Suspension Therapy

May 30, 2013, 4:52 p.m.

Hey guys.

Can anyone recommend someone that is as good or close to Arthur @ Suspension Therapy for setting up a ride?

I've done the best I can w/ my rides, and have settled on the fact I need a pro. It doesn't look like Arthur will be ready to come back to work anytime soon, unfortunately, and I need to get my nearly new big bike dialled.

Any recommendations would be great.

***Disclaimer: this post is in no way, shape, or form intended to insult anybody, anything, any animal, any lifeform, or non lifeform, or otherwise, of any kind.

May 30, 2013, 5:36 p.m.

arthur will be up and running soon

May 30, 2013, 5:38 p.m.

That's been the case for a while…though I'm really empathetic to his situation- recovering from a concussion isn't easy- I really want to get my bike dialled.

Any recommedations? Anyone?

***Disclaimer: this post is in no way, shape, or form intended to insult anybody, anything, any animal, any lifeform, or non lifeform, or otherwise, of any kind.

May 30, 2013, 6:59 p.m.

That's been the case for a while…though I'm really empathetic to his situation- recovering from a concussion isn't easy- I really want to get my bike dialled.

Any recommedations? Anyone?

James did a decent job before Arthur was around. Maybe give him a try?

May 30, 2013, 11:57 p.m.

Arthur is literally right around the corner from coming back to work. In fact I'm going to help him with a project tomorrow in Whistler.

flickr

May 31, 2013, 5:31 a.m.

Arthur is literally right around the corner from coming back to work. In fact I'm going to help him with a project tomorrow in Whistler.

That's great news!!

May 31, 2013, 9:49 a.m.

I hope you are right. But my wife has not worked for over 6 years and is not likely to ever work again from her concussion. And another good friend can work but he's just able to ride really easy and its been over three years.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

May 31, 2013, 10:06 a.m.

Have you tried setting it up yourself?

I found that there is plenty of information available on the web to set up forks and rear shocks. I started with the "recommended settings". Then still at home, made minor adjustments so my front and rear sag was "correct"

I found a great resource on the DVO website that tells you if your suspension feels like A. then do such and such adjustment to B.

After about half hour of additional fiddling on the trail I now have suspension I am pretty damn happy with, and I learnt a lot more about what all my do-dads on my fork and shock actually do.

www.essentialcycles.com | www.essentialcycles.shop 

Service, Sales & Repair Shop, Mountain Bike Rentals, Coaching & Guiding

May 31, 2013, 6:51 p.m.

^^^This,it's not rocket science,or brain surgery,it's a frickin suspension fork.

May 31, 2013, 9:36 p.m.

I remain unconvinced that any mortal can truly tell the diff. Between close enough and "totally dialled". Just mess around with it till you are OK with it.

May 31, 2013, 10:01 p.m.

I think it depends on the speed you ride. If you pretty much creep down the trail then as long as your sag isn't too off you're good. If you ride faster trails the dynamic stability gains in corners from "dialed" suspension will become more readily apparent.

Check my stuff for sale!

May 31, 2013, 10:17 p.m.

I remain unconvinced that any mortal can truly tell the diff. Between close enough and "totally dialled". Just mess around with it till you are OK with it.

im just a fat hack and 1 click can be the difference between good and not good for me.

June 1, 2013, 11:24 p.m.

arthur will be up and running soon

confirmed. rode up fromme with him today, he's psyched to be getting back to work starting monday, with a 80 person waitlist…

sounds like he went through hell figuring out and coming back from his injury, but his smile and attitude were as bright as ever

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

June 2, 2013, 4:35 a.m.

confirmed. rode up fromme with him today, he's psyched to be getting back to work starting monday, with a 80 person waitlist…

sounds like he went through hell figuring out and coming back from his injury, but his smile and attitude were as bright as ever

yeah, my fiancee had a brain injury from a horse riding accident 5 or 6 years ago now - before I met her. She had to re-learn who people were, she lost her memory for a while, had to re-learn how to read and write.

it can be extremely difficult.

Check my stuff for sale!

June 3, 2013, 8:19 a.m.

Good to hear he's on the doorstep of returning. I'll wait, then, since I'm on said list.

As for setting it up myself, absolutely have tried, and I just can't get it feeling "right". It's a Boxxer WC, and the fork is just too good to not feel absolutely perfect…and I've had that feeling before, so yes, I want it again. I've come to the point where I'd just rather place it in the hands of a pro.

So, maybe you're great at dialling your own forks, Brother Lu, maybe not, and you're just happy w/ a sub-standard set-up or can't tell the differences…if you're actually that good, well, full props, but if you are as good as I am, and are just happy with the fork being OK, well…not what I'm after.