Test of Metal - Bike Choice

Jan. 7, 2015, 12:01 p.m.

Yes, hate to pile on, but I've done it 3 times. For some reason I get the itch every 5 years to see if it's as bad as I remember it being. And it always is. Such a boring course with limited and low quality true singletrack compared to the choices in Squamish these days.

Certainly a lightweight XC FS bike would be best just for your back over the longer duration. But a pinner hardtail would be fine.

Last time I did it (3 years ago?), I come into the Plunge, immediately pass 3 people who never even started riding it. They turned onto the Plunge and shouldered their bikes. Then, 2nd switchback, there's a guy dabbing slowly around a corner, I go to pass on the inside and he yells at me to slow down and be careful because I'm going to make him drop his carbon bike. It was ridiculous. I'm not Stevie Smith, but I think I passed about 15 people of that short section of trail. Some friendly about it, others quite grumpy.

What is nice about the race is the conversations you strike up over the course, especially up 5 mile as you slowly spin by people. Lots of good people out there.

What is especially bad, is Jack's trail where people just bog up and you're stuck for WAY too long. Hammer out of the gate and up the road just to minimise the road bikers in front of you when you hit singletrack and the dab-a-thon begins to unfold before you.

Jan. 7, 2015, 12:20 p.m.

What is especially bad, is Jack's trail where people just bog up and you're stuck for WAY too long. Hammer out of the gate and up the road just to minimise the road bikers in front of you when you hit singletrack and the dab-a-thon begins to unfold before you.

What they could try is a staged start like they did once upon a time with riders segregated into their proper skill and age groups, in addition to actually separating the groups with a staggered start, say 1 minute between groups. I did not like being forced to start near the back as an expert Master class and having to go through a lot of riders that had placed their bikes near the front when they were really back markers with no business at the racing end of the pack. Unfortunately when you have a race with a large number of riders, too much single track makes it pack up too much.

I have probably entered and raced 3 or 4 hundred events over the years, road, XC and cross. Some people seem to have a hate on for racing or hate the course because it lacks enough fun factor. Valid criticisms to be sure. But some of these people seem to think racing is only about riding fun trails in a group but that is only a small part of it. Racing is about seeing how hard you can go, testing oneself against others, setting goals and meeting them.

For me the TOM was about trying to do well in my age and skill group. managed to get fifth a couple times. Best time was 3:25 or something.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Jan. 7, 2015, 12:20 p.m.

I'm doing it for the first and probably only time this year. I know it's shit but I'm tired of saying its shit without having experienced the shitness first hand.

I'll be on a Camber Evo C but I'll happily borrow a 22lb Epic etc if anyone has one spare.

Awesome!

I am going to be the dissenting voice here. but I am biased. I simply love riding my bike on anything. I also absolutely love the Plunge. its unique and entertaining. Also, racing kind-of-sucks - the first 15 minutes is usually a mental battle where my mind is telling me "this really, really sucks".

I used to be one of those people that looked at the Test - and thought "idiots". Finally bit the bullet one year and signed up for it. It is one of the few races where spectators come out in droves. Cow bells, and screaming in many spots. That atmosphere takes the race to a next level in my books.

The course is not all that bad. Riders now follow a dirt bike trail down from 9 mile (huge improvement). As well racing and training for the the test and nimby 50, results in me having legs for more fun endeavors.

As far as bike - race whippet, if you can borrow one. I have cracked the top 60 a couple of times on bigger bikes (instinct, enduro) but I hate pedaling those bikes in a race (and need it to rain heavily to get a good result).

Every year this thread shows up and people state - the race is terrible. Try it once then decide.

Note - you have to sprint at the start!!! IF not you are going to get frustrated with the traffic on jacks and dead end loop.

Jan. 7, 2015, 1:35 p.m.

Banshee Paradox with ZTR Crest rims and Racing Ralphs mounted tubeless. Not going to bother with a dropper post (sounds like it isn't needed, but will qr for the plunge.)

Wrong. Always.

Jan. 7, 2015, 3:46 p.m.

Last time I did it (3 years ago?), I come into the Plunge, immediately pass 3 people who never even started riding it. They turned onto the Plunge and shouldered their bikes. Then, 2nd switchback, there's a guy dabbing slowly around a corner

Awesome I love carving up XC muppets. I'll use my new "Enduro racer coming through" shout!

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

Jan. 7, 2015, 7:53 p.m.

Wow, looks like I hit a nerve. Really did not intend to have this thread go this way. Props to the long time board members for providing honest opinions ( both good and bad). Gives me a much better idea of what to expect.

I did do a search of the site before posting this thread and did not come up with any of this information.

Thanks for the words of encouragement Bradical but I would lying if I said I did not want to see what you posted before the edit. Must of been good.

Jan. 7, 2015, 8:28 p.m.

What races do people recommend if they don't recommend TOM? I've been riding two summers and have only done the Whistler toonies before.

Jan. 7, 2015, 8:55 p.m.

What races do people recommend if they don't recommend TOM? I've been riding two summers and have only done the Whistler toonies before.

There is no doubt that Test If Metal Inc puts on a great event… It's just the course is totally un-inspiring.

Both Gear Jammer and JABR have more interesting courses. I believe JABR uses Fred's and WOM which are both great trails.

I've done the Ore Crusher and while the course isn't especially great from a trails perspective you are pinned 100% and it definitely feels like racing -- limited choke points and lots of passing//being passed.

Nimby50 is awesome too, both for the challenge and also the environment after.

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

Jan. 7, 2015, 9:05 p.m.

Wow, looks like I hit a nerve. Really did not intend to have this thread go this way. Props to the long time board members for providing honest opinions ( both good and bad). Gives me a much better idea of what to expect.

I did do a search of the site before posting this thread and did not come up with any of this information.

Thanks for the words of encouragement Bradical but I would lying if I said I did not want to see what you posted before the edit. Must of been good.

Haha,

Post was the same , I just felt I should express some additional encouragement as it seems lame to be negative ( as my post could tend to sound) about anything that pertains to a bike ride.
Time on a bike is time on a bike and that in itself is awesome.

Jan. 7, 2015, 9:48 p.m.

Ridden it the last 3 years:

I ride it on a 20lb hardtail. Really the only sketchy section is the Powerhouse Plunge. And I agree with Tom i'm getting pretty sick of riding that rocky hellpit. It's ok when you aren't racing, but when you're pinning it for a few hours then need to focus on the plunge it's tough. I've had good/bad times on it during the races. But the hardtail can track through it and with a decent set of rubber its ok.

I'd suggest the lightest bike you can handle. And then make sure you have beefy tires (2.25") that ROLL well (Ardent/Icon or Rocket ron/Ralph) combinations. Any suspension over a XC bike is definately overkill.

Good luck on the race!

Jan. 7, 2015, 10:23 p.m.

I've raced it a few times and done it for the last two years mainly as I had a time goal that I wanted to beat. It is more of an event that a race that you do for the trail themselves, some of the other Squamish races are better if you want singletrack.

But… It is fun carving past xc racers on the technical parts and also seeing the whole town come out to cheer on some crazy mountain bikers is pretty cool.

As for a bike… Whatever you are comfortable on. I raced my Tallboy LTC last year, mainly as I wanted something that would compensate for being tired on the plunge. A shorter travel machine is what you want, something like the Rocky Altitiude would be good. I would be tempted to race it on my Chromag Surface if I were at all tempted to race again.

Jon-boy.

Jan. 24, 2015, 11:27 p.m.

I am missing it this year and I am kind of bummed out by it. It's been 9yrs straight and the atmosphere is what makes it a great event.

There isn't a race it there that gets the community or the same way.

The trails are not exciting, but they do sort riders out. And for all the whining about having to pass roadies, they are in better shape than you and will pass you again after the plunge!

The plunge is technical but over quick and has been buffed out over the lazy couple years. A hardtail well so if your back is up to it.

Jan. 25, 2015, 7:01 a.m.

The Test is the Grouse Grind of mountain bike racing.

We have so many good events in this province, especially with the BC Enduro series. For me I couldn't imagine racing the Test when really fun racing is going on pretty much everywhere.

Jan. 25, 2015, 7:06 a.m.

We have so many good events in this province, especially with the BC Enduro series. For me I couldn't imagine racing the Test when really fun racing is going on pretty much everywhere.

You are comparing apples to oranges here.

While I don't care much for the course (compared to other marathon XC courses in the area), I will echo what others have said about the atmosphere. The road section at the start lined with tons of people cheering is unlike anything I have experienced in mountain bike racing.

Jan. 25, 2015, 8:52 a.m.

I think that's a fair comment in terms of why most people do the two. Many do it to compare times with friends and others and themselves in years past.

In terms of course quality not so much. Enduro's are all about the down. XC is about climbing and descending and having enough places where faster riders can pass. A racers perspective is different from a participants perspective too. I think some of those that are disparaging the course are doing so from the perspective of a participant. From a racing perspective it is a good long hard course but it has become more focused on the participant now.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.