planetary drive system is something that will be showing up on a lot of bikes.

Yup, you're right. Whatever happened to this game changer called hammerschmidt?

May 3, 2014, 2:16 p.m.

Lots of great ideas here, I have only one:

Never call bike tests "testes" again.

Carry on.

May 3, 2014, 7:07 p.m.

Clydesdale rider specific stuff. Taller and bigger guys and suspension setups, wheels, parts, frames etc. MTBR has some stuff but it's mostly just really big guys trying to lose some lbs. I'd like to hear how those of us who are off the charts for suspension setup have done things, and how different parts are holding up.

Oh and I volunteer to be your California correspondent. :love:

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

May 4, 2014, 8:40 a.m.

Clydesdale rider specific stuff. Taller and bigger guys and suspension setups, wheels, parts, frames etc. MTBR has some stuff but it's mostly just really big guys trying to lose some lbs. I'd like to hear how those of us who are off the charts for suspension setup have done things, and how different parts are holding up.

Oh and I volunteer to be your California correspondent. :love:

Volunteer #2 here.

*edit: Even though I'm tall I'm super curious about any unusual bike setups. I like seeing the process of how an issue was identified and how they resolved it.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

May 4, 2014, 9:44 p.m.

Lots of good suggestions in here.

I particularly liked Morgan's "Good Cheap Gear" review of the Shimano M530 pedal. That could be a great theme for reviews.

May 5, 2014, 5:20 a.m.

Gower killed hammerschmidt. true story

Pastor of Muppets

May 5, 2014, 9:06 a.m.

That's almost worthy of an article!

Or at least it's own thread…

I would guess that the price point was never workable - which would have made it hard to spec as OEM - which would have not seen enough market penetration - which would have lead to too little after-market interest and sales.

If I had the $$ - I'd put one on my Scythe (I'd also put a lighter fork, air shock and carbon wheels on my Scythe - if I had the $$).

My blog - read it!

May 5, 2014, 10:25 a.m.

Lots of great ideas here, I have only one:

Never call bike tests "testes" again.

Carry on.

No promises Tashi.

May 5, 2014, 3:09 p.m.

how about a "dream upgrades" contest?

Readers submit their current bike and the parts they would swap with new.

Set a budget for the upgrades

Winner gets the upgrades and writes / has written an article about the parts that are swapped and the end result.

Kinda the sort of thing lots of people actually do.

I volunteer!

My blog - read it!

May 5, 2014, 8:34 p.m.

ya… Testes is pushing it a bit.. clearly Testcycles is much more appropriate.

I'd like to see more middle of the road components get tested. Hop on PB vital ETC and there a lot on the "newest greatest" being tested.. but not much of the entry level - mid level. Not everybody buys top of the line, so I'd love to see how to the lower end stuff stacks up against each other.

May 5, 2014, 9:10 p.m.

Testycles is excellent!

Good feedback.

May 10, 2014, 5:06 p.m.

I'd like to see more in-depth reader's rides. Include information about riding style, favourite trails, specific and unique bike set up information.

In terms of a bike review wrecking crew, I had a similar conversation with Jason a few months ago about this same topic.

In an ideal world with no restraints, I'd like to see a 5 member wrecking crew. Each member with a slightly different riding background (All mountain, downhill, slope style, weekend warrior etc.). Then, after a period of a couple months, have the wrecking crew give a score on a scale of 1-10. Keep the review short and sweet and include action pictures of each rider shredding.

For example, a wrecking crew review could look like this

Introduction/short biography on each rider/ Include details like typical trails ridden and bike set up information.

Rider's impression. Pros and Cons of the product. Individual score out of 10.

Combined score out of 50. Summary on what kind of rider may appreciate the product. Identify strengths and weaknesses.

If you're looking for a good wrecking crew member, I'd nominate IFO on the board. He's the definition of the seasoned weekend warrior. Knows what he likes, pays for his equipment aka no sponsors, and gives honest feedback.

But if he's reading this, he's probably going to say, "No Sale!" no time to write a review.