Suspension Therapy

June 3, 2013, 8:36 a.m.

Good to hear he's on the doorstep of returning. I'll wait, then, since I'm on said list.

As for setting it up myself, absolutely have tried, and I just can't get it feeling "right". It's a Boxxer WC, and the fork is just too good to not feel absolutely perfect…and I've had that feeling before, so yes, I want it again. I've come to the point where I'd just rather place it in the hands of a pro.

So, maybe you're great at dialling your own forks, Brother Lu, maybe not, and you're just happy w/ a sub-standard set-up or can't tell the differences…if you're actually that good, well, full props, but if you are as good as I am, and are just happy with the fork being OK, well…not what I'm after.

In my case, I just screw around with the pressure, rebound and compression so much that it never feels good since the front and rear are unbalanced. What I get from Arthur is that he sets it up as it should be. Then I can accept it and adjust my riding style to the bike.

June 3, 2013, 8:39 a.m.

Bingo- you're articulated better than I did. That is what I'm after. Besides, it's not like his prices are out to lunch…very reasonable.

***Disclaimer: this post is in no way, shape, or form intended to insult anybody, anything, any animal, any lifeform, or non lifeform, or otherwise, of any kind.

June 3, 2013, 9:39 p.m.

Bingo- you're articulated better than I did. That is what I'm after. Besides, it's not like his prices are out to lunch…very reasonable.

Another side to that is tire pressure. I absolutely cannot have a decent ride if my tire pressure is over 20psi.

June 3, 2013, 10:03 p.m.

I absolutely cannot have a decent ride if my tire pressure is over 20psi.

JESUS! what kind of tires are you running? on the shore i can't ride with any kind of confidence with less than 30psi in my rear tire for fear of constant pinch flats, and i'm a buck fifty after a big meal and no coffee

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

June 3, 2013, 10:30 p.m.

20 pounds pressure? aren't you rolling tires off the rims and wallowing around? i can't imagine riding at speed with under 25 or more.

June 3, 2013, 10:38 p.m.

20 pounds pressure? aren't you rolling tires off the rims and wallowing around? i can't imagine riding at speed with under 25 or more.

It is tough to keep wheels round if you run 25PSI or lower. I dented the crap out of a wheel on its first ride on Neds. I bumped pressure to 32 PSI rear and 30PSI front and way better wheel durability. The traction didn't suffer.

June 3, 2013, 11:04 p.m.

Good to hear he's on the doorstep of returning. I'll wait, then, since I'm on said list.

As for setting it up myself, absolutely have tried, and I just can't get it feeling "right". It's a Boxxer WC, and the fork is just too good to not feel absolutely perfect…and I've had that feeling before, so yes, I want it again. I've come to the point where I'd just rather place it in the hands of a pro.

So, maybe you're great at dialling your own forks, Brother Lu, maybe not, and you're just happy w/ a sub-standard set-up or can't tell the differences…if you're actually that good, well, full props, but if you are as good as I am, and are just happy with the fork being OK, well…not what I'm after.

Well if you're that particular you might want to start by swapping the air spring for a coil…

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

June 4, 2013, 6:42 a.m.

30psi in my Minions; I don't care about your opinions.

June 4, 2013, 9:18 a.m.

Depends what you weigh, how fat the tires are and where and how you ride. I tend to ride at least 2.25 at 20 to 25 psi front and rear the same psi. I do check now and again and find that I was below 20 because I was lazy and didn't check. I weigh 145 or so these days. Tubeless only and I do bottom out from time to time. Oh and single wall tires only. I don't care for heavy DH tires but at the same time I will stay away from super thin XC race tires like S Works or the super light Schwalbe tires. I have torn the really thin tires in the past. The light tires just climb so much better and the bike is more playful going down with light tires.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

June 4, 2013, 1:10 p.m.

front and rear the same psi.

really? not softer up front?

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

June 4, 2013, 1:48 p.m.

what happened to Arther?sad to hear he had a tough injury.

truly one of the good guys

June 4, 2013, 2:07 p.m.

what happened to Arther?sad to hear he had a tough injury.

truly one of the good guys

Bad crash about a year ago while racing Enduro in Oregon. Hit his head hard and suffered a bad concussion. He's just now able to get back to work/riding.

June 4, 2013, 5:48 p.m.

really? not softer up front?

Some weird set-ups going on in this thread.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

June 5, 2013, 9:20 a.m.

Depends what you weigh, how fat the tires are and where and how you ride. I tend to ride at least 2.25 at 20 to 25 psi front and rear the same psi. I do check now and again and find that I was below 20 because I was lazy and didn't check. I weigh 145 or so these days. Tubeless only and I do bottom out from time to time. Oh and single wall tires only. I don't care for heavy DH tires but at the same time I will stay away from super thin XC race tires like S Works or the super light Schwalbe tires. I have torn the really thin tires in the past. The light tires just climb so much better and the bike is more playful going down with light tires.

:crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy:

Im the same weight as you…tubeless as well and Im sorry to say this but single plys with 20 PSI WILL roll off the rim.Not only that ,they will also behave like crap while cornering.The reason why you dont care for heavy DH tires might be because you're arent really pushing those tires real hard…20 psi with soft foldable sidewalls at high speed isnt gonna hold up very long for me in Whistler…Might sorta kinda work OK for uphill riding XC, no way it works that well going down.

Im glad Arthur is feeling better, awesome guy.

June 5, 2013, 10:15 a.m.

Depends on the rider tuumbaq. Ride with Kim Steed and you'll see alarmingly low psi. I run mid 20s for faster rockier rides. Less for technical slow speed stuff especially in the wet. Some tires like Ardents seem to work better firmer. Wider rims also help with lower psi's. For sure too soft will squirm. Like I said it happens when I am too lazy to check my psi. Then I stop mid ride and air up a bit.

I think when a person rides higher psi that lower front works. But at low psi you will bottom out at either end easily so I think I run sort of a minimum at either end.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.