Tannus Tubeless - Is it Just Me???

Oct. 12, 2022, 2:11 p.m.

I've been using Cushcore Pro for 3 years. Have installed and removed them more times than you can shake a stick at and am on my 2nd or 3rd set. I also used Cushcore XC on one wheelset for a while. I'm very comfortable installing these things and the installs go according to plan and turn out well pretty much every single time. Occasionally I get a small wobble post-Cushcore install, which I can easily remedy by breaking the bead seal, wetting the bead area with soapy water and hitting it with my compressor. Problem solved pretty much every time. 

I've also been using Tannus Tubeless for about 1.5 years. I have 2 problems with the Tannus Tubeless that I pretty much never get with Cushcore.

Problem 1: I get a wobble after mounting Tannus Tubeless waaaaaay too often. What seems like at least 50% of the time I do get the wobble, my usual break the bead seal, lube it up and hit it with the compressor again doesn't fix the issue (nor does massaging / wrangling the insert back and forth by hand). When I can't get the wobble to go away, I'll typically re-mount the tire without the insert just to make sure it isn't the tire causing the problem. I'm having this issue now and am certain it isn't a wonky tire / stretched casing. Anyone else experience this problem with Tannus Tubeless? I can't figure out why I'm not having this problem with other inserts.

Problem 2: Another thing that only happens to me with Tannus Tubeless is that the insert blocks the valve (using regular valves, not the Cushcore style ones drilled on the sides). I go to let some air out of the tires and nothing happens because the insert has somehow moved and blocked the opening. It isn't a sealant issue and the quick fix is the remove the valve core and jam a 3mm allen key up the valve to push the insert out of the way to let the air out. Anyone else notice that this is a recurring issue with the Tannus Tubeless insert design? I'll try using Cuschcore valves to see if that improves things but Tannus is pretty clear in their manuals that special valves aren't necessary.

FWIW rims are all 30mm internal. 

Is it just me?

Oct. 12, 2022, 2:24 p.m.

Posted by: Bushpilot

Is it just me?

I haven't had any issues with Tannus Tubeless of 2 bikes for a combined 3 years of use. I've installed a few other sets on customer bikes without any setup issues. On those I have not rec'd any longer term feedback.

My bikes are all 30mm IW rims and 29 x 2.6" tires.

Oct. 12, 2022, 2:56 p.m.

Posted by: Vikb

Is it just me?

I haven't had any issues with Tannus Tubeless of 2 bikes for a combined 3 years of use. I've installed a few other sets on customer bikes without any setup issues. On those I have not rec'd any longer term feedback.

My bikes are all 30mm IW rims and 29 x 2.6" tires.

I wonder if I got a wonky set of Tannus inserts? That might explain why I'm only having problems with the Tannus ones. I'll have to inspect them more carefully.

Oct. 12, 2022, 3:29 p.m.

I've seen problem 2 before with Tannus + regular valve. I would just use the cushcore valves.

Oct. 12, 2022, 4:20 p.m.

I wonder if I got a wonky set of Tannus inserts? That might explain why I'm only having problems with the Tannus ones. I'll have to inspect them more carefully.

If you haven't done so might be worth shooting Tannus an email and see if they've got any useful feedback. My sample size is fairly small and there is a fair amount of variation between tire + rim combos. I'm about to install two new tires for winter on the wheels with TT inserts in them. If I run into any issues I'll report back here.

Oct. 12, 2022, 6:32 p.m.

I definitely have problem #2 on my Tannus, but just the rear one.  The front one is fine. I do the same, remove the valve core and stuff an allen key in the valve to release the pressure and then re-inflate. Its only annoying as I cant check the air pressure with a gauge. It still accepts air with a pump however. How do Cushcore valves differ from the Stan's valves I currently use?

Oct. 12, 2022, 7:32 p.m.

I had the wonky tires but the valves were fine. Thing is the line moulded into the sidewall was equidistant all the way round. I blamed the Maxxis tires at the time. Maybe it was the inserts?

Oct. 12, 2022, 7:57 p.m.

I found in tires 2.5” or smaller I had issues with Tannus and wobbles. 2.6” no probs (so far anyway).

No issues with valve stems but the little cutout has to be well aligned with the valve.

Oct. 13, 2022, 9:30 a.m.

I've run Tannus front and back on my hardtail for the last 2 years. 

I've had problem #1 once, and that was solved by remounting the tire and being more careful to make sure the insert is in it's proper home. 

I've had problem #2 a few times (regular valves), and it' pretty annoying. I use the allen key method.

Oct. 15, 2022, 6:46 a.m.

Cushcore (and some other) valves have the holes in the sides. So the insert can’t block airflow.

Google images in your friend here.

Last edited by: neilBar on Oct. 15, 2022, 6:47 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 16, 2022, 4:44 a.m.

I‘ve had both problems with my Tannus on several occasions. The wobble issue got worse the older my insert with lots of sticky residue got. I blamed the tires or the rims, but without the insert, no trouble, no wobble.

Aside from that I found that the Tannus inserts to work pretty well at regular pressures. No flats.

Because I was fed up with the hassle I went to DH front and Enduro casing rear on the new Continental tires and ride them without any insert, same pressures. Rides great, no flats under harsh conditions and riding so far. Fingers crossed.

@Neil bar: I tried several different valve types with the Tannus inserts, the ones you mentioned also clogged after time. I suspect it might be that the Tannus traps a certain amount of sealant in its „quarter tire“ chambers. Clogging was in direct causality with brand of sealant for me as well. The ones which seal well also clogged well.

Last edited by: Znarf on Oct. 16, 2022, 4:48 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 20, 2022, 10:35 a.m.

Funny I was swapping my tires on my bike with a Tannus insert in the rear and had problem #2. I couldn't get the air out. Pulled the valve core. Still nothing. Finally a 2mm hex did the trick. Then I realized it was my front wheel that didn't have the insert. I'm fairly generous with my sealant and it just plugged the bottom of the valve. Checked the rear with the insert and air comes out fine. Go figure!

No issue with the valve on the rear wheel and the new tire went on easily with no wobble. I have to say I don't understand the business model with these inserts as they look pretty much new after quite a bit of use. Feels like I'll get 5-10 years out of them unless something odd happens. I'm not sad about that sort of service life, but if I ran a company that mostly sold inserts that's not going to make for a lot of repeat business!

Last edited by: Vikb on Oct. 20, 2022, 4:23 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 21, 2022, 11:40 a.m.

I find the same thing with my Tannus inserts. They look pretty new every time I take them out to replace tires (I swap front-to-back as they wear, so swapping is relatively often). I do clean them off pretty good, which helps, but they don't seem to degrade very much at all.