Technique - videos, articles, instructors

July 15, 2015, 10:19 a.m.

I am starting to get frustrated with my abilities. While I enjoy riding I think I'm picking up bad habits and my form is suffering.

I have started to fight through this by going back to flat pedals. Thinking of scraping the dawg shite of the shoe helps for a smoother pedal stroke.

But I need more work. I want to improve my cornering ability. I know it's steering with the hips, pointing the flashlight, looking down the trail. But dammit some days I'm better than others. I want to improve wheelies, manuals, bunnyhops, track stands. But mostly just improve my confidence.

Anyway, there are a LOT of videos and articles out there. Which ones work best for you?

I might resort to some one on one training. Also I should probably spend some time at the pump track, dirt jumps and those little parks with the features.

Wrong. Always.

July 15, 2015, 10:42 a.m.

I like these guys: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_A--fhX5gea0i4UtpD99Gg

Videos are high quality production, concise and the guys explain things well. They have wheelie, nose manual and other vids if you search.

July 15, 2015, 11:14 a.m.

I like the one that teaches you how to do a manual. Good one.

"You know what's wrong with Vancouver? You can't pee off of your own balcony without getting in trouble"
- Phil Gordon

July 15, 2015, 1:07 p.m.

Thanks. Those look good. Reps for the both of ye.

Wrong. Always.

July 15, 2015, 3:36 p.m.

After all these years, I still suck at cornering. Tempted to go out and ride bobsled till my legs give out. I usually ride slower trails that aren't great for learning proper cornering. I know the theory behind cornering, but in practice everything happens so fast. Saying that, I guess I should slow down and focus more on the technique. Watching cornering videos makes me so jelly lol :smokey:

July 15, 2015, 3:44 p.m.

https://vimeo.com/103455459

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

July 15, 2015, 4:34 p.m.

Watch every instructional video you can.

Once you realize that was a collosal waste of time, find some riders waaaay better than you to ride with,watch what they do and learn to keep up with them

Pastor of Muppets

July 15, 2015, 5:42 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gF5K9V2w6W8

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

July 15, 2015, 5:49 p.m.

Cornering…..
Head to a pump track a few times a week, learning how to "pump " , creating acceleration over rollers and in and out of corners will help .

July 15, 2015, 8:55 p.m.

Bathe or you'll wash out. It's a good acronym for cornering basics.

B - Brake before the corner
A - Angulate the bike, not your body (ideally just before you enter the corner)
T - Twist your hips (I find pointing knees works well too, don't dump your shoulders)
H - Hand pressure - Weight on your outside hand, extend the inside arm
E - Extend your legs through the corner (i.e. push through the turn, heels down)

In that order. Get range of motion before moving on to add next step.

Not the only way to approach cornering, but it works for intermediates to elites.

July 15, 2015, 9:04 p.m.

This is good. Thanks for the advice so far b

Wrong. Always.

July 15, 2015, 9:35 p.m.

ride with better riders and try hard to keep up… it's a race yo.

haha. just went back and read this

Watch every instructional video you can.

Once you realize that was a collosal waste of time, find some riders waaaay better than you to ride with,watch what they do and learn to keep up with them

really though. It's the best way. also stop and school on something that's hard, scary or fun. Ride harder trails… always try climb warden's trail. always

July 15, 2015, 10:38 p.m.

Bathe or you'll wash out. It's a good acronym for cornering basics.

B - Brake before the corner
A - Angulate the bike, not your body (ideally just before you enter the corner)
T - Twist your hips (I find pointing knees works well too, don't dump your shoulders)
H - Hand pressure - Weight on your outside hand, extend the inside arm
E - Extend your legs through the corner (i.e. push through the turn, heels down)

In that order. Get range of motion before moving on to add next step.

Not the only way to approach cornering, but it works for intermediates to elites.

Missing one critical step : GET LOW! So many riders sit up too high and rigid instead of getting low. Not only does lower your center of mass but it adds a ton of grip because your arms and legs are bent and supple.

July 16, 2015, 8:07 a.m.

Confidence comes from ride time. If you can pull it off, try going to the whistler bike park. You can re-ride trails and work on specific skills, or slowly build up to riding more challenging terrain.

July 16, 2015, 11 a.m.

Missing one critical step : GET LOW! So many riders sit up yo high and rigid instead of getting low. Not only does lower your center of mass but it adds a ton of grip because your arms and legs are bent and supple,

I was mucking around on gravel trails today and this seems to help the most. Focus on the BATH and really getting the butt low and knees bent. If I stayed high, the front would wash out easier. Squat and it rails.