Taco Bash Guard Strength?

April 29, 2012, 12:30 p.m.

How strong are the new school "Taco" bash guards? Are they just for looks or can they take a hit? From a hardwood log pile, rock roll in or concrete ledge. With the new 11-36 rear set I mite go single up front.

is going big on a bike the only way to get you stoked on the sport? what happened to riding with your bros, travelling, and riding unique places, to get people stoked on riding?

fines are useless. there needs to be more punches to the throat.

April 29, 2012, 9:55 p.m.

Taco guards are burly as hell. I've hit my G2 many times, on many things, and it's been fine. The thing with the E13 and MRP G2 isn't the taco, it's the guides themselves that aren't very good….Little more finiky to set up. The e13 is alright at best and the MRP has a few quirks that make it annoying to maintain.

Best guide is the Straitline one, hands down. it's simple, light, reliable, and has next to no drag. It's also way easier to set up. Get that one.

April 30, 2012, 6:37 a.m.

^This… Straitline.

April 30, 2012, 11:07 a.m.

It's not the taco bash that is weak, its the frames ISCG tabs that most often aren't designed to absorb a direct hit

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

April 30, 2012, 2:01 p.m.

It's not the taco bash that is weak, its the frames ISCG tabs that most often aren't designed to absorb a direct hit

I have heard that. If one is to use a taco bash, it is best if it attaches under the bb cup.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

April 30, 2012, 2:03 p.m.

The thing with the E13 and MRP G2 isn't the taco, it's the guides themselves that aren't very good….

Best guide is the Straitline one, hands down.

Funny, I found the opposite to be true for me. The LG1+ was flawless in the 2 years I used it - easy to set up with not a single chain issue.

Then I switched to a Mini G2 SL (frame fit issues) and the lower roller seemed to have a lot more drag. Maybe I just noticed it more having spent lots more time on the XC bike. Or maybe it needed more time to break in. I might use this one again without the lower roller.

So then I switched to the Straitline and it was quieter/smoother, but its less than ideal if you're running less than a 36t ring. A 34t might be OK but with a 32t there is enough vertical space in the top guide for the chain can bounce. So I've had a couple minor jams. Still a really good guide but something to keep in mind. On a 'taco' style guide, you can set everything really tight assuming you've got the right backplate.

But to answer the 'taco' questions - yeah, they take a beating and they supposedly have break-away bolts to prevent frame damage. No idea what would happen on a hard concrete ledge impact though.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

April 30, 2012, 3:16 p.m.

Straitline does make a 32t specific guide. Myself and countless others on here are running it

April 30, 2012, 4:38 p.m.

Straitline does make a 32t specific guide. Myself and countless others on here are running it

Yep, I am also running the 32t version…

April 30, 2012, 4:57 p.m.

^^^ you're not thinking of the 32-36t version? Thats the size I'm talking about. I don't see a 32t specific version.

April 30, 2012, 6:57 p.m.

Nope, its real:

http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=141802

Of course I don't see it on the Straitline website, but its 32t specific.

May 1, 2012, 12:14 a.m.

Not sure if it's on the Straitline site but it's listed in the Orange Sports Catalog and the ISCG and ISCG 05 part numbers are mixed up.

May 3, 2012, 12:56 p.m.

Nope, its real:

http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=141802

Of course I don't see it on the Straitline website, but its 32t specific.

hahaha and I even posted in that thread

Damn I woulda bought the correct version if I had known (or remembered i guess) that it existed. I should be slagging their website instead of their guide.

I see that gamut is copying the rollerless design

May 3, 2012, 2:04 p.m.

No need to worry about the strength of a Taco-style bashguard. In fact after running a Straitline Silent Guide on my DH bike for a few weeks now, I'm actually thinking about switching back to the e13 LG1. In my opinion the LG1 sheds mud a little better and the Taco is quite a bit thicker, so when the guide hits the ground, the LG1 slides over the ground as opposed to getting stuck in the ground. Since I started running the Silent Guide, the guide got sorta stuck in the ground when I expected it to slide over it instead. So for DH purposes, I'd steer towards the current e13 LG1. Setup isn't that difficult either!

That being said though, I absolutely LOVE the 32t-specific Silent Guide on my Spitfire. I couldn't be any happier. The design is fantastic and I can't see any drawbacks to the Silent Guide on that kind of bike. If you plan on pedalling uphill every now and then, get the Silent Guide for sure. If the bike is for lift-assisted riding and racing only, get an LG1.