Tannus inserts are ordered.

Aug. 7, 2020, 11:16 p.m.

Posted by: JBV

^^ i bet you're the life of the party kinda guy eh.

you'd be surprised.

casual observations tell me the trails are getting moar hammered these days tho and watching riding edits with how guys rips down the trails there seems to be a connection. just a random thought for today.

Aug. 7, 2020, 11:40 p.m.

^Likely those time restrained e-biking dipshits doing trail damage.

Aug. 8, 2020, 7:44 a.m.

Posted by: syncro

Posted by: andy-eunson

Posted by: syncro

Doesn’t improved grip and higher cornering speeds = more trail damage/erosion?

Speed for an old man like me is a relative thing. And more grip equals less sliding equals less trail damage.

my comment wasn't directed at you specifically, just a general observation.

as for the erosion part, just because more grip may equal less sliding that doesn't mean less trail damage. more grip and higher speeds means the tire digs into the dirt more which equals more stress on the trail bed and more erosion.

Ya, I’ve switched to barefoot hiking now. Trails couldn’t hold up to my speeds these days.

Aug. 8, 2020, 8:51 a.m.

Posted by: JBV

^^ i bet you're the life of the party kinda guy eh.

Don’t see anything wrong with his approach to be honest. It’s a valid question. I don’t think he’s necessarily correct though. I think better traction will always lead to less skidding. Less skidding equals less wear and tear on the trail. People slide corners when they have exceeded the limits of traction. Or they are doing those silly skidding turns in berms so as to throw dirt and make an easy trail look hard. Oh I know skiddy skiddy is stylish. Says who? The same people that say acid wash flared jeans are cool?

Last edited by: andy-eunson on Aug. 8, 2020, 6:06 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 8, 2020, 10:02 a.m.

If you look at how easy trials motos are on trails the answer may be no Mark. Improved grip means less sliding as well.

Had my second ride on these yesterday and I’ve been blown away. I think there is a lot more going on than the Tannus PR indicates. It seems the insert acts like suspension and when there is an impact to the tire it increases pressure so air that is within the insert stays put until it is slowly released by the 4 slits. It acts a little like Procore st first and it allows outrageously low pressures to provide ample support.

I’ll have to check but I think I was under 14 psi front and rear on a top to bottom that included TNT and Cambodia yesterday. Sidewall support and grip are ridiculous. And this was with DHR2s with exo casings.

All this for 160 grams. I was on Rimpacts before this and they are very good aside from the sidewall support, but they don’t come close to the new Tannus.

Last edited by: [email protected] on Aug. 8, 2020, 10:03 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 8, 2020, 11:05 a.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

If you look at how easy trials motos are on trails the answer may be no Mark. Improved grip means less sliding as well.

Had my second ride on these yesterday and I’ve been blown away. I think there is a lot more going on than the Tannus PR indicates. It seems the insert acts like suspension and when there is an impact to the tire it increases pressure so air that is within the insert stays put until it is slowly released by the 4 slits. It acts a little like Procore st first and it allows outrageously low pressures to provide ample support.

I’ll have to check but I think I was under 14 psi front and rear on a top to bottom that included TNT and Cambodia yesterday. Sidewall support and grip are ridiculous. And this was with DHR2s with exo casings.

All this for 160 grams. I was on Rimpacts before this and they are very good aside from the sidewall support, but they don’t come close to the new Tannus.

That's high praise. Can you compare to cushcore? Is there a new insert to rule them all?

Aug. 8, 2020, 11:26 a.m.

Physics suggest that higher forces are generated in corners (and under braking). This seems to support my thinking higher speeds in corners will result in more force transferred to the trail surface, and more force transferred to the trail bed is going to increase erosion whether the tire is slipping or not. I'm thinking beyond slipping or skidding here and what's happening to a permeable surface such as a dirt trail as the the forces acting upon it increase - increased erosion. It's been a while since I've done any physics but from what I remember from kinematics this seems accurate. It's not just tire inserts to consider, but improved tires/compounds, better brakes, improved suspension and better geometry have all allowed us to go faster on the trails. More speed = more force = more erosion. Re trials motos, it's something I've thought about before but you've also go a tire that's about 3-4 times as wide as an mtb tire which distributes the force over a greater surface area which could help create less erosion. Maybe someone who uses physics to determine forces on a regular basis could chime in as to what's happening.

Or maybe the question of whether faster cornering speeds increase erosion or not may be best answered with a pic from the article?

Last edited by: syncro on Aug. 8, 2020, 11:31 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 8, 2020, 11:42 a.m.

Trials bike also don,t see the lean angles. That dirt bike and MTB,s see on the trail.

Going back to the inserts. These have peaked me the most. See how more like them as they get out there.

Aug. 9, 2020, 6:33 p.m.

Many years ago, a German magazine did a comparison test of plus tires vs ‘normal’ tires and normal tires with Procore inserts.

In many aspects, the Procore set up performed similar to the plus sized tire.

It sounds like @Cam is running plus-like pressures with these in skinny tires.

It would be great to see some comparative testing of 2.4, 2.6 and 2.8 inch tires with inserts (these or Cushcore) in the narrower widths.

Last edited by: Tjaardbreeuwer on Aug. 11, 2020, 11:41 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Typo
Aug. 18, 2020, 10:58 a.m.

curious if you got them yet? if so, would be cool to get your review on them once you open them up

Aug. 19, 2020, 12:32 p.m.

Posted by: ehfour

curious if you got them yet? if so, would be cool to get your review on them once you open them up

Not here yet. The tracking app indicates they are in Vancouver as of last night. Actually the app placed them in Northern Saskatchewan about 200km above Flin Flon. Weird. Looking forward to them.

Aug. 20, 2020, 4:55 p.m.

Arrived today and mounted after lunch. Instal not too bad. I needed levers to get the last bit of bead on, injected sealant in the valve and easy pump up with my floor pump. The second was easier and I didn’t need a lever to get the tire on at all. I poured the sealant in the second time. But. The tires are a bit wiggly. Bontrager Line 30 rims with the Bontrager rim strip and Assegai EXO tires. The rim strip might be the issue? I’ll do more fiddling tonight. Anyway I just got back from a ride in the wet and I think they are good.  12 front 15 rear which is about 5 lower than normal. Felt like my last ride in the dry but more damped. I didn’t notice the added weight but I didn’t think I would either. Only an extra 300 grams or so. Need more time on them and more pressure experimentation too.